REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
How Many People Here Wouldnt Mind Doing A Small Test To Renew Their License?

ive been thinking, wouldnt it be great when you renew your license, you would be required to take a short test or even the computer test again INCLUDING EXAM!!

i think this would help eliminate half the accidents on the road. im not saying this to pick on ANY specific groups but i hate people who dont know to drive properly DRIVING on the road!

Dont get me wrong, but old people, who cant see shit, should not be driving.

young people under age like 20 or 21, their license should expire a bit sooner then older people.

i dont know.. but this auto renew thing is crap.. i was in line at the motor vehical branch in vancouver, the one o mcdonald st, there this old guy. around 60-70. hes renewing his license. MAN it took him almost 2mins on the card machine, coz he had trouble finding the buttons!!! IMAGINE HIM DRIVING
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

that is such a dumb idea.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #3

so you dont mind old people who cant see driving on the road for years?!?!? and this is a good idea?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
I'm all for retesting seniors after say 70 years old.

But for the rest of us this would be a stupid inconvenience. You think the lineups at the DMV are bad NOW?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

it doesn't matter, people will still drive they way they do. Mind you it will get those very dangerous seniors off the road. but till we have cops giving bullshit tickets/ VI things wont change.
i mean, they will give ticket to the guy pass on the left rather than pulling over the guy slowing down traffic in the right lane.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I wouldn't mind it simply for the reason that atleast I get something out of the $50 or $75 it costs to renew your license.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
it won't change much. I see a ton of terrible/dangerous drivers. I would rather have an old person drive slow than a new driver rip through the streets.

think about how safe/slow teens drive for their roadtests, yet I see a lot of N drivers who drive like maniacs....
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You guys do know they do it in Europe right?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I wouldn't mind it simply for the reason that atleast I get something out of the $50 or $75 it costs to renew your license.
Posted via RS Mobile
i'll be fine if it's included in the renewal fee. if they're charging another extra 50-70 on top of it, then forget it.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
it won't change much. I see a ton of terrible/dangerous drivers. I would rather have an old person drive slow than a new driver rip through the streets.

think about how safe/slow teens drive for their roadtests, yet I see a lot of N drivers who drive like maniacs....
are talking about in Richmond?
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
i'll be fine if it's included in the renewal fee. if they're charging another extra 50-70 on top of it, then forget it.
well this should include it with the renewal..

all they need is an express computer that is only for this.. and it doesnt even have to be the full set of questions.. maybe just half or something.. just not give money and bam you renew your license..

theres a lot of people on the road that should have it in the first place..
Old 05-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Ah well, even if we can't test everyone, at least the veteran plates are great indicators of drivers the need a lot of room. I was reminded of that today when the fogey in the minivan started moving into my lane without signaling or shoulder-checking. He must've been deaf too, because I laid down on the horn, and he just continued on his vector.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Ya, go write a letter and see if it gets you anywhere...

And... Pretty sure seniors have to do something extra at 75, just sayin.

Problem with that test is that everyone, including you and me, can drive perfectly... For a test. Not hard to concentrate for 30mins and do shit properly.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Ah well, even if we can't test everyone, at least the veteran plates are great indicators of drivers the need a lot of room. I was reminded of that today when the fogey in the minivan started moving into my lane without signaling or shoulder-checking. He must've been deaf too, because I laid down on the horn, and he just continued on his vector.
That's pretty ignorant. Lots of "non old" veterans around.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
^^^
Sure, but the majority I encounter are the old folks that don't drive so good!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I would support stricter initial testing.

I just got my motorcycle license and while practicing in a lot I was approached by a German couple. They wanted to know how much it cost and what it took. I said:
- $15 for a written test, 32 out of 40 questions correct to pass
- free parking lot cone test, about 10 mins and basic skills

Without taking the road test, my only restrictions are:
- no night driving
- no passengers
- no booze

So for $15 and 20 mins of testing, I can ride any bike at any speed anywhere. Dumb eh?

In Germany they would have to take 10+ lessons for a cost of 1000 euros. Meanwhile I paid $15 and took ZERO lessons.

Richmond would be a very empty place if these kind of licensing requirements were put in place.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #17
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think doing a full exam (written so that you'd be aware of any rules changes and a road test) during license renewal is worthwhile. This should weed out some of the poor drivers (young, old, c-lai's, those who "bought" their license, etc)

It's only once every 5 years, so a small price to paid for safer roads.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

there are many competent drivers out there who still dont know the rules of the road. how often do you see lane changes over single white lines? how often do you see drivers shoulder checking? how often do you see someone fully stopping at 4 way stops. how often do you see people speed? how often do you see people making left turns when they can't even see what's coming?

im sorry but re-examination will do nothing to weed out the bad drivers. the ability to use a button machine is irrelevant to driving a car. there's people out there that can operate tractors but can't drive a manual but it doesn't mean they can't drive their tractors.

what we have now is pretty good..

if anything that could be done is a recent documented physical examination required for those renewing their license at ages 65+. i can't think of anything else
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

ahaha. the original poster thinks this will eliminate HALF the accidents on the road? You know what is going to really happen if they do this? You guys will just complain that ICBC is ripping you off and all that other bullshit people cry about.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Whichever politician spearheads this idea will definitely lose in the next election.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
I would support stricter initial testing.

I just got my motorcycle license and while practicing in a lot I was approached by a German couple. They wanted to know how much it cost and what it took. I said:
- $15 for a written test, 32 out of 40 questions correct to pass
- free parking lot cone test, about 10 mins and basic skills

Without taking the road test, my only restrictions are:
- no night driving
- no passengers
- no booze

So for $15 and 20 mins of testing, I can ride any bike at any speed anywhere. Dumb eh?

In Germany they would have to take 10+ lessons for a cost of 1000 euros. Meanwhile I paid $15 and took ZERO lessons.

Richmond would be a very empty place if these kind of licensing requirements were put in place.
what is so dumb about that? You have a license so I will assume you know the rules of the road. You have demonstrated that you can safely control your motorcycle in the 20 minute test. What else would you like them to test you on? You wear your L and the rest of us on the road will give you extra room and be more cautious around you.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Or maybe something like ppl who have multiple accidents r required to take tests while those who r clean will be exempt.
Posted via RS Mobile
TomBox_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
ahaha. the original poster thinks this will eliminate HALF the accidents on the road? You know what is going to really happen if they do this? You guys will just complain that ICBC is ripping you off and all that other bullshit people cry about.
since they are already ripping us off, why not include something in the price of the renewal?

just walking in, paid $75 to get your license renewed and walked out... does that sound like its safe especially with someone who has an accident history or whatever...

you guys complain about bad drivers, now i give an idea like this and you guys complain, at least it would be a start to clean the streest of bad drivers...

all i can say is WOW.. im done!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #24
I STILL don't get it

re-doing a written test, although it seems like a good concept, would not change things one bit. road tests are too time-consuming to be practical. Maybe a simulator of some sort might work, but thats a long way away.

writing a test where you can think about things VS split-second decisions on the road? you can see why these "bad drivers" are on the road to begin with. they can ace the tests but can't apply the same knowledge once they hit the asphalt.

you can tell a guy to shoulder-check when changing lanes, yes. will he do it? Most likely not, unless he trains himself everytime he drives to swing that head around to check his side. for a really bad driver, it will take an accident to correct those bad habits unfortunately.

so yeah, at this point, any kind of written test is pretty much useless in my book. EXPERIENCE is the best teaching tool, and until that experience comes along, you'd find it hard to put those by-the-book concepts to proper use.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

taylor192
You are a fucking dumb ass. Go find another forums to troll on.