REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #51
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Health check food is not always healthy

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/01/23/hyping_health/
Yeah, I saw that after I made my earlier post. I also read somewhere that they had tightened their nutrition standards, removing entire categories of foods (ie. cookies). Still, it does beg the question why they'd have cookies on there in the first place.

Regardless, I don't think you can look at the Health Check example and somehow conclude that all organizations are operating under equally heavy industry biases.

Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #52
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I personally have noticed the Health Check is still not a good guideline. I have food allergies that require me to read the labels on everything I eat in great deal and I still find that the "Health Check" is often on actually HIGHER sodium products then some of the alternatives (look in the soup aisle for example). And often foods that were also higher in preservatives and other additives that are less then healthy.

Thanks for the Marketplace link! It was entertaining. I didn't know about the ONQI system that's a neat idea IF they can truely score everything in the store.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #53
Ubereem Mod

I acutally find this thread informative, both sides of the coin.

Here's some info, i've read on the past:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/nu00262

Also, i don't think skinny's diet is all that great either and I would never eat the way or the things he would, but to prove a point that Skinnypupp's info isn't all bullshit coming out of his ass. :P

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/but...garine/AN00835

As for what's health and what's not. FOLLOW THIS DAMN MAXIM: "EVERYTHING IN MODERATION".

And you're going to be healthy.

Last edited by Gt-R R34; 06-24-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #54
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
I acutally find this thread informative, both sides of the coin.

Here's some info, i've read on the past:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/nu00262

Also, i don't think skinny's diet is all that great either and I would never eat the way or the things he would, but to prove a point that Skinnypupp's info isn't all bullshit coming out of his ass. :P

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/but...garine/AN00835

As for what's health and what's not. FOLLOW THIS DAMN MAXIM: "EVERYTHING IN MODERATION".

And you're going to be healthy.
Both of those sources re-iterated my posts and recommended against saturated fats. (The second article basically says that if you buy the right type of margarine, it is superior to butter. If not, then it's inferior.)

I agree with the "everything in moderation" sentiment though, and eating a diet that's completely devoid of fat would be just as ridiculous as eating an all-meat diet.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #55
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
and oils.

most cheap granola, unless its like made at some super healthy health store uses cheaper oils (to save cost) like palm oils and or coconut oils.

according to what i was taught, those are bad oils.

with that being said, in moderation, they wont kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
granola is packed with sugar.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #56
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

from my understanding.

it goes like this

hydrogenated margarine is worse than butter, but non hydrogenated margarine made from poly or mono unsaturated fats/oils is better (in health) than butter. but if u can find non-hydrogenated margarine, chances are, it contained saturated fats just to stabilize it, and keep it "butter like"

so in the end, there is no exact healthy eating. just do ur best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
Both of those sources re-iterated my posts and recommended against saturated fats. (The second article basically says that if you buy the right type of margarine, it is superior to butter. If not, then it's inferior.)

I agree with the "everything in moderation" sentiment though, and eating a diet that's completely devoid of fat would be just as ridiculous as eating an all-meat diet.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #57
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

i recently went to diabetic class for a brush up (since the last time i went to one was like 5-10 years ago). and the information they gave and research they have done since has changed a lot.

they still reconmend the whole 1/2 fruits n vegs, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein, as a rough guideline for healthy eating, but at least they into more detail now.

a lot of what i learned before, and thru the years still holds up though.

whatever you eat as a snack, make sure its a healthy hearty carb. if its been packaged and processed, compared to some home made or healthy combined made product, then you know the answer.

my issue isnt so much taste, or energy boost. i have stuff for that, but its sustainability. my issue is im up by 5, at work by 7:30, and my lunch break isnt til 2. thats roughly a span of 6.5 hrs i dont eat. so i need a snack that can push my blood sugars long enough to last for that long. if i drink a can of sugar pop, ill get a sugar high, but wont last me long enough til lunch. cant have those fruit leathers either, same idea. a piece of fruit is always good but cant pack that all the time. packaged granola bars are full of sugar and oils making them just not healthy. so whats left? dry mixed fruits n nuts pretty much. can grab an handful when im by my locker.

anyhow, if u have questions, ill see if i can answer them. might not be the best answer, or the correct one, but at least everyone can educate each other.

lots of different studies and research out there. doubt there is 1 definitive answer as each person is different. what worked for you may not be able to work for me due to my lifestyle and being diabetic.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #58
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

!SG> For diabetics that's where the fat comes in. If you have fat with your sugars it slows the sugar high and evens it out a bit.. I was told to have fruit with fat for example - yogurt (not the craptastic non fat kind) with berries, apple & cheese, carrots with a dip - stuff like that.

That said, I eat mixed nuts at work 3 mornings out of 5 days for exactly the same reason. I keep a big bag in my desk.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #59
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

i cant eat yogurt, im lactose intolerant. well i can, but i prefer not to cuz i have to take those lactose pills.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 06-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #60
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
and oils.

most cheap granola, unless its like made at some super healthy health store uses cheaper oils (to save cost) like palm oils and or coconut oils.

according to what i was taught, those are bad oils.

with that being said, in moderation, they wont kill you.
You were taught wrong. The complete opposite of correct.. There is nothing unhealthy about coconut or palm oils (if left untouched). I think you might be confused from you lesson, I'm sure they would have specified that it is hydrogenated fats that are bad for you (any oil can be hydrogenated, even animal fat).

Unless they are completely wrong to begin with, which is totally possible
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #61
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

thats the thing, like you said, in north america, palm oils and coconut oils are not left untouched. if it was left untouch, it is relatively good for you, in moderation. cant be eating that by the tablespoon full by itself (nor would it taste good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You were taught wrong. The complete opposite of correct.. There is nothing unhealthy about coconut or palm oils (if left untouched). I think you might be confused from you lesson, I'm sure they would have specified that it is hydrogenated fats that are bad for you (any oil can be hydrogenated, even animal fat).

Unless they are completely wrong to begin with, which is totally possible

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #62

Actually with coconut oil, moderation isn't nearly enough.. You could eat it by the spoon, and a lot of people do. Same goes for fish oil.. I take 2 tablespoons of that every day
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #63
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
whatever you eat as a snack, make sure its a healthy hearty carb. if its been packaged and processed, compared to some home made or healthy combined made product, then you know the answer.
the only healthy carbs = whole fruits and vegetables
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
Partially true, in that the fruits and vegetables (often) have a lot of nutrients in addition to the carbs. The actual carb that is in them (fructose) is actually the worst carb of all.

So it's good to eat fruit, but sparingly, and stick to the ones with little sugar (berries are fantastic)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #65
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

whole grains are good too. but haha, you dont want to be eating so much that the fibre in what you eat, makes you shit out a granola bar =P hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors