REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #76
HELP ME PLS!!!

I've been there a few times in the past and I honestly don't see anything special about this place.
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #77
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i just came back from this place and the portion is tiny. I got the large and it pretty much came looking like a big bowl of soup. all i saw was a a few pieces of meat and a couple meatballs floating around. then when you mix it all up, there's just way too much soup, not enough noodles or meat. So far the best places for pho are thai son, and the place on nanimo and 1st ave. (used to be located on broadway and nanaimo) the bun bo hue there is awesome and so are the spring rolls.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #78
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Okay, I'm going there in about an hour or so. If this place sucks, I'm going to shit a brick.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #79
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Okay so with such a generic name for a restaurant ... (it's called "Vietnamese Restaurant" ?!) it's virtually impossible to search up on the net LOL ... that's like calling my place "Japanese Restaurant" ...
Anyways does anyone know the number for this place?
Better yet I just want to know the business hours, are they open late?
It'd be a sweet place to hit up after work if they open late enough! Definitely want to try it after the glowing review from the OP!
Looked on dinehere.ca and it should be this one according to the address

http://dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=2765

Impactx - haha would you really br surprised if that was true or even if I said most places do.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #80
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
i just came back from this place and the portion is tiny. I got the large and it pretty much came looking like a big bowl of soup. all i saw was a a few pieces of meat and a couple meatballs floating around. then when you mix it all up, there's just way too much soup, not enough noodles or meat. So far the best places for pho are thai son, and the place on nanimo and 1st ave. (used to be located on broadway and nanaimo) the bun bo hue there is awesome and so are the spring rolls.
thai son's TYSONNNNN baby

portion is good, soup is soso. nothing spectacular.

i guess many of us are disappointed, due to the recommandation coming from a wonna be PHO expert

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #81
RS Veteran

Alright everybody.

I had dinner there at 6:30 on the dot with my lady friend. Place had maybe 2 or 3 people but whatever, traffic was a real mess on Main and King Edward. Walked in, guy was super friendly/outgoing and said the typical, "Heeey my friend! Come in! Your wife! I love her hair, just like Pulp Fiction and Saturday Night Fever!"

We were like, "WTF?!?" Okay. Put a smile on our face. Seated and took a look over the menu. They have some very traditional items on the menu, in fact, very intricate in terms of ingredients used, mainly Chinese ingredients especially for their spring rolls. Prices for their spring rolls were outrageous - $7.50? No thanks.

My lady friend and I ordered coffee (hot and cold) - it was $2.50, not $1.50 on the menu. I ordered the Pho Dac Biet house special (how could you not!?) while my lady friend ordered the beef and tripe noodle soup. She asked for a small but when the food came, turns out that everything is all one price. Only difference is the size of the bowl. Go figure. My bowl was bigger and cost the same as my lady friend's. The portions were the same. And as mentioned by another review, yes, the portions of noodles suck ass. It was barely a fistful and had so much soup, it's an embarrassment to pho in itself.

Here's the lowdown on the pho:

1. Broth/soup - Bland. You can taste hints of the daikon, star anise, cloves and dates. They concentrate heavily on this however, the soup has been boiled for 14+ hours (I asked.) While so, they do it south Vietnamese traditional style where they make the soup boiling it with tonnes of bones. No MSG - I can tell you that for sure.

2. Noodles were the thicker/fatter type and were fresh. I prefer this style and they're chewy.

3. Beef/meats - not bad. Standard pho meats for a house special however, it just sort of floats around. Meats were complimented with a good serving of onions which I like.

4. Condiments - bean sprouts / basil / lime and chilli. Standard. Nothing special.

5. Portions - WTF? Small or large - no difference in quantity or price. Just the bowl and the amount of soup you get. What kind of trickery is this?

Final verdict - it was just, "okay." Not good. Not bad. Just okay. If not, it sucked. No use of MSG was awesome and I applaud them for keeping the broth as real as possible but it ultimately had little to no flavour to it. The broth is the key to all pho. They failed. And wooden/disposable chopsticks? What the fuck man?

I don't recommend this place at all nor would I go back. $20 with tax and tip for 2 bowls of pho and two coffees? I've had much better pho.

Picture of fail not worthy of a real camera:

$2.50 for coffee and it wasn't great. There's very little coffee used so it tastes pretty weak.

A bowl of fail.

Another bowl of fail.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-10-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #82
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

usually get the lemon grass chicken on rice at thai son. or the skewered pork with spring rolls. spring rolls are not the greatest.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #83
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Allllrighty then, thanks for the review bcrdukes.
I almost overhyped myself for nothing haha. I guess I won't have to waste a dinner slot on this place anymore..

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #84
Banned (BBM)

see what did i tell u

my review was correct

OP pho expert? i think not
a bowl of fail? lol indeed

honestly i think golden train is better than this joint no joke

cambie/broadway golden train is a lot better than the one ghetto out on kinsway
Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #85
RS Veteran

Where is achiam? Damn guy.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #86
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
LOL kev, is Golden Train that 24h one? If it is then that one is not bad, but considering by the time I'm off work that is practically the only choice I have left ... haha

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #87
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Where is achiam? Damn guy.
I am humbly embarrassed. I've always hated the salty tang of MSG as I saw it as a cheap way to enhance flavor, and this is probably why I am so attracted to this location.

Failing the Pho, however, is to me excessive - while my other friends who went with me still feel Pho Tam is the best in the GVRD, they certainly did not give the broth here a fail rating. None of us proclaim ourselves to be Pho pundits, but we have eaten quite a large variety of Pho over the years and recognize the restaurant's emphasis on natural ingredients. This I feel is much more difficult than simply dumping MSG in, and warrants credit.

Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I maintain that the place deserves a try.

To anyone who was disappointed by my review, I apologize.

Last edited by achiam; 09-10-2009 at 11:34 PM.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #88
RS Veteran

^
It's all in good humour so don't sweat it.

As I mentioned in my review, I do applaud the folks at Vietnamese for keeping it real and using the best ingredients as possible. It's a bold move. Not many people do this.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact that they do what they're doing, but it could have been done a little better and without the use of MSG. Similar style of what they serve can be had elsewhere nearby. Their portions could be a tad bit larger, but all in all, it's not definitely something out of the ordinary and not for everybody.

Edit: And by no means, am I a pho expert or pundit, but I grew up eating pho since I was 4 in the heart of Chinatown. I've met a lot of people and learned as much as I could about pho and I try to get a taste of it everywhere I go in my travels, whether it'd be in Paris, New York, Los Angeles, Dresden, or Montreal, I've always criticized the quality of pho upon the basis of my knowledge and understanding. I think I've got it pat down pretty well but I'm most certain somebody can tell me to shove it and school me on how REAL pho is done.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-10-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #89
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
LOL kev, is Golden Train that 24h one? If it is then that one is not bad, but considering by the time I'm off work that is practically the only choice I have left ... haha
LOL ya thats the one, by the time u get off 1-2am ish that seems to be the only choice u have. The one on kinsway i went many many years ago, the food taste like crap and the place is filthy with flies running aronud. The one on cambie the broth tastes different, has a unique chinese medicine (again) to it, i like their XL portion as well as their grill chicken sub is pretty damn good. IMO i like cambie's golden train broth better than tai son. Tai son's soup is nothing special really IMO, and tats the one i tried in coquitlam (closed down now) and the one near east vancouver T&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiam View Post
I am humbly embarrassed. I've always hated the salty tang of MSG as I saw it as a cheap way to enhance flavor, and this is probably why I am so attracted to this location.

Failing the Pho, however, is to me excessive - while my other friends who went with me still feel Pho Tam is the best in the GVRD, they certainly did not give the broth here a fail rating. None of us proclaim ourselves to be Pho pundits, but we have eaten quite a large variety of Pho over the years and recognize the restaurant's emphasis on natural ingredients. This I feel is much more difficult than simply dumping MSG in, and warrants credit.

Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I maintain that the place deserves a try.

Dont sweat it dude, everyone has different taste. And for sure its hard to come by finding a PHO rest. without using massive/slight of MSG.
Pho is like crack cocaine tho, u gotta have some MSG fix once in awhile haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
It's all in good humour so don't sweat it.

As I mentioned in my review, I do applaud the folks at Vietnamese for keeping it real and using the best ingredients as possible. It's a bold move. Not many people do this.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact that they do what they're doing, but it could have been done a little better and without the use of MSG. Similar style of what they serve can be had elsewhere nearby. Their portions could be a tad bit larger, but all in all, it's not definitely something out of the ordinary and not for everybody.

Edit: And by no means, am I a pho expert or pundit, but I grew up eating pho since I was 4 in the heart of Chinatown. I've met a lot of people and learned as much as I could about pho and I try to get a taste of it everywhere I go in my travels, whether it'd be in Paris, New York, Los Angeles, Dresden, or Montreal, I've always criticized the quality of pho upon the basis of my knowledge and understanding. I think I've got it pat down pretty well but I'm most certain somebody can tell me to shove it and school me on how REAL pho is done.
the food god has spoken
Old 09-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #90
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
while my other friends who went with me still feel Pho Tam is the best in the GVRD,

I used to be a regular customer of pho tam since 1998. 5 years ago i found another pho restaurant and haven't been back until last month. Their pho has changed what from i remember because i remember them having some really good pho but now its just....average. That's when i realized that the only nammers in the restaurant were the servers. I haven't been back and don't plan too. The pho restaurant i go to now is pho tau bay on 148st and 108ave.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #91
RS Veteran

I've been to both Pho Tam and Pho Tau Bay as recommended by other RS members. I was truly disappointed.

Pho Vinh has been the only place that I've really enjoyed.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-11-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #92
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Im going to have to try pho vinh now to see.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #93
Banned (BBM)

werd try it 4 sure
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #94
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
lol vietnamese, the only difference your gonna see from that place to any other viet restraunt is that the service is really good and friendly, otherwise the price / portions suck
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #95
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I like the pho place across from save on foods in richmond on ackroyd where nando's chicken is....anyone eat at that place before and give a comparison to other restaurants?
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #96
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctw View Post
I like the pho place across from save on foods in richmond on ackroyd where nando's chicken is....anyone eat at that place before and give a comparison to other restaurants?
i like that place toooo. but i wouldnt go there to get " filled up ", i do not find the proportions that filling compared to other pho restaurants in richmond
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #97
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:

how did you mistake the coffee for 1.50? lol
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #98
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I think I'm gonna give Pho Vinh a shot sometime this week, or even Pho Tam since I can basically WALK to either restaurant (Pho Tam is closer to me, yet I go to New Town near it for baked goods so often I don't even think about getting lunch there). Plenty of mixed reviews so I can't really decide. I haven't had pho for a while, so I'm open to what I should order as well. I'm also pretty close to Pho Hoa, and even though I've eaten there a while ago, I knew that the pho sucked there.

Which of the two should I try out first?

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 09-13-2009 at 06:42 PM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #99
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
how did you mistake the coffee for 1.50? lol
Actually I was charged $1.50; on the receipt though I realized that it was entered as Soft Drink so it was an error on their part.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #100
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quent pho ? or sth like that,, on fraser and 24th? best pho i've ever had.
yoursyumiko is offline   Reply With Quote