REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Racing at CartBC

Last weekend I had the chance to go out and race at CartBC. Its an internationally recognized Kart racing track in our back yard. Well its in Chilliwack, your yard would have to be really big, anyways. Check out the layout!

Its a very technical, clockwise running 12 cornered that are mostly medium to high speed. Even going to watch is a blast and I highly recommend it.

Thats me in Turn 3, an awesome corner which is very rewarding to get right. If you are interested in how I got to do it and how I did. As well as a review of the kart and stories from the whole weekend, check out my blog!!

http://richardbasford.blogspot.com/

rich
Advertisement
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
this obviously isnt a rental place i take it?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
hahaah this looks like a photoshop

but yea what hondaracer said ? anybody can rent carts and race here right ? or do you need a drivers license ? i wanna take my little brothers along to give it a try
Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

I don't think so, but you can show up on race weekends and during the lunch break, you can pay $10 for a "try a kart", where you get to jump into an instructor kart and try it out.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

The next practice/race is on April 12/13. Supposedly if you show up before 11am you can pay $10 to rent a cart for an hour.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
That is fucking awesome. I know what I am doing next time I come to the mainland.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #7

I have heard a little about the "try a kart" but it is a more race focused track. If you are looking to take your lil brother out Adon, there are a few places to go.

F440 by splashdown has karts ranging from dangerously slow to dangerously fast. They just purchased a few karts they have named the 'evo karts', they are open wheel, small 4 stroke engines and are really fun. The track is fun, mainly slow corners but laps are long and exciting.

TBC karting in richmond is still my favorite place to go for public racing. The course is fun and technical. You do need to know how to drive to get a fast time because of the slippery surface. The karts are very good and still somewhat new and its indoor.

For my race weekend I contacted a local kart dealer and rented through them. It was an awesome experience and there is plenty more about it on my blog.

rich
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
racing & tech mod.

Rich, that is absolutely awesome. I would be there right next to you if I wasn't already diving into CACC racing with my 944turbo.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #9

Rich, that sounds exciting!!! wow good luck!! Did you take the drivers training with SCCBC this year by any chance? If you did, how was the new course?

rich....ard B :P
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
RTS
My homepage has been set to RS

are you trying to become a pro open wheel driver?
RTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
I don't think so, but you can show up on race weekends and during the lunch break, you can pay $10 for a "try a kart", where you get to jump into an instructor kart and try it out.
lets hit it up next time alex! tbc is too boring...
2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX GSR SE - Keeper
|<e|_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx View Post
Rich, that sounds exciting!!! wow good luck!! Did you take the drivers training with SCCBC this year by any chance? If you did, how was the new course?

rich....ard B :P
I have not done the race school yet.. I'm still debating which school & cars to do it with.

But, I just had a wet DE at Mission on March24th, and it was awesome. The new layout is fantastic. Well, turn 1 is, anyways - we couldn't use the new turn 7 sweeper because there is not enough runoff and so we were still using 7/8/9.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #13

Ya I heard they need to put in a 'kink' before the new turn 7... thats a shame... did you have to change line in the wet? I would guess the track is pretty green after the winter... I am looking forward to a good track day at mission...

RTS, of course I would love to drive open wheel or any higher form of competitive racing... my main focus right now is having fun, learning a lot and gaining experience. I don't think there is a better place to get it than karting for the money, so here I am.

another pic for you guys, me with a handfull of oversteer

rich
Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by |<e|_ View Post
lets hit it up next time alex! tbc is too boring...
how does the 13th sound? I'm probably working on the 12th.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #15

there are 10yr olds racing at these events... contact coastal kart racers for more info about ages, restrictions etc.

i saw their booth set up at the autoshow, and asked a few questions..
Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #16

For sure sho_bc... when you see a little 8 or 9 year old with a helmet as big as their body on fly down the straight at around 50k its awesome... they are good little drivers too.. they know the difference between a wet line and a dry line and set up passes neatly in passing zones...

future professional drivers :P

rich
Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #17

What was the deal with this "arrive and drive" thing you had? Is that something anyone can do, or is it only for those interested in venturing into the world of kart racing? and how much did it cost? Included the gear as well (minus your own helmet, for you)? I only bought an open faced helmet for auto-x, should have bought a full-faced one.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #18

I reluctantly give you the info about arrive and drive because the # of karts available are low and I want to go out a few more times before I decide to get my own or not. But here is the brake down.

I paid $300 + tax in advance for the weekend. I showed up to italian motors (on clark) and they fit me into a kart. Having 99% of the gear I needed, I showed up to race early saturday morning. If I didn't have the gear, they would have provided everything accept shoes (suite,gloves,helmet,balaclava,rib protector, all included). I had to join the Westwood Karting Association who hosts the 'club events' italian motors runs their arrive and drive weekends with. They bring everything including mechanics to work on any problems with the kart during the weekend and to help you out. Of course if I caused any damage to the kart, I would be responsible for covering the damage, however if the engine let go or a part broke due to wear, it would be covered by Italian motors.

My experience was awesome, and if you asked my fellow arrive and drive racer for the weekend, he would say the same. The staff at Italian motors was really help-full and nice. The mechanics were awesome, fixing any problem that came up and showing me how and why they were doing while they did it. We also just sat around talking about f1 for 1/2 the day anyways.

Beware, I am hooked... I want my own kart. I want to race in the TaG light class, and I don't really care what it takes, I want to do well. I guess thats why they price the arrive and drive so well, its like a free hit of crack, you will be back.

more info on the numerous posts on my blog:
http://richardbasford.blogspot.com/

Italian Motors:
http://www.italianmotors.com

Westwood Karting Association:
http://www.westwoodkarting.org/

rich
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #19

Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll do the arrive and drive thing, as I'm sure I'd get hooked too. I remember my very first auto-x event all too well: hooked before I even drove my first run. I'm going to be leaving soon, for who knows how long, so I don't need another expensive hobby to get into.

I am trying to get my little brother into karting, so once he becomes more comfortable with the whole driving thing (he's been to tbc twice and thats all the experience with driving he's had), I'll look at getting him set up with IM for that.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #20

Thats awesome!!! I am sure they have something for a kid to get started with. I felt like such a noob watching 9 year old kids during the wet track sessions to see their line.

The guy that beat me in both final races of the weekend was 15. He had been racing from when he was 7 and it showed. I had a better fastest lap then him, but his speed on cold tires was beyond me. I think its a great environment to learn racing too, everyone is really nice, especially to the kids. I watched the end of 2 young kid races and the whole grandstand cheered when they went across the line.

rich
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #21

since he was 7? my brother is 14... thats a lot of extra experience.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #22

I know, those little buggers hahaha... that weekend though, the most fun I have had with my clothes on!

rich
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

great blog...thanks for sharing the race weekend with us

karting was something i wanted to get into, but this arrive and drive is a great way to introduce karting to those that never done it before. great cheap alternative before getting into karting too seriously.

Conclusion: Girls are stupid and illogical. If you stay, you will be pussy-whipped.

Patrick L.S. Wong
trix25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #24

Thanks trix!!!

I think karting isn't just a kids sport anymore. I would say the driver average age was mid 20's. Nor does weight or size, they have a class for everyone.

If your interested at all and don't mind the drive, watching is awesome. and they have some decent food at the track

rich
Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #25
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Damn, that looks like a frickin' blast.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote