REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   So you think you can bench? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/613758-so-you-think-you-can-bench.html)

xzman 05-04-2010 02:01 PM

So you think you can bench?

Don't know if there is anyone out there that trains for powerlifting at all but the 2010 BC Provincials are coming up on June 13. I'll just be competing in the bench press if anyone else wants to come out.

http://bcpowerlifting.ca/calendar/index.shtml

sas 05-04-2010 02:04 PM

I will be competing the whole shabang, dead, squat, BP. Actually, the day prior, there is a weightlifting meet. I may attend both.

Are you going raw or shirt?

xzman 05-04-2010 02:17 PM

i'll be using an inzer rage-x shirt for this meet - if my shoulder holds up and i can stand the pain!

What class are you competing in?

sas 05-04-2010 02:52 PM

Thats the thing right now, I am debating to cut weight and compete at 65 or go at my natural weight which is around 71kg. When I weightlift, I competed at 69kg which was easy to shed 5lbs

I might just compete at my natural BW. I am getting too old and tired of making weight for all of my sporting career. Might just get out on the platform and enjoy it.

Pop some aspirin before you lift, good to go!

penner2k 05-04-2010 03:16 PM

My bench sucks :(

Just out of curiosity what are you guys lifting?
If possible raw and with a shirt.

hal0g0dv2 05-04-2010 07:38 PM

275 is the top for bench?
do they take your top 3 ?
fuck i would kill this
edit, i scrolled down nm, i still think i could hold my own, how much does it cost to enter

xzman 05-05-2010 01:08 AM

sas: never too old buddy!

penner2k: i compete in the 75kgs/165lb class. not a self gratifying video but the best way to answer your question

hal0g0dv2: for bench only it's 40 bucks to enter but you also have to get a membership to the bcpa - since it's coming to the later half of the year, and if you're a first time member, they give it to you for about half what it is normally i think. works out to maybe 35 bucks? dont quote me on that. but it's good for the rest of the year if you wanna do other events.

SizzleChest 05-05-2010 07:24 AM

^ well done. i'm with penner in the "my bench sucks" category. my shoulders can't take it. kinda strange, cuz i'm fine with actual shoulder exercises, but with any sort of horizontal pressing movement with moderately significant weight, my shoulders always cheap-out on me.

!Yaminashi 05-05-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzleChest (Post 6938640)
^ well done. i'm with penner in the "my bench sucks" category. my shoulders can't take it. kinda strange, cuz i'm fine with actual shoulder exercises, but with any sort of horizontal pressing movement with moderately significant weight, my shoulders always cheap-out on me.

I'm also in this category

sas 05-05-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

275 is the top for bench?
do they take your top 3 ?
fuck i would kill this
No. Your top lift. And I would look at national competitions to see where you stack up, not B.C.

And a touch and go BP vs. a competition BP are very, very different. For instance, my friend bench presses 315 for 3 reps (his touch and go), but managed 285.

And to the Op, Holy crap are you courageous. I don't feel safe in commercial gyms let alone only 1 spotter.

xzman 05-05-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 6938993)
No. Your top lift. And I would look at national competitions to see where you stack up, not B.C.

And a touch and go BP vs. a competition BP are very, very different. For instance, my friend bench presses 315 for 3 reps (his touch and go), but managed 285.

And to the Op, Holy crap are you courageous. I don't feel safe in commercial gyms let alone only 1 spotter.

lol ya it can get a scary but i usually use the same spotters who know my capabilities so we're in tune with eachother - on that note tho, i'll usually go in the squat rack so i can take advantage of the safety bars 'just in case'.

what is the other comp that you are referring to the day prior?

sas 05-05-2010 06:23 PM

SeaFest Weightlifting. Snatch and clean and jerk. This is my first PL comp, I am a weightlifter.

My BP is my weakest- since I've never really cared for it based on the sports I played. I will be happy with 120 and hope to total in the 400's.

This sounds really gay- but I'm at that point where I may consider bodybuilding or general training. Doesn't mean I will be doing 10 sets of bicep curls and tricep kick backs