REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #2176
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If you've got a bit of money saved up, I'd do it just for the experience.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #2177
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Do what you love not what makes more money. I tell that to my wife who is 2 years into her job. Make sure your happy or you'll regret it being stuck at the same job.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #2178
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
I'd do it for the experience. And use electrican as the back up plan
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #2179
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #2180
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

just finished my arm yesterday, now to figure out what i want on the other arm, work done by jeremy riley at tattoo union
Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #2181
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
seems kinda random to ask on here but I ll share anyways.

I m currently applied for electrician course starting september and I m having second thoughts. My tattoo artist has offered me to go to Taiwan with him and learn his work.

He will be visiting this upcoming summer and if I do decide to be his apprentice then I will fly back with him. now I dont know how long I will have to learn but I m guessing I would atleast have to learn how to draw and everything for 2-3 years? before I even start holding a tattoo gun.

tbh for both electrician and tattoo I m a noob. I only enjoy getting inkd but I know nothing about it.

theres definitely alot of pros and cons to both fields.

what do you guys think?
Coming from someone who just got into an apprenticeship, you really have to take drawing seriously. I drew everyday for a full year at 8 hours a day some days even more, and i don't believe i'm anywhere close to being acceptable as an artist
the key to any successful tattoo artist, is having the ability to put ideas onto paper and practice.
jeff gogue is a prime example.
truong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #2182
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
seems kinda random to ask on here but I ll share anyways.

I m currently applied for electrician course starting september and I m having second thoughts. My tattoo artist has offered me to go to Taiwan with him and learn his work.

He will be visiting this upcoming summer and if I do decide to be his apprentice then I will fly back with him. now I dont know how long I will have to learn but I m guessing I would atleast have to learn how to draw and everything for 2-3 years? before I even start holding a tattoo gun.

tbh for both electrician and tattoo I m a noob. I only enjoy getting inkd but I know nothing about it.

theres definitely alot of pros and cons to both fields.

what do you guys think?
I had a brief stint as a tattoo apprentice. Being someone with no drawing background i can seriously say that is is entirely possible for someone with no experience to "learn" how to draw. Many of the tattoo design are base around the same subject matter and if your sifu is willing to teach you HOW to draw, and you put the work in you will pick it up and may even discover a subject matter in tattoo that you excel in. the key is in your mentor, most tattoo artist does not take on people that can't draw because teaching someone to draw is very time consuming and it requires the student to have absolute passion and drive. and contrary to popular belief, while vast majority of tattoo artist had art background before getting an apprenticeship, being good frds with the tattoo artist is also a valid way of getting your foot in the door. You have to remember the tattoo artist is basically teaching you their livelihood and relying on your integrity to not back stab them once you have learn their craft. Old school tattoo artist will apprentice someone they trust rather than someone with an amazing portfolio.

However having said that, you are going to have a very hard time compared to someone that has draw all their life. And chances are you will not be one of the big name tattoo artist that have clients lining up for years to get work from. However just like any field of work, there are 10% of those that are superstar within their field and than there are the vast majority that doesn't suck but doesn't rock either. there are million of tattoo artist working in shops that can't really do custom design, that can only do a certain style etc.

what I'm really trying to say is. You probably won't become the tattoo artist you look up to, you probably won't make as money as an electricians. You will be working long hours and doing shit work as an apprentice with little pay. There will not be medical benefit or overtime. You will doubt yourself as you are drawing that dragon head for the millionth time. You will want to rip your hair out tattooing gay little stars on college kids while your mentor is doing back pieces and sleeves.

Being an artist of anything is really fuel by passion rather than money. Don't get into tattooing because it cool, don't get into thinking you will make big bucks. Do it for the passion. People look down on scratchers, but the fact is a lot of big name tattoo artist got their start tattooing out of their apartment, what separates them from the scratchers that still scratch out of their kitchen is passion. The will the say no to other legit opportunity because they are crazy enough to want to excel in something as intangible as art.

Does this sound like you? if not stick to being an electrician, you will have less head and heartaches
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
I had a brief stint as a tattoo apprentice. Being someone with no drawing background i can seriously say that is is entirely possible for someone with no experience to "learn" how to draw. Many of the tattoo design are base around the same subject matter and if your sifu is willing to teach you HOW to draw, and you put the work in you will pick it up and may even discover a subject matter in tattoo that you excel in. the key is in your mentor, most tattoo artist does not take on people that can't draw because teaching someone to draw is very time consuming and it requires the student to have absolute passion and drive. and contrary to popular belief, while vast majority of tattoo artist had art background before getting an apprenticeship, being good frds with the tattoo artist is also a valid way of getting your foot in the door. You have to remember the tattoo artist is basically teaching you their livelihood and relying on your integrity to not back stab them once you have learn their craft. Old school tattoo artist will apprentice someone they trust rather than someone with an amazing portfolio.

Amen to that brotha! Where did you apprentice ? And how come you stopped?
However having said that, you are going to have a very hard time compared to someone that has draw all their life. And chances are you will not be one of the big name tattoo artist that have clients lining up for years to get work from. However just like any field of work, there are 10% of those that are superstar within their field and than there are the vast majority that doesn't suck but doesn't rock either. there are million of tattoo artist working in shops that can't really do custom design, that can only do a certain style etc.

what I'm really trying to say is. You probably won't become the tattoo artist you look up to, you probably won't make as money as an electricians. You will be working long hours and doing shit work as an apprentice with little pay. There will not be medical benefit or overtime. You will doubt yourself as you are drawing that dragon head for the millionth time. You will want to rip your hair out tattooing gay little stars on college kids while your mentor is doing back pieces and sleeves.

Being an artist of anything is really fuel by passion rather than money. Don't get into tattooing because it cool, don't get into thinking you will make big bucks. Do it for the passion. People look down on scratchers, but the fact is a lot of big name tattoo artist got their start tattooing out of their apartment, what separates them from the scratchers that still scratch out of their kitchen is passion. The will the say no to other legit opportunity because they are crazy enough to want to excel in something as intangible as art.

Does this sound like you? if not stick to being an electrician, you will have less head and heartaches
Posted via RS Mobile

Amen brotha! How come you stopped?

Last edited by truong; 01-12-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #2184
I STILL don't get it

phantom x is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by truong View Post
Posted via RS Mobile

Amen brotha! How come you stopped?
I was apprenticing in asia. basically A lot of drama happened, a girl got involve between me and my mentor….. I was forced out of the shop basically. I decided to pursue other opportunities at the times.

basically what i said before. I love tattoo and everything surrounding it, but I do not have the passion to go crazy for it and ditch all my other life plans and opportunities.

I still dream though…. maybe one day
Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #2186
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
instagram is pretty great for tattoo's/artists and even bookings etc. it seems

Horiyu got some awesome stuff going on lately, definately top notch for a local guy it would seem
Old 01-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #2187

been thinking about a back of the neck tattoo. just below the cervical. in my mind it would only be mildly visible when wearing a tee shirt and completely hidden when wearing anything with a collar. Thought the same way about my chest tattoo but it turns out to be my most visible tattoo…

anybody have one at the same spot?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #2188
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
Thanks Truong and Threezero, very informative reponse.

I think I will most likely stick to my course, but will still learn the basics on how tattoo works, as it doesnt hurt to learn something of everything.

since artist is here every year, He could always teach me something new about the art.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #2189

Quote:
been thinking about a back of the neck tattoo. just below the cervical. in my mind it would only be mildly visible when wearing a tee shirt and completely hidden when wearing anything with a collar. Thought the same way about my chest tattoo but it turns out to be my most visible tattoo…

anybody have one at the same spot?
too late. book my appointment with Jesse. Looking forward, haven't been tattooed for a while
Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #2190
I STILL don't get it

3 sittings in 7 days !!

Working away with the background

Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #2191
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
OK pretty sure you'd bleed ink at this point
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #2192

some line work i've completed. my first and 2nd tattoo out of trigger happy

Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #2193

solid looking line work!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #2194
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
OK pretty sure you'd bleed ink at this point
Lol yeah i think so too .. So close to finishing up this leg
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #2195
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
phantom, love how its coming together with the colors and the shading looks really sharp!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #2196
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
phantom, love how its coming together with the colors and the shading looks really sharp!
Thanx dude !.. Next 3 sittings are in feb
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #2197
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom x View Post
Thanx dude !.. Next 3 sittings are in feb
Posted via RS Mobile
How do you sleep at night? I find thats the worst part about getting a tattoo is the paper on your skin and trying to sleep. You get inked like every 3rd day i would be like a zombie
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #2198
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
How do you sleep at night? I find thats the worst part about getting a tattoo is the paper on your skin and trying to sleep. You get inked like every 3rd day i would be like a zombie
Lol yeah its hard .. I wash my tattoo really well a few hours before bed ..let it dry and moisturize right before i go to bed and i lay a clean bath towel down where on the bed where the tattoo area is .. It helps but its hard to still get a good nights rest. Also i took 2 weeks off work this time.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #2199
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i will take some proper photos once im done a healed
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #2200
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,331 Times in 213 Posts
Quote:
too late. book my appointment with Jesse. Looking forward, haven't been tattooed for a while
I have my consultation on thursday
how much was your deposit with Jesse
jackp0t is offline   Reply With Quote