REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Running socks (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607549-running-socks.html)

StealthFighter 03-03-2010 12:14 PM

Running socks

I've been using socks with cool max(40% cotton 40% cool max, spandex, etc)

they're awesome for everyday use and training, but when it comes to doing distances up to 10k, they don't wick moisture well enough. i'm flatfooted and have been getting blisters where the inside of the arch would be.

i've been applying vaseline to where the blisters would normally form, it does help, but i want socks for extra protection.

i'm looking for 100% synthetic socks strictly for running. so does anyone have any recommendations on brands?

any places that offer better prices than the running room?

thanks

Fuhrėr-Z 03-03-2010 01:17 PM

Don't know about socks, but it sounds like you might wider shoes...The runners I got are a wide version of Asics...Never had problems, wearing any socks.

Tapioca 03-03-2010 02:40 PM

I've been in your situation and sadly, you'll just need to ante up and pay the prices for "runner's socks".

The Running Room has their own brand of socks (Wright socks) that have a double-layer of fabric so that your skin rubs the outer layer of the sock as opposed to the shoe. Also, I would recommend that you get a stick of Body Glide and apply it to areas where you would normally get blisters for an extra layer of protection.

Also, make sure you have the proper shoes for your feet. (Motion control, proper width, orthotics if necessary, etc.)

Inaii 03-03-2010 03:00 PM

Try Minoru in Yaletown, they're about $14.99 for a pair, but they're designed to draw moisture away from the body.

urrh 03-03-2010 03:41 PM

how would socks wick away moisture when it's trapped inside a shoe...

StealthFighter 03-04-2010 01:31 AM

yeah i'm wearing some motion control adidas shoes. they fit fine, width isn't too bad. i can run 10k without pain but it's just i have blisters afterwards. it seems most likely to be friction related from sweat since i can run shorter distances without blisters. i'll check out minoru and the wright brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by urrh (Post 6842377)
how would socks wick away moisture when it's trapped inside a shoe...

socks wick sweat out of the shoe cause running shoes usually are mesh or have some kinda dri-fit material.

any more suggestions for brands/

hamsup 03-04-2010 10:03 AM

have you tried roll on deodorant on your foot ?? it shoudl help with the sweating.. that is what i do before longer runs =) seems to work ok !!

RayBot 03-04-2010 04:46 PM

Oh...dri fit socks for me are the worst for long runs.

I have a pair from new balance...wicked cushioning and comfort. Very durable as well. 11.99 at sport check.

azncreationz 03-05-2010 06:04 PM

^ I'm not positive, but I think the above poster meant Mizuno in Yaletown.

Besides Running Room, there's all the other running stores, Run Inn, Rackets & Runners, North Shore Athletics, Forerunners, etc and they all carry various running socks. I've had my best runs in Sole socks. They're fairly cheap too, but work well for me. Of course, using a stick of Body Glide doesn't hurt. I'm running half-marathons every weekend with no blisters.