REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #5851
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I used the newer garmin accelerometer speed and cadence set, one goes on crank, one goes on the hub and you're done, hassle free in my experience.
Advertisement
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #5852
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Anyone have experience w/ Wahoo products? (Rflkt+, Blue SC, Blue HR, etc...)
Was looking at the Wahoo Speed/Casence sensor w/ ANT+ and BT 4.0 comptibility and use my phone at the moment as the "screen" and decide on which biking computer to get later.

Noob rider who wants to get into it more seriously this year.
Wilso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #5853
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Don't waste your money on accessories to make your smart phone / iphone into your bike computer. It's a waste of time, mounting your smart phone on your handlebar looks stupid, and 99.9% your smart phone will fly off the handlebars.

Just ask hud 91gt, I watched his iphone fly off his bike.

Save your money, buy a real bike computer.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 PM   #5854
RS controls my life!

I use a wahoo RPM magnetless cadence sensor + Garmin magnetless speed sensor.

The RPM is ANT+/BT perfect for my trainerroad workouts (and moving forward BT4.0 is the way to go), but unfortunately the Garmin is only ANT+.

The garmin cadence does have a better strap though
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #5855

Is there a reason you mount 2 different sensors to track speed and cadence when you can have 1 sensor for both functions?

I really don't mean to sound harsh when I say iphone/smart phone mounts are dumb and a waste of time... But, imo, it is.

If you are trying to be serious about cycling, and you ride longer than 30min - 1 hour, then you will discover a smart phone as a bike computer is stupid. Why? because I've never seen or experienced a smart phone screen being able to stay ON for a 2,3,4,5 hour ride.

If you're cycling for less than 1 hour, then sure, use a smart phone. Mount it to your bicycle if you want.

But, if you want to see you cycling data WITHOUT touching your "smart phone/iphone" every time you want to see how fast you're going, what your cadence is, then the only way to go is to buy a dedicated bike computer.

A smart phone screen will not stay on for a prolong period of time, which you need when cycling for more than 1 hour.

When you're riding a road bike, you don't want to be touching your iphone/smart phone to load your silly app, to see how fast/cadence/HRM/hill grade/wind direction etc. All you want to do is look down and see the numbers.

A smart phone, you have to touch it every time you want to see something. If you have the screen on full time, the battery will die within 1-2 hours.

If you are casual, all you want to do is 1 hour rides and see scenery, there's no reason for you to need a cycling computer.

But, if you want to improve in cycling, and see real time statistics like when you're driving a car, invest in a bike computer.

Mounting a smart phone to your bicycle is like mounting an iPad to your car. It's STUPID. It' bulky, looks dumb, and 99.9% will get knocked off your bicycle and slide across the pavement in an epic fail-type video highlighted by you crying like a bitch.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #5856
RS controls my life!

I bought them separate because I feel that it looks better (less noticeable), less fiddly, and lower chance of damage.

I'm sure he understands the difference between a dedicated cycling comp and a phone. I think he was referring to the Wahoo RFLKT which is a dedicated screen that pulls data off your phone. The phone can be in your back pocket and doesn't need to be turned on, saving battery. It even serves as an ANT+ bridge for your sensors. I've heard of quite a few people using it with some success, and in fact can have several benefits over garmin-type units. Going forward, as smartphones improve, you can be sure traditional cycling computers will be harder to justify, and it would be silly to think otherwise. Just look at the Edge 1000 which rivals a smartphone in size and cost but packs a fraction of the technology. I use a 510, but garmin definitely isn't a company I have loyalty to and wouldn't hesitate to jump to something better.

Here's a review for the unfamiliar: First Look: Wahoo Fitness RFLKT+ with ANT+ to Bluetooth Smart Bridge, Barometric Altimeter | DC Rainmaker

And another: http://road.cc/content/review/123319...-bike-computer

Last edited by dton13; 01-19-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #5857

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Is there a reason you mount 2 different sensors to track speed and cadence when you can have 1 sensor for both functions?
Just FYI Garmin's traditional Speed/Cadence Sensor that uses the magnet on the spoke is long discontinued.

I also agree that the newer sensors are less fiddly and much cleaner on the bike. I had the Wahoo RPM before I switched over to the Garmin, it uses zapstraps to mount whereas the garmin cadence sensor uses a rubber grommet system.

Functionally and in practice they are identical except the Wahoo has both BTLE (BT 4.0) and ANT+, which is the way to go except they offer a speed sensor as well so you're stuck with garmin in that regard.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #5858

Very passionate 604CEFIRO, haha, thanks for your input.
I totally agree with you in respects to using your phone as a bike computer. Risk of it flying off, battery issues, bulkyness, etc...
And dton13 was right about me wanting to see how the RFLKT+ would be in conjunction with the Wahoo sensors.
It seems that the Garmin Edge line is the creme of the crop when it comes to cycling computer? Just wanted to see if the Wahoo route would be a comparable, more economical, option.

Last edited by Wilso09; 01-20-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #5859
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

That's all you guys really need, isn't it? Yeah, keepin' it old school.

Speaking of which, anyone here have an old mtn bike they want to get rid of? More specifically, I'm looking for a 7 spd shifter/brake lever. Yes, 7 spd!!!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #5860
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Has anyone ever used the garmin edge 800? Just wondering what your experience with it has been. Are you able to sync it to Strava?
henry604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #5861

All Garmins that track via gps will upload to strava

I think I have a harsh stance on smart phones as bike computers bc I asked the exact same questions 2 years ago when I started to ride. And no one really told me the differences. My mindset was like, I have a $500 smart phone, why would I need a bike computer!??

But after wasting a bunch of money, it was just plain better to have a dedicated head unit on the bike and just use the smart phone as a phone.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:39 PM   #5862

You like carnage?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #5863

Received my 32GB Rideye this morning, haven't done much testing but so far so good. Hope to get some footage for you guys in the next week, although don't expect 604CEFIRO beast mode lol.

I purchased it because as a driver and a cyclist I see so much stupid shit that one day this might come in useful is something were to happen. Now for some initial thoughts.

- Handles exposure changes excellently, I'm talking from pitch black to full daylight better than most of the action cameras I've seen.

- 15 hours of battery life, and 6 hours of continuous recording on loop at 1080p 30fps, this is not a gopro rather a dash cam for a bike.

- Records in 5 minute intravels making it good for accidents. Has an accelerometer which claims to detect crashes and lock the the 15 minutes around the incident from deletion in the rollover. This can be done manually with a press rather than hold of the main button.

- Although no gopro, lense quality seems above par.

- Charges and connects through microusb, nothing proprietary.

- Single piece of aluminium with plastic on each end, seem solid and claims to be waterproof.

- The including rubber mount sucks, really standard fare with any light mount, the $5 gopro mount makes it fully compatible with virtually any mount like a k-edge or whatnot.

- To that point no Optical Image Stabilisation, so a good mount is necessary to avoid road noise.

- Audio quality sucks, but really who cares, good enough for recording an altercation or whatever in an accident.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #5864
RS controls my life!

Thats cool, how much was it? How heavy is it? Noticeable when moving your head?
Old 02-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #5865
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
What kind of travel bag or best bang for the buck travel bag do you guys suggest?

I plan to travel more with my bike and I kinda am fed up with using a bike cardboard box.

I am hoping to spend something around 2-3 hundred...
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 AM   #5866

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
What kind of travel bag or best bang for the buck travel bag do you guys suggest?

I plan to travel more with my bike and I kinda am fed up with using a bike cardboard box.

I am hoping to spend something around 2-3 hundred...
How about something like this?
Profeta hard shell bicycle case
Thule 699 bike travel case - For Rent
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #5867
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Sram Omnium GXP track crank was just delivered to my door at home. I cannot wait to get home. Anyone want to buy a set of 42T sugino messenger cranks?
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #5868

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post
Thats cool, how much was it? How heavy is it? Noticeable when moving your head?
I'd say 250g, not terribly light but a lot more durable than a gopro at first glance. After 10 minutes you adjust and you don't notice it except in your shadow.

Payed about $250 USD, good for piece and mind.

Finally got out for a ride, with the flu so it was a bit rough and I'm paying for it now. Two clips of some new cycling infrastructure on the North Shore with the rideye, impressed for a 30fps dash cam.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #5869

That camera is perfect for what you're using it for. Footage looks great.

I've gotta head out that way next time im in the north shore and ride that new road. looks smooth
Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #5870
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Spoiler!

Last edited by IMASA; 02-23-2015 at 07:04 AM.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #5871
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
surrey too. RS beatdown crew to meet this seller?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #5872

I actually saw that ad yesterday and thought I remembered seeing someone on here saying they had their Argon18 being stolen. Hopefully things get resolved w/ a good outcome if this is actually your bike.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #5873

I emailed him to ask for some photos too, but it's been a couple days and haven't heard a response.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #5874
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Haven't heard anything either. I appreciate the effort.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #5875
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Oh damn that sucks. Beat down crew for sure. I will do a burnout on his face. I need some new tires to replace my Hutchison's anyways.

On a more pleasant note, weather is getting nice and ripping it to work everyday in dry crisp weather is awesome. Anyone down for a ride over the weekend?
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote