REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Pets and driving

OK, so over the last few weeks, I've seen a whole thwock of people with small dogs (everything from yorkies and corgies to minipins and chihuahuas) sitting on their laps while driving.

This is a distraction, and can have some serious consequences for both the dogs and drivers if there is an accident. And an accidnet is much more likely with the added distraction of having to take into consideration what your actions will have with your dog as well as your and other cars.

Is this actually legal? And if not, what can I do to help stop these idiots? With the news last week of the woman killed by her laptop...
Advertisement
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

let's just open a can of worms while we're at it.. why stop at animals in a car when children can/may be even more distracting even when they are buckled up. Oh, and senior citizens too... Anyone remember the south park episode about the seniors are out driving (season 7)?

oh and women who put on make up while they drive... the list can go on.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Yeah, I see so many people with dogs on their lap. I saw a guy driving a pickup truck with dog on lap, and talking on cell phone and driving a manual tranny. I was just thinking as I walked by 'what an idiot'. How can he concentrate on driving with all that. Don't even know how he can step on the clutch without making the dog move around.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Requirements for moving vehicle
195 (1) A person must not cause a vehicle to move on a highway if

(a) the control of the driver over the driving mechanism of the vehicle, or

(b) the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle

is obstructed.

(2) A passenger in a vehicle must not occupy a position in it that interferes with the driver's view ahead or with his or her control over the driving mechanisms of the vehicle.

You might also consider driving without due care or reasonable consideration.
You tell me how having a pet in your arms or at your head or in your lap, does not "interfere"? I would stop and ask the driver if they could control the vehicle 100% the same with the dor there or not there. IF they didn't get the point, they got the ticket. I love animals and would never subject my small dogs to guaranteed injury they would get in any sort of evasive move...even braking hard. The same type of driver lets kids stand on the seats in the car.
't
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

pull up next to them and say "do you care about your pets life? yes? then put him in the back seat"

say it in a really friendly tone of course. if it's some big huge hells angels gangster guy with tattoo's, probably a good idea just to let the yorkie die
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Well, another stupid thing I've seen, especially in the summer are passengers putting their feet up on the dashboard or sticking out the window. First off, if the airbags go off, good luck to that person to still have legs intact. For the ones sticking the feet out the window, I don't need to be able to smell them if I'm driving by and also, it obstructs the right mirror. Then I've seen some drivers show off their amazing flexibility by sticking their left leg out the window while they're driving. I don't know what these people are thinking.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

They are probably either thinking that the air wafting gently over "the lads" feels nice and cool...or they are feeling great pain when a wasp goes up their pantleg and into their crotch.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
They are probably either thinking that the air wafting gently over "the lads" feels nice and cool...or they are feeling great pain when a wasp goes up their pantleg and into their crotch.
can anybody translate this from vancouver island english to regular vancouver english?
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Say I had some stuff stacked on the passenger seat of the car and it obstructed my view to that side of the vehicle, that means I can get a ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
id die if my 120lb dog tried to climb into my lap while driving.

he doesnt like the cage, and doesnt like being too seperated from us. so what we have right now is a seatbelt to leash/colar buckle. either way, he's too chicken to even stick his head out the window, and prefers to sit on the floor of the back seat.

i know what ur talking about with little dogs. i use to carry around one in a laundry basket in the passenger seat with the seatbelt to leash/colar buckle. it worked good as the dog was clingy, but didnt get in my way or on my side while driving.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Requirements for moving vehicle
195 (1) A person must not cause a vehicle to move on a highway if

(a) the control of the driver over the driving mechanism of the vehicle, or

is obstructed.

(2) A passenger in a vehicle must not occupy a position in it that interferes with the driver's view ahead or with his or her control over the driving mechanisms of the vehicle.

You might also consider driving without due care or reasonable consideration.
You tell me how having a pet in your arms or at your head or in your lap, does not "interfere"? I would stop and ask the driver if they could control the vehicle 100% the same with the dor there or not there. IF they didn't get the point, they got the ticket. I love animals and would never subject my small dogs to guaranteed injury they would get in any sort of evasive move...even braking hard. The same type of driver lets kids stand on the seats in the car.
't
The above only applies to a driver - what about a passenger in the front, holding a pet in their lap? No law stopping them from using the pet as an airbag?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,949 Times in 585 Posts
Quote:
Ive had a wasp get my arm while resting it on the window frame. Lol..
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
RS Peace Officer

The OP was about drivers. There is no traffic law about dogs in passenger compartments in passengers' laps, like there is for drivers. Dogs have to be restrained in the back of pickups, but that is not the thread here. Seeing an average baby can weigh over a ton in a 50k crash, a small dog would also fall into that general catagory. There is no way you would be able to prevent any injury to them.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Now I'm curious...what would ICBC say about compensating you for damages if your pet gets injured?

Seeing as it's not prohibited...does icbc award anything for dogs?

---
about that stupid feet on the dash thing...an ex used to do that. so i tried it once as a passenger. She's either a midget, contortionist, or I'm a giant. I can't get my feet to wedge between the dash n the windshield. felt like a doofus trying all the while being laughed at
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
pull up next to them and say "do you care about your pets life? yes? then put him in the back seat"

say it in a really friendly tone of course. if it's some big huge hells angels gangster guy with tattoo's, probably a good idea just to let the yorkie die
i laughed picturing a HA member with a chihuahua hahahah
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,922 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
can anybody translate this from vancouver island english to regular vancouver english?
you mean from regular english to vancouver engrish.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #17
RS Peace Officer

Surely you jest...and I did NOT call you Shirley. ( I've seen too many "Naked Gun" and "Airplane" movies)