REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   police not filing a ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/587700-police-not-filing-ticket.html)

falcon 08-31-2009 01:04 PM

police not filing a ticket

to cut a long story short, i got a ticket in kelowna it the beginning of the year which i haven't paid.

i went in today to renew my insurance, and a different ticket that i got a few weeks ago popped up. they said i needed to pay it before i can renew my insurance which i did.

my question is, shouldn't this ticket from kelowna also have been in the system? since it wasn't could it be safe to assume the police officer never filed the ticket?

PACER 08-31-2009 01:26 PM

That does not sound right. A ticket you got a few weeks ago should not need to be paid unless you have been found guilty. So unless you paid it (accepting guilt) or were found guilty in court or failed to advise your intentions. I do not see how they could ask you to pay it since you still have the right to dispute it. If it was maybe a few months I could see it.

To answer your question, I do not know. It may be that the ticket was not completed properly and therefor cancelled (they should have advised you), or it is possible it was never submitted. If it does not show up now it will not likely show up at all but it could.

falcon 08-31-2009 01:53 PM

It could have been a month, I'm not sure. They said since I didn't dispute it in time that I have to pay it... and even if I did file a "late" dispute they said I had to pay up now and would get my money back if I won the dispute. I don't know where the ticket is. Happened around 3-4 weeks ago or so..

But this other one was a loooong time ago, so I figured they would both show up. I'll keep my fingers crossed because one less ticket is good in my books. I was clean for 5 years of tickets until that one happened..

c32 08-31-2009 03:15 PM

should u be happy that u dont got to pay it... if not call the officer and tell him to fill the rest

falcon 08-31-2009 03:23 PM

where do you get the idea that I'm not happy?

jeeesh

I was basically inquiring if this is normal and if I should expect to see it pop up in the future.

PACER 09-01-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 6571750)
It could have been a month, I'm not sure. They said since I didn't dispute it in time that I have to pay it... and even if I did file a "late" dispute they said I had to pay up now and would get my money back if I won the dispute. I don't know where the ticket is. Happened around 3-4 weeks ago or so..

But this other one was a loooong time ago, so I figured they would both show up. I'll keep my fingers crossed because one less ticket is good in my books. I was clean for 5 years of tickets until that one happened..

Would appear you are in the clear..... Just to be sure you could get a copy of your abstract as it may show if that other VT is there, but if you did not have to pay it should not be..... ICBC may also be able to give you an explaination since they are the keepers of all that stuff.

zulutango 09-01-2009 05:09 PM

As you have 30 days to dispute it there is a certain onus on the issuer to get it to MVB for filing. We used to save ours in a large envelope & they were mailed to MVB every monday morning. Not scientific, but it worked. GD Members may be not quite as motivated to track the tickets.