REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

Wow. nice clean miata. I've never been one before w/ flames but they seem to fit in on yours. Have you ever thought of taking the spoiler off? It *might* complement the hardtop better.
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #27
dustinb

I dropped my spare fly wheel off today at JB's to have it lightened. I'm looking forward to having it installed.

On another note, the hard top came off today. My classes ended early so I decided to go for a little drive with the top down. Ended up driving out to 17 mile pub, down gillespie, stopped at becher bay, then took Kangaroo road back to Sooke road. But man, I hadn't really put the new suspension to a test yet until today, and man, you should have seen the smile on my face. I was in car bliss.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #28
dustinb

Figured I might as well post some pictures up - first topless pics of 2007

Last edited by dustinb; 02-22-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #29
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

im loving the headlights. question though, how do they not leak?

Quote:
If its got tits or tires, its got problems.
IslandMx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #30
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandMx3
im loving the headlights. question though, how do they not leak?
Who said anything about them not leaking

Quote:
Originally posted by aspect
I know it's a nitpicky detail but I think the side profile would flow a bit better if your exhaust pointed straight back instead of down a bit. Yes, that's the first time I've considered the angle of one's muffler tip as it relates to the rest of the car.
I completely agree with you on that one. The actual exhaust is fantastic. It has a good deep sound, is made of stainless steel with perfect welds, and it mounted perfectly. But the rear tip is just hideous beyond words. Several people with the same exhaust have described it as a coffee can.

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys
Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #31
dustinb

Question: The bolts holding my valve cover down keep backing out. Any suggestions on what I should use to keep them in (obviously something that isn't permanent).
Old 03-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I can't imagine why they're backing out Dustin but maybe it's because they're not torqued evenly. I have a 3/8 drive inch pound torque wrench you can borrow if you'd like.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #33
I bringith the lowerballerith

You could always try a little Loctite Threadlocker Blue on the threads
4g914d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #34
dustinb

Thanks. I'll try some of that lock tight.

In other news, thanks to Cornel for giving me his old transmission

And I picked up my lightened flywheel from JB's today. They did a wicked job.

How the flywheel looked before (Forgot to take a pic of the actual fly wheel, but it looked exactly like this one:

And now the lightened, machined and balanced one:
Back with the weight ring removed:

And the front:

The weight was reduced from 19 lbs to 15. I should definitely notice a difference in that!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #35
dustinb

Well I've been having this strange issue with the miata the past few years, and I think I just figured it out. When driving the car from a cold start, when the vehicle is finally getting warm, it sometimes gurgles a bunch on me and loses power. Normally if I revved it high it will somewhat fix itself, and the thing becomes drivable again. However, I finally got a check engine light on it when my wife was driving, and apparently it lasted for a few minutes.

So I opened up the diagnostic box, jumpered the ground and ten connect and looked to see what code I got. Turns out my engine coolant sensor that feeds the computer was hosed. My temperature gauge portion works perfectly, so of course I thought the whole thing was fine. I was somewhat surprised to find out I had two different sensors. Anyways research has shown me that a screwed sensor does everything my car was doing, plus it gives horrible fuel mileage because the computer thinks the car is still cold, which I have been having for ages.

We'll see over the next what my mileage is like, but I'm pretty confident the issue has been resolved
Old 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #36
dustinb

Car's running good so far. And now, it sounds even better! For the past 4 years, I've been running a set of 6.5" Blaupunkt Overdrive component speakers. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a new set of 5.25 SAS Bazooka S525 Euphoria components on ebay. Now, I have always had a special place in my heart for SAS, and I lusted over their components big time when they first came out, but the price tag kept them out of my reach. So just seeing these on ebay, and a brand new set at that got me all excited.

Anyways, I got an INSANE deal on them. And yah, I just finished installing them and oh my god they sound amazing. Incredible even. The fullness of the music is just... unbelievable. They are also a very interesting design (the tweeters anyways). So on to the pics!

Here's a picture of the box and the contents still undisturbed.

Like I said, the tweeters use a very different set up from what I've experienced. They install in three parts - the plastic mount, a circuit board with the speaker wires soddered onto it, and the tweeters. The tweeter just spins onto the plastic mount, and it makes contact with the circuit board. Really cool.

The old speakers:

And the new
Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #37
dustinb

Quote:
Hey dustin, how much was that flywheel lightening?
$150 plus tax. They did a great job of it too. I hope to have it installed in a couple of weeks and I'll post what kind of difference it made.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #38
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Dustin, I'm not sure if I've said this before (I think I may have), but I love your car. The colour, the mods, and now the stereo? This is why I want a Miata...

Damn you.

Quote:
Originally posted by BilletPimp
and she wishes you'd realize that she broke up with you ;)
Demosthenes X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes X
Dustin, I'm not sure if I've said this before (I think I may have), but I love your car. The colour, the mods, and now the stereo? This is why I want a Miata...

Damn you.
Thanks man It's always nice to get some positive feedback. You should do something about wanting a miata and buy one
Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #40

LOL... I'm away at Uni till May, but that hasn't stopped me looking. I'm gonna be in the market when I do get home, and right now the Miata's near the top of my list.

Top-down motoring is just too tempting...

Quote:
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #41
dustinb

Quote:
Do it!

Now that is a crazy hot miata. I had those identical turn signal intakes and Ratsback racing CF air dam.

Last edited by dustinb; 03-24-2007 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #42
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Those flares are looooooovely
I didn't really have a thing for the looks of 1st gen miata's until I saw this pic, hot!

Rides:
'05 VW Golf TDI (boosted econobox :evil )
'03 Kawasaki KLX400R (wheelie king)
'84 Italian (daily driver)
'83 RZ-350 (recovered, all except for the electrical)
RZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #43
dustinb

Clutch arrived today. To be installed by $$$$$$$$s on April 4th. I'm excited
Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #44
dustinb

Clutch and flywheel are installed and it drives fantastic. However I think my new throwout bearing or pilot bearing has issues, because I'm getting some noise every once in a while when the clutch is depressed.

Now onto the main reason for this post. My photography skills really suck. I would like to have some killer photo's of the miata, so I'm hoping someone on here who is good at photography will want to do a photoshoot
Old 04-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #45

PM metal.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #46
dustinb

It was such a beautiful today day, I just had to go out and take some pictures. A few of them turned out really well.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #47
dustinb

Installed stainless heater vent rings and a OBX short height shifter. I'm extremely happy with both. The stainless rings go well with my chrome eye vents, and the shifter shifts amazing. It came with a crazy heavy knob.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #48
Need my Daily Fix of RS

too clean, needs some time at the track

1984 vf750f interceptor
2008 city golf
pheonix165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #49
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by pheonix165
too clean, needs some time at the track
I'm hoping to get it out for some auto cross this year. It's just a matter of getting a helmet and then scheduling a weekend off.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #50
Need my Daily Fix of RS

you can barrow mine if need be

1984 vf750f interceptor
2008 city golf
pheonix165 is offline   Reply With Quote