REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
*Just A Heads Up* - Buying Used Phones

Hey folks,

I just wanted to remind everybody about taking the precautions when buying a used phone.

Rogers Wireless & Fido integrated something called an Electronic IMEI Register (EIR) which is connected globally to more than 85% of the world's GSM and UMTS Networks. The purpose of the EIR is a database/depository of blacklisted IMEIs. Once the IMEI ends up in the EIR, the IMEI stays there and does not leave - ever.

What Does This Mean?

This means that if you have a phone with an IMEI stored in the EIR, the phone is as good as a brick. Yup. A Brick. The moment you turn the phone on, the phone will not allow access to the network. The best thing now is to strip it for parts and/or use it as an alarm clock.

Why The Hell Should I Care?

You should care because as mobile phone enthusiasts, it would really suck for anybody to buy a lemon phone and be out hundreds of dollars. You work hard for your money to buy things you appreciate. Why get ripped off? You may not be a victim, but what about your friends? Your family? Your classmates and coworkers?

What Can I Do To Prevent This?

There really isn't a lot you can do to prevent the sale and purchase of a phone that is blacklisted. There are steps you can take as a buyer such as testing the phone, ensuring that you can make incoming and outgoing calls and SMS and to create a data session. The best thing is to ask for a valid proof of purchase or buy from a trusted seller. Use feedback forums to your advantage. Facebook stalk, forum stalk - whatever it takes. (Just kidding.)

Why Are You Telling Me This? I'm Not A n00b

I'm telling you this because a friend of mine is currently a victim of purchasing a blacklisted phone. He bought a Rogers branded phone from a girl on Craigslist, only for the girl to tell him a day later that Rogers Wireless called her, advising her that the phone was stolen from a dealership and then sold on Craigslist. He's now out hundreds of dollars and left with a brick phone. The phone was bricked a day after he bought the phone. It didn't come with a reciept/proof of purchase so chances are, it was stolen.

How Does An IMEI End Up In The EIR?

From what I've read online, the IMEI ends up in the EIR when the phone is stolen or missing from the dealership or distribution centre (i.e. Cellcom, Wireless Wave, Best Buy etc.) The moment that the IMEI is reported lost or stolen, the IMEI in question is entered into the EIR.

How long does it take for the IMEI to be entered in the EIR?

Instantly. The moment the IMEI is reported, it goes straight into the EIR and takes seconds and from that point on, you're SOL.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Great info!

Although I wish more people would read this. The people who do most likely already know, it is the ones who don't that will whine after getting screwed.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I thought I remembered seeing something before where if you had writtend own your IMEI and had your phone stolen, Rogers/Fido wouldn't do anything about it? Has this changed?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I thought I remembered seeing something before where if you had writtend own your IMEI and had your phone stolen, Rogers/Fido wouldn't do anything about it? Has this changed?
This is only applicable to phones that are stolen from dealerships and unfortunately, not applicable to phones stolen after the fact.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
This is only applicable to phones that are stolen from dealerships and unfortunately, not applicable to phones stolen after the fact.
Is there a reason Rogers does this? Why don't they want to protect their customers?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Is there a reason Rogers does this? Why don't they want to protect their customers?
What's their incentive? Customer satisfaction and loyalty? HA!
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Quote:
Think of it as a 2-way street. I'm sure they want to protect their customers because the most important asset they have are customers. At the same time, they can't because service providers pay a huge chunk of money to subsidize phones for customers. A majority of the Canadian population already has a problem paying $100 for a phone but want all the bells and whistles. As a business (for any provider) they need to look out for their own best interests. Stolen phones, from what I understand, results in close to a million dollars in lost revenue per year.

I believe Teus and Bell also have an EIR, infact, Telus has had an EIR since their analog and CDMA days.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

that's strange, it was there for the day I was doing the unlocking SE phone on fido (T616/w200, etc) ....

IMEI on older SE phone can be overwritten for this purpose, but I never tried it.
ecsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

If there's 1 thing I never buy used, its a phone. Always gotta buy a new phone. So many ways u can get scammed with a phone
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

You're correct Mike - Telus and Bell have been doing this for their phones since analogue and occurs for their current CDMA phones.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I would thank you... But mobile rs doesn't have that option

But I know a lot of people try test calls and txt spend that extra min trying for data as well, my friend got this blackberry of criagslist and it won't work for data at all just calls and tx thus rendering a pos.
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

some good info here

thanks
Tofuboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

so you are saying if the phone is missing from the inventory before it's been invoiced/tendered it'll be blacklisted, but if i buy a phone brand new from someone that got the phone using fake accounts i might have my phone stopped working after a few months? or once it's tendered they won't do anything about it ie blacklisting the iemi? i mean technically if someone got a phone using a fake account he'll have receipts and stuff.. and it'll work until the company finds out it's fake...
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
RS Veteran

What I posted is all I know. Sorry.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Here's the deal. A phone can be EIR at the request of the dealer if infact its missing. I on the other hand have not seen a stolen phone on eir
Posted via RS Mobile
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Bought a Blackberry Curve 8900 off Craigslist for my gf today.. Now I'm paranoid

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

bell uses same kinda thing but after 6month-1 year it comes off..(this is how it was 2yr ago) or sooner if u know somebody.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #18
Chinese Guy, Swedish Rides

If they ask me why I'm Facebook-stalking them, I'll tell them that a man from the Internet told me to do so.

Great read, Mike, thanks for putting this up. Definitely needs to be common knowledge.

'88 245DL Uncle Sven the Swedish Rice Rocket|'95 945T Darth Haul|'82 242GLT B23E Lumpy the Angry Viking|'77 244DL, red/sold|'90 744T C3P-LOL, gold/sold
RS Feedback (46-0-0)
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
How do you check for this?
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

Thanks, was just about to buy a new 9700 from CL.
xeryusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #21
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
How do you check for this?
If the phone is bricked, then it's fucked.

Read my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
What Can I Do To Prevent This?

There really isn't a lot you can do to prevent the sale and purchase of a phone that is blacklisted. There are steps you can take as a buyer such as testing the phone, ensuring that you can make incoming and outgoing calls and SMS and to create a data session. The best thing is to ask for a valid proof of purchase or buy from a trusted seller. Use feedback forums to your advantage. Facebook stalk, forum stalk - whatever it takes. (Just kidding.)

This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Bell /telus blacklist esn for cdma phones: this data is not global, and a phone stay thr only for 6 months.

Gsm phones, its quite easy to mask imei to another number.
Depending on phone.
Posted via RS Mobile
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #23
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Stolen phones blacklist launches in Canada - Technology & Science - CBC News

Protect Your Data. Protect Yourself.
imp_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #24

You could try this: Check the Status of Your Device in Canada | Protect Your Data. Protect Yourself.

Not sure if it actually works but worth a shot.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #25

lol repost, I just posted that in the post before yours.
imp_squared is offline   Reply With Quote