REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
dustinb

Progression of the Miata thread

I've procrastinated this for ages because I keep on thinking the car is close to being "done". However, I know that it will never be done so I decided to start this thread and update it with pictures, and new/coming mods from time to time. I'll kick everything off with a little history on the car:

The miata is a 1990, and I bought it from a guy in Vancouver around June, 2002. The guy had it repainted, and he put some eagle 14" rims on it. There were a few weird things about the car, such as the inside of the trunk being covered with battery acid, and some dings on the outside of the trunk from where the battery slammed into it. The drivers seat had cracks in it, and the soft top was a little haggard. He wanted $7500 for it, which at the time was a decent price. I talked him down $500 (tried for $6500), and then drove it home. Here's a picture of it a week after ownership:

About 6 months after I bought it, my crankshaft blew up inside the engine. It was pretty catastrophic. I decided to replace the engine with a factory refurbished unit, and I also had the engine tuned aggressively.
Old Engine:

New Engine:

To keep this thread from becoming too long, I'll just post the history in fazes. By late 2003 the car looked like this:

I added a real carbon fiber front air dam, Corbeau A4 racing seats, Racing Beat fiberglass deck cover, Racing Beat type I style bar, and a Racing Beat power pulse cold air intake system.

Here's the next phase:

This was in the middle of 2004. I had the carbon fiber air dam painted, deck cover painted, fog lights installed in the air dam, racing beat side fairings, and a spoiler painted and installed.
Advertisement

Last edited by dustinb; 12-12-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
dustinb

The next phase was in July 2005

I purchased a set of BSA 16" rims with Yokohoma A4 tires, custom flames on the side of the car, headlight conversion, turn signal intakes, chrome fuel lid door, black taillights, racing steering wheel, and custom interior paint. I also sold the Corbeau racing seats and refinished the factory ones and put them back in. They fit a lot better and looked better for the size of the car.

And now, the CURRENT phase!

So the car has changed a fair amount since the last phase. Exterior wise, I purchased a VIS fiberglass front end, I sold the turn signal intakes and went back to the original ones, I replaced the antenna, installed some fog lights in the new front end, re did my interior with a black / blue / chrome / brushed scheme, and added the all important revscene stickers. Under the hood I added a stainless tri-y header and catback exhaust, racing beat high flow intake, custom powder coated valve cover, stainless radiator cover, chrome covers for fuse box and brake fluid reservoir, dual radiator fans, and new engine grounds.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
dustinb

Just have to mention I've left a lot of crap out of the previous posts like interior junk and such. I'll get around to taking some interior shots once the hardtop comes off

Current plans include:

Tein S-Tech springs
KYB Shocks
Special lowering bump stops
New clutch
Possible carbon fiber fuel lid door
Old 12-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
dustinb

Just came across this on a miata classified site.

$190 US shipped. Apparently it's brand new, the guy bought it for his 1.6 and decided to drop a V8 in it instead. Seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Dustin, there are way nicer 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers out there. I doubt this one would give you any power gain over a stock exhaust manifold. Racing Beat make a nice one that's all stainless but of course it's more money. It's too bad Brainstorm is gone because the ceramic coated one I had in the old Miata was really nice.
Cornel.........Club Miata Vancouver Island/Victoria Volkswagen Club
m1ataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by m1ataman
Dustin, there are way nicer 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers out there. I doubt this one would give you any power gain over a stock exhaust manifold. Racing Beat make a nice one that's all stainless but of course it's more money. It's too bad Brainstorm is gone because the ceramic coated one I had in the old Miata was really nice.
I have a tri-y stainless right now that is great, but that is a turbo down pipe. I'm thinking I might want to start piecing together a custom turbo setup, and this seems like a really good deal. From just looking online like ebay, just the turbo header portion is about $200 US, and then I'd have to find a down pipe.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #7

I'm a stupidhead. I know nothing about those snails in the engine bay. Now that looks like a much better deal. :/
Old 12-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
dustinb

Santa was good to me.

New shocks - I can finally install those tein springs now.

Goodridge braided clutch line

Official Top Gear t-shirt.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I am the Stig, hahah nice shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
RZZ
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

why don't u buy the kyb agx or knoi yellow instead of those kyb gr2??

kyb gr2 is just little bit stiffer than stock tho...

Quote:
Originally posted by dustinb
New shocks - I can finally install those tein springs now.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #11

They were a gift Ray. Free is good! Congrats Dustin. If you want to do them yourself I have a set of spring compressors you can borrow (and a torch you'll need to get those bottom bolts out of the lower balljoints). If not let me know and I may be able to help you in trade for Beetle parts.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #12
Island Mod

I have never been much of a Miata fan but the latest pics of your car look really good. I like the combination of the front end, hard top and the spoiler. Looks good.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by metal
I am the Stig, hahah nice shirt.
Yah it's great. Has a picture of the stig on the back and the Top Gear logo. I love it. Oh yah, and the tag on the inside of the shirt says : THIS SHIRT WAS TESTED ON ANIMALS. IT DID NOT FIT.

Quote:
Originally posted by RZZ
why don't u buy the kyb agx or knoi yellow instead of those kyb gr2??

kyb gr2 is just little bit stiffer than stock tho...
Well I would've loved to go AGX, but like Cornel said, these were a gift and I wouldn't be close to being able to afford agx's for quite a while. Plus I've also been very happy with how the stock miata shocks handle, so I'm not terribly worried about having a OEM performing shock put back in.

Quote:
They were a gift Ray. Free is good! Congrats Dustin. If you want to do them yourself I have a set of spring compressors you can borrow (and a torch you'll need to get those bottom bolts out of the lower balljoints). If not let me know and I may be able to help you in trade for Beetle parts.
Thanks Cornel! I may take you up on that offer, however, I was thinking now might be a good time to finally visit the guys at $$$$$$$$s. I've just heard so many positive things about them.

That and I'd like to throw the car on the dyno to see what I'm actually producing.

Quote:
Originally posted by projectcivic
I have never been much of a Miata fan but the latest pics of your car look really good. I like the combination of the front end, hard top and the spoiler. Looks good.
Thanks for the compliment. I modify my cars for no one but myself, but it feels good to get some positive feedback every once in a while

Last edited by dustinb; 12-25-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #14
dustinb

The new suspension was installed today at $$$$$$$$. Thanks to Chris for doing an amazing job, I'll definitely be back. As for pictures, my batteries died in the digital camera so no images are available. All I can say is the handling is awesome, and it's nice to get back to a lower height since the larger wheels were put on.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #15

Don't forget to get an alignment done asap Dustin. I'm dropping mine in February with H&R's.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
dustinb

Quote:
Don't forget to get an alignment done asap Dustin. I'm dropping mine in February with H&R's.
That'll look great with those H&R's. As far as alignment, the soonest I can get in is Wednesday. It's amazing how busy shops are right now.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Dude, your car is straight up wicked as is. With a little more oomph to back up the looks, it's going to be a killer package. We're happy to have had it in the shop!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:56 PM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

That spoiler/hardtop combo looks great... wheels suit it, too.

Forced induction is calling your name, though...

Quote:
Originally posted by BilletPimp
and she wishes you'd realize that she broke up with you ;)
Demosthenes X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Black SC2
Dude, your car is straight up wicked as is.
+1 I think I've said this before, but you really need to brush up on your photography skills, you cars way nicer looking in person than any of your pictures show
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #20
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by stevo911_
+1 I think I've said this before, but you really need to brush up on your photography skills, you cars way nicer looking in person than any of your pictures show
Heh, yah I suck at photography I think I'm getting a little better, but I need someone to take some shots of it.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

As for more go, I'm starting a new savings fund for the greddy turbo kit. I've put it off long enough.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
B&S Sexy mod

the last few shots are deffinately better, but theres a few photonuts on here who take some nice pics.
glad to hear your gonna insert some zoom zoom into the miata
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #22
dustinb

I had the car aligned today at Simoes. I was very impressed with the job they did and the price the charged me. Would definitely recommend them. I also took a few pictures of the miata (really dirty). It's amazing how different the car handles now. Not only is it more responsive, but it's also a smoother ride then what I previously had. The car was basically riding on the bump stops before.

So my suspension consists of:
KYB GR-2 shocks
Tein S-Tech Springs
Fast cat motorsports customs bump stops (adds an extra inch of travel to allow smooth ride with lowering springs).

Last edited by dustinb; 01-03-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
RZZ
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

those GR2 is Gift!...that's nice

how much does Tein S-Tech Springs lower the miata?
I thought your car will look lower with the S-Tech...???!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Same height with the S-tech's?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
really?.. some reason im afraid of taking shits after ghost movies.. i always think about what if a ghost's hand came out of the toilet and grabbed my nuts or stuck its hand in my ass -___________-.... i mean if it came outa the mirror id have reaction time to run but the toilets.. thats a pretty good blind spot to sneak up on people from -_____- ...
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #25
dustinb

Quote:
Originally posted by metal
Same height with the S-tech's?!
Yah it's pretty close. S-tech's were supposed to lower the front 1.1" and the rear .75". Because my old suspension was original, the natural sag probably put it close to that. It is slightly lower, but not as dramatic as I thought it'd be.