REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #51
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
buy the 2jz-gte, then do the single turbo conversion.

the supra tt's were rated around 320hp, the NA's sharing the same engine as the SC300, GS300, IS300 (slight differences in the transmission and how the center driveshaft was connected) were rated around 225hp.

buy the supra TT if u can get ur hands on one. if ur dead set on a single turbo conversion, then either buy one of the many kits out there (blitz comes to mind) or get some custom fab done to make the turbo manifold. just dont forget the big downpipe!

as far as i remember, the turbos on the TT are identical, just sequential.
Advertisement

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #52
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
buy the 2jz-gte, then do the single turbo conversion.

the supra tt's were rated around 320hp, the NA's sharing the same engine as the SC300, GS300, IS300 (slight differences in the transmission and how the center driveshaft was connected) were rated around 225hp.

buy the supra TT if u can get ur hands on one. if ur dead set on a single turbo conversion, then either buy one of the many kits out there (blitz comes to mind) or get some custom fab done to make the turbo manifold. just dont forget the big downpipe!

as far as i remember, the turbos on the TT are identical, just sequential.
as for the supra tt hes looking at a JDM supra RHD, which would mean it only makes 280hp, the 320HP is the usdm. and as for the same engine of the turbo and na, the na has higher compression pistons then the 2jzgte which has lower compression for boost.

as for setting you self up for a single make sure you have all the supporting mods to hold a single, if your planning on going JDM, or even usdm.

but for me if im planning on running 700whp id say big single, but if it's just for street and not race id have to say the usdm 320hp stock it well more then enough and a 400hp supra with twins are good for a stock supra.
karies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #53
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
sure makes u wonder whats the significant different between the jdm 2jzgte and the usdm 2jzgte. are the internals different? or the ecu just turned down the boost?

the biggest physical on first glance difference between the NA and the TT difference that i remember seeing is the stupid intake manifold on the NA's that go over valve cover which makes changing something as simple as the spark plugs a complete bitch.

im not sure if the na supra's ge had vvti though.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #54

the jdm 2jz and the usdm 2jz, are almost identical except for the turbo's the injectors iirc.

yes at a glance you can notice the Intake, valve covers, coils, distributer, afm.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #55
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karies View Post
the jdm 2jz and the usdm 2jz, are almost identical except for the turbo's the injectors iirc.

yes at a glance you can notice the Intake, valve covers, coils, distributer, afm.
The difference between the JDM 2jz-gte and the USDM one is Turbos, Cams, Injectors, ECU JDM is a MAP system and USDM is a MAF. The cams are the main difference the JDM ones are very mild. The JDM turbos are also not as robust as the USDM ones, they have ceramic turbine wheels.

The USDM engine is a bit more aggressive than the JDM one because of those differences.

The JDM 2jz is in fact de-tuned to stay around the gentleman power limit.

Jeremy

Ryan is the king of AWESOME!!!!!

Last edited by Turbo Drifter; 12-04-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Turbo Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #56

^^ now there are all the facts, jeremy just point out the whole differences between the 2!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #57
I don't get it

Heres the list of parts from my 94 TT, it was a killer street setup, did not get a chance to do a race gas tune tho

HKS Manifold
HKS 60mm Wastegate
Garrett GT4088R
Custom 4" down/midpipe
HKS Ti Exhaust
Titan 1000 CC Fuel Kit
Greddy 4 Row
RPS clutch, with new Toyota Flywheel
TRD Diff
HKS VPro installed and tuned by RCTS in Calgary
HKS boost controller

It ran 11.7 at 123MPH in Edmonton at only 17.5psi, first and only time at the track with it.

If you do plan on going single please do not cheap out! Its a disgrace to the car. Stay away from cheap EBay parts and Boost Logic (BL) ect... Just get the high end shit and you wont regret it!
alwaysideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #58
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

whats wrong with boost logic products?
i have a boost logic turbo kit and it looks like a good kit. manifold has no slag inside, welds look good

i got
boost logic manifold
boost logic 4" downpipe/midpipe
gt4088r 1.06ar
tial 44mm wastegate
hks vpro /w knock amp
hks evc 6
hks ti exhaust
hks type r intercooler
hks 264/264 cams
titan fuel system

we have pretty similar set ups i havent got mine tuned yet but ill probably add meth injection when i do.

Last edited by yadoh; 12-06-2008 at 04:05 PM.
yadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #59
I don't get it

I didn't post to insult anyones choice of parts. I only posted my opinion which is based on seeing both HKS parts and BL parts side by side. I spent almost 3 years lurking on supraforums before making my decisions as who to talk to in order to build a reliable street car. I know BL is a reputable company who produces decent products. All I want to suggest is that the Supra is one of the best cars out there and being such, it should have the best of the best parts installed on it.

If you plan on pushing High boost levels you may want to think about switching your 44mm tial out for a larger 60mm or having 2-44mm tials, to avoid the inevitable boost creep. I dont know your plans/goals either, and Im sure you have done enough research to back up your choice in parts. BTW who installed your VPro and gave you the intial map?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #60

i just cant believe u put boost logic in the same sentence with ebay parts..
boost logic is more of a bang for buck turbo kit but it's still a reliable kit. i havent seen anyone complain about their bl turbo kit on supraforums.com
this is how i would rank T4 turbo kits for supras.
full race>hks>greddy/boostlogic>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ebay
i rather keep my stock twins than put an ebay turbo kit on.

i highly doubt ill have any boost creep with a 44mm tial wastegate, especially with a small 63mm turbo. maybe in winter due to colder weather but thats a given.
my goal is to hit full boost by 4000rpm, 500-530whp pump gas, 650whp meth/pump gas.

Last edited by yadoh; 12-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #61

forgot to say, i only got the boost logic turbo kit because i got a crazy deal on it brand new. i couldn't pass.
if i sold it now i'd make a pretty good profit.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #62
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i didnt bother reading through all the crap so if its allready been said disregard it. if u are looking at the jdm supra mk3 with the 1jz-gte there are many big single kits for it some cheap as the ct12a's dont do well over the stock boost and like pooping out the ceramic exhaust wheels. the 2jz-gte comes with ct20a's on jdm i think they take a little more boost im sure there are alot of single turbo kits out there for it also. but if its just gonna be a daily leave it the way it is they're great motors
ryanmacneil8448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #63

http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Category74.php

here you go mang
ryanmacneil8448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #64
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If your hung up on a single turbo and are not looking for more than 400-450 save you self some money and buy a N/A car to start with the motors are more than stout about the only difference for 2jz's in piston oiler's even the pistons are the same (don't quote me) FYI both 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE are twin turbo's the later is a sequential system tho, 1JZ's just have 2 paralleled turbos
RedRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #65
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Hey guys, just a quick question.
I've always wanted a TT Supra, and would like to buy one in several years time and hopefully rebuild the engine to light mods (i'm assuming i'll keep the TT as I'd like to use it as an occasional daily driver).
If I rebuilt the engine to new condition and did the normal upgrades like exhaust, suspension, wheels, boost controllers, BOV, downpipes etc, and a decent sound system, how much would you guys roughly reckon it'd come to (total cost of used vehicle, parts, labor, etc.)
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I've always wanted a TT Supra, and would like to buy one in several years time and hopefully rebuild the engine to light mods (i'm assuming i'll keep the TT as I'd like to use it as an occasional daily driver).
If I rebuilt the engine to new condition and did the normal upgrades like exhaust, suspension, wheels, boost controllers, BOV, downpipes etc, and a decent sound system, how much would you guys roughly reckon it'd come to (total cost of used vehicle, parts, labor, etc.)
Hmm, in several years, 1 miilllliiiiiooooon dollars.
og_greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #67
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post

What is several years 5, 10, 25???? depends.....
Id say:
Worry about it in several years times!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #68
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Sweet- now just make sure you buy a twin scroll turbo to go along with it.

You benchracers that think single turbo setups have to be laggy and are inferior on the street crack me up.

I have a T04R on my car, which is a 2.8L inline 6 (so slightly smaller than a supra motor actually). It's a 600-700hp capable turbo and I have full boost by 2800rpm.

That is not laggy. Twin scroll owns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadoh View Post
whats wrong with boost logic products?
i have a boost logic turbo kit and it looks like a good kit. manifold has no slag inside, welds look good

i got
boost logic manifold
boost logic 4" downpipe/midpipe
gt4088r 1.06ar
tial 44mm wastegate
hks vpro /w knock amp
hks evc 6
hks ti exhaust
hks type r intercooler
hks 264/264 cams
titan fuel system

we have pretty similar set ups i havent got mine tuned yet but ill probably add meth injection when i do.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

hell i never put tiwn scroll on that i whould wana try the spool vavle on it that be pretty sweet and bigger hot side

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #70
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
hell i never put tiwn scroll on that i whould wana try the spool vavle on it that be pretty sweet and bigger hot side
What?
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #71
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post

I have a T04R on my car, which is a 2.8L inline 6 (so slightly smaller than a supra motor actually). It's a 600-700hp capable turbo and I have full boost by 2800rpm.

That is not laggy. Twin scroll owns.
Sure you do....... If for some crazy reason you are making full boost by 2800RPM what is full boost 2psi?

Twin scroll turbines do help a bit but there is no way it will make a 700hp capable turbo make real boost at 2800rpm on a 2.8L. I want to see a dyno or a log showing full boost at 2800RPM.

Also if have a very small turbine to make boost down there for some reason I would love to see what you are running for exhaust back pressure.

Ryan is the king of AWESOME!!!!!

Last edited by Turbo Drifter; 05-22-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Turbo Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #72
RS Lurker, I don't post!

hahaha this thread is funny..
2jz-gte came with forged pistons and rods, oil squartls, no VVIT, compression 8.5:1 tranny is v160 6 speeed/ or 4 speed auto
2jz-ge normal rods and pistons came with VVIT, compression 10.5:1 tranny is w 58

so if you looking to do a supra, get a proper supra right away which would be one with 2jz-gte, that engine itself can hold tons of power with light mods and single turbo converison tranny is super strong as well
is300t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #73
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Anyone in the market for a LHD 6spd mkiv?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #74
Corny FTW!! MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post

Yeah. I will have to call BS on this one, unless you can show a viable dynograph.

How many PSI is "fullboost" to you?

Sponsored by:
Soundsgood

For all your car audio needs!
#3-910 Tupper Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3K 1A5
Shop: 604-961-8626
www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 to 6:00
FeistyBearH22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #75
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Turboing N/A 2J? Bad Idea.

You have to fight lots of detonation to tune it properly.

You should buy twin turbo supra and do some basic mod first, (exhaust,

intake, boost control..... etc), get used to the power, then think about more

upgrade.

Sequencial turbo set up on TT is pretty tricky and hard to work on, but if you

change all the vacuum lines and secure it porperly first, then it will be a lot

more reliable than you'll think.

We've done a lot of high horse power supra's with big single or big twins, and

also tuned quite a few stock TT set up.

Even with stock turbo's (USDM not JDM) it will do about 320rwhp on our dyno

(closed to 450 at the crank) with proper surpporting mod.

That's more than good enough for me to have fun daily driving the car with sweet power band from sequencial set up.

www.racinggreed.com

RG RACING

Tel: 604.554.0170
Unit 110 - 1650 Broadway St
Port Coquitlam, BC
V3C 6P8

Like us on facebook & follow the shops developments and customer cars:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Racing...40448429329074

Last edited by RacingGreed; 11-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.
RacingGreed is offline   Reply With Quote