REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

police not filing a ticket

to cut a long story short, i got a ticket in kelowna it the beginning of the year which i haven't paid.

i went in today to renew my insurance, and a different ticket that i got a few weeks ago popped up. they said i needed to pay it before i can renew my insurance which i did.

my question is, shouldn't this ticket from kelowna also have been in the system? since it wasn't could it be safe to assume the police officer never filed the ticket?
Advertisement
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

That does not sound right. A ticket you got a few weeks ago should not need to be paid unless you have been found guilty. So unless you paid it (accepting guilt) or were found guilty in court or failed to advise your intentions. I do not see how they could ask you to pay it since you still have the right to dispute it. If it was maybe a few months I could see it.

To answer your question, I do not know. It may be that the ticket was not completed properly and therefor cancelled (they should have advised you), or it is possible it was never submitted. If it does not show up now it will not likely show up at all but it could.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #3

It could have been a month, I'm not sure. They said since I didn't dispute it in time that I have to pay it... and even if I did file a "late" dispute they said I had to pay up now and would get my money back if I won the dispute. I don't know where the ticket is. Happened around 3-4 weeks ago or so..

But this other one was a loooong time ago, so I figured they would both show up. I'll keep my fingers crossed because one less ticket is good in my books. I was clean for 5 years of tickets until that one happened..
Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

should u be happy that u dont got to pay it... if not call the officer and tell him to fill the rest
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

where do you get the idea that I'm not happy?

jeeesh

I was basically inquiring if this is normal and if I should expect to see it pop up in the future.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
It could have been a month, I'm not sure. They said since I didn't dispute it in time that I have to pay it... and even if I did file a "late" dispute they said I had to pay up now and would get my money back if I won the dispute. I don't know where the ticket is. Happened around 3-4 weeks ago or so..

But this other one was a loooong time ago, so I figured they would both show up. I'll keep my fingers crossed because one less ticket is good in my books. I was clean for 5 years of tickets until that one happened..
Would appear you are in the clear..... Just to be sure you could get a copy of your abstract as it may show if that other VT is there, but if you did not have to pay it should not be..... ICBC may also be able to give you an explaination since they are the keepers of all that stuff.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As you have 30 days to dispute it there is a certain onus on the issuer to get it to MVB for filing. We used to save ours in a large envelope & they were mailed to MVB every monday morning. Not scientific, but it worked. GD Members may be not quite as motivated to track the tickets.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote