REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
what is so dumb about that? You have a license so I will assume you know the rules of the road. You have demonstrated that you can safely control your motorcycle in the 20 minute test. What else would you like them to test you on? You wear your L and the rest of us on the road will give you extra room and be more cautious around you.
You are what is wrong with drivers.

The 10 min test did not cover me leaning over at 110 kmph on the Coquihalla, nor what happens if someone cuts me off, or negotiating a downhill decreasing radius turn in the rain.

I haven't demonstrated even the basics of driving, just that I can get around a few cones in a parking lot. Yet I can hop on the most powerful sportbike I can buy and ride the crap out of it.

That is not right.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

The 10 min test did not cover me leaning over at 110 kmph on the Coquihalla, nor what happens if someone cuts me off, or negotiating a downhill decreasing radius turn in the rain.

I haven't demonstrated even the basics of driving, just that I can get around a few cones in a parking lot. Yet I can hop on the most powerful sportbike I can buy and ride the crap out of it.

That is not right.
right...it's more like you are the problem

who's going 110km/h? it's funny how you blame icbc licensing for your crappy driving.
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #28
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 168 Posts
like aircare isn't bad enough as is already...

you want to bring more laws to complicate car enthusiasts
mekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

There should be new mandates on teaching and testing on how to handle emergency situations.

A good percentage of lives lost and accidents could probably be prevented this way. Way better than having useless testing every few years.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #30
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
god what a pain in the ass this would be

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #31
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

That is not right.
Well the stuff you named are situations where one would expect a novice to take it easy. Just because we all have the same driver license does not mean we all are equally skilled at operating our vehicle. So one would expect that if you think you are not able to negotiate a downhill decreasing radius turn in the rain, then perhaps you should go slower or not do it at all. When you have the skills to do so then you can try. Just because you dont have the balls to whip a corner in the rain does not mean you should not be allowed to have license.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #32
I STILL don't get it

^also to add, the test does cover the situations you mentioned. You being able to safely break in an emergency situation shows that you can handle the cut off part. You being able to negotiate a full-lock u-turn demonstrates that you can control the motorcycle in balance compromising situations. (ie. slow speed, slippery ground). And I guess they aren't testing you on the leaning over part at 110 km/h because frankly, what is the point?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing666 View Post
right...it's more like you are the problem

who's going 110km/h? it's funny how you blame icbc licensing for your crappy driving.
Since you misunderstood my point, please don't reply again till you do.

The speed limit on the Coquihalla is 110 kmph in places. The MST did not cover being leaned over in a high speed turn yet I am permitted to do this, without any supervision either.

My driving is fine cause I've driven motorcycles when I was a teen. My comment concerns other new drivers who can weave through a few cones at 20 kmps, then hop on a 1000cc 100hp supersport at 110 kmph+ with no indication they can handle driving it and no training or testing required.

One day you'll grow up and understand. Reply when that day comes.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Well the stuff you named are situations where one would expect a novice to take it easy. Just because we all have the same driver license does not mean we all are equally skilled at operating our vehicle. So one would expect that if you think you are not able to negotiate a downhill decreasing radius turn in the rain, then perhaps you should go slower or not do it at all. When you have the skills to do so then you can try. Just because you dont have the balls to whip a corner in the rain does not mean you should not be allowed to have license.

^also to add, the test does cover the situations you mentioned. You being able to safely break in an emergency situation shows that you can handle the cut off part. You being able to negotiate a full-lock u-turn demonstrates that you can control the motorcycle in balance compromising situations. (ie. slow speed, slippery ground). And I guess they aren't testing you on the leaning over part at 110 km/h because frankly, what is the point?
You can guess all you want, I don't guess.

I used the German system cause it is a very good example, no guessing required. They have to do 10+ hours of lessons before driving to be taught the proper skills, rather than a novice "just take it slow" and try to teach themselves and develop poor incorrect habits.

The point of testing at 110 kmph is BC has a number of highways with this speed limit. Germany has specific tests to be allowed to drive on the autobahn.

Please if you're going to reply, no more guessing. Real facts trump your guesses. German drivers are much better cause they are better taught.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #35
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaw View Post
like aircare isn't bad enough as is already...

you want to bring more laws to complicate car enthusiasts
being a car enthusiast is once thing, driving properly and SAFELY is another thing.. so your saying that the car enthusiasts are all bad drivers? i mean you can still be a car enthusiast, just obey the law, no?

by the sounds of things, you seem to be a bad driver if you dont know the difference...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #36
I STILL don't get it

^ Lets be clear here then. What exactly are we testing for at 110 km/h?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #37
Banned (BBM)

i wouldnt mind, as long as get those c lais off the road

tats a small price to pay
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #38
I STILL don't get it

and what am i guessing here? If you are going to only use real facts, please don't make statements like German drivers are better because they are better not. Surely you don't expect us to take your words for it. Ok now looking over my post, what part am I guessing? Let me clarify my last statement. I was trying to some quippy and clever when i stated that "and I guess they aren't testing you on the leaning over part at 110 km/h because frankly, what is the point?" What I meant to say is, testing at 110 km/h is useless because it does tells us nothing.

"They have to do 10+ hours of lessons before driving to be taught the proper skills, rather than a novice "just take it slow" and try to teach themselves and develop poor incorrect habits."

Well we do that here to. A smart rider will seek out additional riding instructions if they do not believe they are up to the task. (riding schools)
Those of us who ride know that motorcycling is a life long learning experience. Getting 10 extra hours of lessons from a professional as a noob is not going change anything.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
and what am i guessing here? If you are going to only use real facts, please don't make statements like German drivers are better because they are better not. Surely you don't expect us to take your words for it.
No, I expect you to look it up instead of still guessing.

Quote:
Ok now looking over my post, what part am I guessing? Let me clarify my last statement. I was trying to some quippy and clever when i stated that "and I guess they aren't testing you on the leaning over part at 110 km/h because frankly, what is the point?" What I meant to say is, testing at 110 km/h is useless because it does tells us nothing.
Yes, cause leaning over at 110 kmph focusing on the apex of a turn while checking mirrors, for potholes, and monitoring the car infront is a "nothing" skill.

You tried, and failed. You're not clever, you're ignorant.

Quote:
"They have to do 10+ hours of lessons before driving to be taught the proper skills, rather than a novice "just take it slow" and try to teach themselves and develop poor incorrect habits."

Well we do that here to. A smart rider will seek out additional riding instructions if they do not believe they are up to the task. (riding schools)
Those of us who ride know that motorcycling is a life long learning experience. Getting 10 extra hours of lessons from a professional as a noob is not going change anything.
You're an idiot. Please stop.

In Germany the 10+ hours of instruction is mandatory, for cars and motorcycles. Here it is optional.

There are advanced courses offered in the lower mainland that even the most experienced riders comment they learned something from a few hours on a weekend. 10 hours of qualified instruction makes a huge difference.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
by the sounds of things, you seem to be a bad driver if you dont know the difference...
It is just the typical young driver mentality that is all too common on RS: "I know it all, don't you dare tell me I don't". Sadly we have to share the roads with these ignorant drivers.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #41
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Too much "I'm the best driver in the world, everyone else sucks" mentality in here.

Personally I wouldn't mind a quick computer test on renewal. If it shows that you've forgotten basics, then its a reminder to go brush up on some things.

It would be extremely easy if you knew the rules of the road. What is there to be afraid of, you are supposed to know the rules anyway. I wouldn't be in favor of a road exam... it would kind of be a logistical problem for ICBC.

However, I would be in favor of Cops instead of giving tickets for money, giving tickets to dangerous drivers saying they need to re-take an exam. Far too much dangerous driving out there.

That guy who hit Matsuda at a red light is a prime example of accidents that really shouldn't be happening.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
^ they'll never be able to pay off the Olympics debt then
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
Sure, I'd be in favour of some sort of re-test when renewing one's DL.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
I wouldn't be in favor of a road exam... it would kind of be a logistical problem for ICBC.

However, I would be in favor of Cops instead of giving tickets for money, giving tickets to dangerous drivers saying they need to re-take an exam. Far too much dangerous driving out there.
Other countries get around this problem by licensing driving schools to administer the programs, and the number of schools/courses will self-adjust to the demand.

Some states allow you to take a course rather than have the ticket go on your record. I think this would be an awesome alternative to the "bad driver" ticket you suggest - although I am definitely in favour of cops being able to hand out "you suck, retest" tickets.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
be realistic my friend
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #46
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Those of you who have raised points about the content of the motorcycle training courses, the skill evels required, the unrestricted access to every motorcycle etc. , will be happy to hear that all these very points are being worked on. You have seen some of the results in Bill 14 and there is much more to come in a fairly short time.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Those of you who have raised points about the content of the motorcycle training courses, the skill evels required, the unrestricted access to every motorcycle etc. , will be happy to hear that all these very points are being worked on. You have seen some of the results in Bill 14 and there is much more to come in a fairly short time.
I used a motorcycle as the example since I just went through it. You can apply all my points about motorcycles equally to cars (well... except leaning!). The German licensing system has just as many instruction hour requirements for cars as it does for motorcycles.