REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   healthy grab and go foods? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617573-healthy-grab-go-foods.html)

hi-revs 06-15-2010 10:49 PM

healthy grab and go foods?

Instead of hi-jacking the other thread; Im wondering what you guys eat, or can recommend for healthy grab and go foods; for work while always on the run?

Lets have a list going:

granola/oatmeal bars
apple.....

StealthFighter 06-16-2010 11:31 AM

granola is packed with sugar.

twitchyzero 06-16-2010 12:20 PM

http://www.nancywudesign.com/portfol...oGo02Pkg_4.jpg
http://www.bulkfoods.com/pictures/2443.jpg
http://nickshell1983.files.wordpress...anana-jpg.jpeg

sonick 06-16-2010 01:08 PM

Sugar. Sugar. Sugar, but a decent choice.

http://ellenbarrett.files.wordpress....08/almonds.jpg

Girl 06-16-2010 02:31 PM

^that's only for raw almonds, any nuts roasted has their nutrients denatured and it's not good for the body once nuts are roasted.

Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, peanuts)
Edamame - boil, salt & pepper and voila
Fruit
veggie sticks
natural yogurt
cottage cheese

Amaru 06-17-2010 12:27 AM

Usually a good snack will require two components: a carbohydrate source, and a protein source.

I recommend either a fruit or vegetable for the carb, and some nuts or dairy for the protein.... however there are plenty of options. Btw, keep in mind that fruit is usually very sugary.

Some examples:
- A banana with peanut butter.
- An orange and some cashews.
- Carrot sticks and almonds.
- Two rice cakes and a protein shake.
- An apple and some cottage cheese.
- Yogurt and unsalted beef jerky.
- Crackers with low-fat cream cheese.
- Celery sticks with peanut butter.
- Carrot sticks with trail mix.
- Fruit salad and a glass of milk.

etc.

SkinnyPupp 06-17-2010 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaru (Post 6995100)
Usually a good snack will require two components: a carbohydrate source, and a protein source.

I recommend either a fruit or vegetable for the carb, and some nuts or dairy for the protein.... however there are plenty of options. Btw, keep in mind that fruit is usually very sugary.

Some examples:
- A banana with peanut butter.
- An orange and some cashews.
- Carrot sticks and almonds.
- Two rice cakes and a protein shake.
- An apple and some cottage cheese.
- Yogurt and unsalted beef jerky.
- Crackers with low-fat cream cheese.
- Celery sticks with peanut butter.
- Carrot sticks with trail mix.
- Fruit salad and a glass of milk.

etc.

Your examples are okay, but your advice isn't. Fat and protein is what you want, not carbs. That is indicated by many of your better examples... Anything with nuts is good, because of the high fat content.

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-17-2010 07:28 AM

wats wrong with fruit to go?

and whats wrong with ROASTED nuts?

gotta be fresh nuts?
:confused:

Inaii 06-17-2010 08:01 AM

They already explained what was wrong with them...

twitchyzero 06-17-2010 10:01 AM

meh fruit to go and other fruits are good enough alternative for me
obviously they are better choices, but the majority of the healthier foods listed i like to eat them while they are still cold and not been sitting at room temperature for 4 hours when you take your work break.
better than the usual junkfood snacks

TheNewGirl 06-17-2010 10:43 AM

I grab organic trail mix or unsalted nut mixes (Shoppers drug mart has a great mix of these). Yogurt (No splenda, low but not no fat), and carrot sticks (carrots though are packed with sugar if that's an issue for you).

I would avoid processed sugar and fruit leather, they don't have the fiber needed to process thier sugars. And they've got added sugar and crap in them.

Amaru 06-17-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6995152)
Your examples are okay, but your advice isn't. Fat and protein is what you want, not carbs. That is indicated by many of your better examples... Anything with nuts is good, because of the high fat content.

Why fat? Because it's densely packed with calories? I would avoid saturated fats and high-GI carbs, personally.

Too much sugar and you'll crash in no time, but you still need carbs/protein for short-term energy, don't you think?

SkinnyPupp 06-18-2010 12:25 AM

Avoiding saturated fat is a misguided notion, and overall a horrible idea
Posted via RS Mobile

Lolkai 06-18-2010 01:51 AM

PBJ sandwiches w/ wholegrain/wheat bread
organic PB and welch's concord jelly.

DO NOT GET KRAFT PB!

And worrying about the whole sugar notion it varies for each individual so it truly depends on how active you are and how your body type reacts to sugar.

Amaru 06-18-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6996468)
Avoiding saturated fat is a misguided notion, and overall a horrible idea
Posted via RS Mobile

Perhaps I should clarify. By "avoid" I actually mean "limit," since it's basically impossible to completely eliminate saturated fats from your diet.

Saturated fats are most commonly found in things like butter, full-fat dairy products, and red meats... so a person could, for example, use margarine instead of butter on their morning toast, drink 1% milk, and opt for a 6oz steak instead of a 12oz steak. You'll obviously still eat some saturated fats - if you eat a cookie that contains lard, for example, or if you put cream in your coffee - but, overall, limiting the intake of saturated fats is a good idea, don't you think?

Anyway, I assume you aren't suggesting that saturated fats are a good thing? The human body can manufacture all the saturated fat it needs by itself. Saturated fats can contribute to various cardiovascular diseases, so I certainly wouldn't seek them out as part of your daily diet.

As the age-old adage goes, "everything in moderation"...

Marioo1991 06-18-2010 06:45 AM

I'm trying to put on some more weight, so this is what i usually snack on throughout the morning:
-protein bars
-bananas
-mixed nuts (almonds,peanuts,etc)
-tuna wraps

TheNewGirl 06-18-2010 09:19 AM

Actually fat slows the absorbtion of sugars into your body and helps your body digest it. It also triggers insulin production which also allows your body to efficently process glucose based sugars aka. Carbs. Carbs are fine so long as they're always consumed with fiber and fat. It's fructose-glucose sugars that need to be limited particularly in liquid form.

For someone trying to maintain a healthy body type I would recommend butter, real butter on your toast (which should be whole grain) any day over margerine (which is harmful in other ways). And allowing 2% milk at least, never 1% or skim. I would recommend yogurt with fat (none of this fat free crap) of at least 1% for a breakfast sized serving. And avoiding artifical sweeteners.

SkinnyPupp 06-18-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaru (Post 6996531)
Perhaps I should clarify. By "avoid" I actually mean "limit," since it's basically impossible to completely eliminate saturated fats from your diet.

Saturated fats are most commonly found in things like butter, full-fat dairy products, and red meats... so a person could, for example, use margarine instead of butter on their morning toast, drink 1% milk, and opt for a 6oz steak instead of a 12oz steak. You'll obviously still eat some saturated fats - if you eat a cookie that contains lard, for example, or if you put cream in your coffee - but, overall, limiting the intake of saturated fats is a good idea, don't you think?

Anyway, I assume you aren't suggesting that saturated fats are a good thing? The human body can manufacture all the saturated fat it needs by itself. Saturated fats can contribute to various cardiovascular diseases, so I certainly wouldn't seek them out as part of your daily diet.

Holy Fuck you're a moron

LiquidTurbo 06-18-2010 10:54 PM

I don't see what's wrong with some real fresh fruit, like a Banana, if you are actually on the go, running around, rather than living a sedentary lifestyle.

If you're laying around the computer all day, sugary, 'carby' foods isn't exactly the best snack to be eating.

LiquidTurbo 06-18-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaru (Post 6996531)

Time to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. You're in for a 'whoa' like moment reminiscent of the Matrix.

Amaru 06-20-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6997468)
Holy Fuck you're a moron

Care to explain this insult further? Which part of my post do you disagree with?

You do realize my entire post is regarding saturated fats, correct? I never said a person should avoid fat altogether. On the contrary, I'm well aware that both types of unsaturated fats are desirable and beneficial. I simply suggested limiting your intake of saturated fat.

• "As a general rule, it's a good idea to keep your intake of saturated fats as low as possible." - Harvard School of Public Health

• "Saturated fat is the main dietary cause of high blood cholesterol. Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories." - American Heart Association

• "Saturated fat eaten in excessive amounts is the main culprit in raising total and LDL (“ bad”) cholesterol, which can increase risk of heart disease. High saturated fat intake may also contribute to increasing the risk of obesity, diabetes, and cancer." - University of Michigan Health Systems

• "Foods high in saturated fats tend to raise blood cholesterol. Keep your intake of these foods low." - United States Department of Health "Dietary Guidelines" Manual

• "...limit trans fat and saturated fat in your diet ... saturated and trans fat tend to increase the risk of heart disease." - Health Canada

• "When looking at a food label, pay very close attention to the percentage of saturated fat and avoid or limit any foods that are high." - US National Library of Medicine Encyclopedia

• "One of the important diabetes nutrition guidelines is to eat less than 7% of calories from saturated fat." - American Diabetes Association

• "Limit total intake of fats and oils...Avoid butter, stick margarine, shortening, lard, palm and coconut oils...Limit saturated and trans fats..." - University of California Medical Center

Are the researchers at Harvard Medical School, the American Heart Association, and Health Canada all morons as well? :rolleyes:

Amaru 06-20-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 6997546)
Time to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. You're in for a 'whoa' like moment reminiscent of the Matrix.

Haven't read it, it's a daunting book... very long. But, I've heard of it, and I'm sure it's got some very good stuff in it.

It's also a very controversial book. If I'm not mistaken, Taubes is a journalist, not a medical researcher... and the book got some pretty intense backlash from the scientific community. Here's one example from a biomedical researcher in Louisiana.

Not saying it's not a good book with a strong argument, but the premise of the book disagrees with a lot of basic scientific principles regarding diet and obesity... so I would take it with a grain of salt (pardon the pun).

Most leading researchers and experts maintain the position (as I pointed out in the above post) that intake of saturated fats should be limited.

SkinnyPupp 06-20-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaru (Post 6999476)
Care to explain this insult further?

No
Quote:

Are the researchers at Harvard Medical School, the American Heart Association, and Health Canada all morons as well? :rolleyes:
And this is why. No they are not morons, they are just doing what they have to do to get paid.

Amaru 06-20-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6999525)
No

And this is why. No they are not morons, they are just doing what they have to do to get paid.

Correct. And in the case of university professors, they are paid to conduct unbiased, scientifically-accurate research without the threat of commercial or political interference. There is no reason nor incentive for them to misrepresent the dangers of saturated fats. (If anything, I would think conspiracy theorists should be arguing that McDonald's, Kraft and other food companies are bribing scientists to argue that high-fat foods AREN'T harmful...)

I cited research from the world's most reputable and well-respected research universities and health organizations... yet you fail my posts and call me a moron, but don't explain why you think I'm wrong?

Whatever... I'm not too bothered by your insults or trolling, but people read this particular forum for health advice. Telling them that it's good to eat saturated fats when 95%+ of the world's nutrition and health experts disagree is misleading and irresponsible.

If you want to refute the claims I posted above, go for it. If not, then please don't insult me and please don't spread inaccurate information to the general public.

waddy41 06-21-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaru (Post 6999584)
Correct. And in the case of university professors, they are paid to conduct unbiased, scientifically-accurate research without the threat of commercial or political interference. There is no reason nor incentive for them to misrepresent the dangers of saturated fats. (If anything, I would think conspiracy theorists should be arguing that McDonald's, Kraft and other food companies are bribing scientists to argue that high-fat foods AREN'T harmful...)

I cited research from the world's most reputable and well-respected research universities and health organizations... yet you fail my posts and call me a moron, but don't explain why you think I'm wrong?

Whatever... I'm not too bothered by your insults or trolling, but people read this particular forum for health advice. Telling them that it's good to eat saturated fats when 95%+ of the world's nutrition and health experts disagree is misleading and irresponsible.

If you want to refute the claims I posted above, go for it. If not, then please don't insult me and please don't spread inaccurate information to the general public.

No, you stop spreading inaccurate information to the general public.
And a lot of big corporations are the ones funding university studies in the states, so those professors are influenced and biased. A lot of results get suppressed because the big corporate sponsors do not like them. As well, the US government like to support certain industries; for example you should search "King Corn" and "Prescription for Disaster" videos.

Also check out www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroundwellness

On another note, I think Taubes is coming up with a condensed version of Good Calories, Bad Calories