REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
gotdang I gotta learn to answer posts directed at me with more delicately and maturely than my first post after you told me I didn't know WTF i was talking about. I'm not one of these net dudes at all, Imma stand up guy. But you guys arent even reading WTF I'm posting, your own little ideas in your own little world, nowhere did I say you cant drive single turbo on the street nor that it's only good for drag racing. Both are drivable on the street, the only point I'm trying to get across to you is that TT is the preferred choice for daily street driving the world over. If you're gonna start an argument over misreading and misquoting someones posts then your internet etiquette leaves a lot to be desired, cuz that's some rookie shit right there. And don't think and assume how I'm talking, but READ how I'm talking guy, cuz what I type is exactly what I mean. If you do that a bit more often and you'll be able to avoid unpleasant misunderstandings online like the one we have here.

And I still stick to my equation of TT's being much better for typical daily low rpm driving, and single turbos being the right choice for high hp monsters you can find in places where higher rpm's are a must, typically places other than a city street. But this doesn't limit single turbos to strictly this and you can't write them off for shitty street use since they can be street driven as well, just not as well as TT's can.

EDIT: you OWN a Supra so you should know this already..you should also know the reason most Supra drivers prefer single over TT is because they're all trying to hit monster HP numbers that makes the turbo Supra a legend among sport cars, and if you got a 94+ year Supra and you're pushing anything less than 500whp, then you ain't even in the game. But usually we're talking close to 1000hp numbers, and these numbers are achieved almost exclusively with single turbos, thus the reason most Supra owners prefer single turbo setups over TT.

and please dontt fackin happy face finger me dude, come on man you dont know me, we don't know eachother well enough for that, we cudda been pals since we both own a G but you had to go and happy face finger me, you done fakked it up meng
Advertisement

Last edited by G-spec; 02-29-2008 at 02:03 AM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

if u do buy a mk4 supra they come either tt or non turbo. People have boughtenkits for the non turbo 2jzge and were able to yeild good numbers 350-400whp on stock internals. If you do go the na-t route get a thicker headgasket as well to lower compression. Problem with the 2jzge with turbo is that if u want more power then 380whp transmission will hold you back and so will your differential cause it wont last long. Personally i would compare pricing of the tt supra vs non turbo supra and go from there. As for Single turbo it is good and bad depending what you want to do with the car -ex drag or autox. If u want to go on a track tt would be much better because you have no turbo lag and with single turbo u have lots of lag but good for drag racing. Great thing about single turbo is you minimize the vaccums lines and have a less chance of a boostleak as its easier to locate the problem with less hoses vs the twinturbo system its two of everything and tons of vaccum lines.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #28

buy a twin convert to single, all you gotta do is change the manifold
seper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Last edited by The_Chief; 12-03-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: 2
The_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #30
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Single turbos are fine for street use. The notion that they aren't is silly. Its all in your spool/peak boost time. Larger turbos that hit full spool later on aren't ideal but there are pleanty of streetable single turbos that will murder most cars on the road, twin turbo or not.
AdamCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #31
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
comes as a sequential set up from factory..

why not convert it to parallel twin turbo set up? =)

and there's always the mark II that you can swap any newer supra motor in.. =) (it'll be faster. shhh)

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #32
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Because sequential setup offers faster spool ups..

because since it is an I6 having twin turbos is rather unnecessary.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:36 AM   #33
RS controls my life!

I think you should research on the running cost before you buy one. Kids those days think they can just buy a nice car and thats that they don't think wether or not they can afford it.
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #34

i love my turbo supra.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #35

start with a 2J block. Also the 6speed that they come with will be what you want for your single turbo setup
CD9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #36
I am Hook'd on RS

supras own!
harv_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #37
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
comes as a sequential set up from factory..

why not convert it to parallel twin turbo set up? =)

and there's always the mark II that you can swap any newer supra motor in.. =) (it'll be faster. shhh)
TTC mod sucks really. All the lag of a single turbo, and none of the power... I'm upgrading my twins to hybrid GT-28s, retaining the sequential system. should push out over 500+ hp
mark88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #38
I am Hook'd on RS

supra is sick hahahahah
xing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #39
I am Hook'd on RS

1000 hp supra lol
xing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #40
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If you think your a finesse driver and can use your skills to every advantage on the curves to make ground try the twins. Though you will be limited to 450-500 whp at best with supporting mods.For some people such as in this case I'd suggest buying an already built car and if you don't want to be passed like a lifeless boulder on the straights go single. I know people that road race and one of them's using 61mm turbo@ 501whp believe me there's not alot of lag.

hth
Overstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

supra's are crap

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozzle View Post
but TT convert to single then sell your TTs...by converting to single i'm guessing you want to aim for max power...2jzge has lower compression ratio than the TT engine...keep that in mind
That proves right there that you know nothing go home and do not come back.

Ryan is the king of AWESOME!!!!!
Turbo Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #43

lol supra have 3 cyc's and 50 turbos

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)

Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
lol supra have 3 cyc's and 50 turbos
No no no you have it all wrong, the non turbo Supra makes 300hp and the turbo Supra makes 250hp. The turbos make the exhaust way more restricted and it takes away power.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #45
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

is it just me, or would a single turbo supra be better for the street, as it takes longer for turbos to spool, thus you can have a bigger rpm range without spooling, thus giving you better gas mileage? i may be completely wrong, just a though
Old 11-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_mos View Post
is it just me, or would a single turbo supra be better for the street, as it takes longer for turbos to spool, thus you can have a bigger rpm range without spooling, thus giving you better gas mileage? i may be completely wrong, just a though
Well from a pure economy view yes a bit, but you have to remember when people are going to singles there also changing a lot of other things. Usually adding cams, big injectors, standalone that are not as economy based as a OEM ECU and so on.

For a pure fun to drive street set up the stock twins are fine. There able to make 500whp on stock twins now anyways. If you really do not want the stock twins get a small single like a T61 for street use and road racing. Not all Supra owners go for huge singles and want the big dick power.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #47
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Drifter View Post
Well from a pure economy view yes a bit, but you have to remember when people are going to singles there also changing a lot of other things. Usually adding cams, big injectors, standalone that are not as economy based as a OEM ECU and so on.

For a pure fun to drive street set up the stock twins are fine. There able to make 500whp on stock twins now anyways. If you really do not want the stock twins get a small single like a T61 for street use and road racing. Not all Supra owners go for huge singles and want the big dick power.
Finally someone else realizes what these can do on the stock twins. Everyone wants to do a big single swap. 500whp is more than enough for the street.
brine04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #48

sad part at 500 rwhp on stock tiwns is death to them

but it is sure fun wheil they last

like 1 year of beat teh shit of them or life time fi you are a grannny

remmber milage and per onwer are mean to these cars

Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #49
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
sad part at 500 rwhp on stock tiwns is death to them

but it is sure fun wheil they last

like 1 year of beat teh shit of them or life time fi you are a grannny

remmber milage and per onwer are mean to these cars
+1
sure they could do 500whp, but for how long?
no way stock twins will last long with 500whp

stock twins should only be boosted 18psi max with 94octane
18psi should yield you around 400whp depending mods.

Last edited by yadoh; 11-28-2008 at 10:51 PM.
yadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vo604 View Post
+1
sure they could do 500whp, but for how long?
no way stock twins will last long with 500whp

stock twins should only be boosted 18psi max with 94octane
18psi should yield you around 400whp depending mods.
I totally agree, stock twins will not last long at 500whp. For the record only one car has made over 500whp on the stock twins too. That car had a fully built engine and head. It was purely done to break a record and that they did.

I will still say for a all round fun street set up the stock twins are fine as long as there looked after and you maintain the car. If you want to start racing or making more than 450ish power on a regular basis the stock twins are not going to last long. When I say long it goes back to the maintenance of the car and how hard its driven.

Once the stock twins do go bad there are a few options #1 is a small single (they usually do not requite a lot of other mods to make good power) #2 Hybrid twins (they bolt onto the stock manifolds and piping) #3 Bigger single (will require bigger inter cooler, Injectors, exhaust, management)

That list of 1-3 is by price of upgrade.

A well sized single will spool almost as fast as stock twins and make quite a bit more power. The big thing with this is a single will have no problem making good usable power far beyond were the stock twins will. In doing so you pick up a lot of higher power reliability as you are not pushing it as hard.

There are some high power twin setups from HKS and I have driven one running 780+ whp. I have to say there was no difference in the way it drove compared to a big single. The car drove the same as the GT42R car I drove with the same power.

I know for a fact though that if something ever happened to the GT42R turbo it would be at least 1/2 the cost to fix over the HKS twin car.

Jeremy