REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Help...Confused and Scared...Driving while Prohibited (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619082-help-confused-scared-driving-while-prohibited.html)

iambeetle 07-05-2010 03:13 PM

Help...Confused and Scared...Driving while Prohibited

My situation is a bit complicated...

I have received a notice of prohibition for a 2 month period. I have signed and attach my license and sent it a couple weeks ago. However, one night I had to drive my friend back to Coquitlam... he just arrived to Canada and he wouldn't be able to get home by skytrain and bus because it is too late.

Anyways I was caught, the police said he took a pic of my licence plate and the system said I don't have a license.

My license actually expired in Feb but I didn't notice. Plus now I have sent my license back so I could not renew it anyways... However, when the police was asking for my license and registration paper, I found my old license in my car and passed it to him.

He went back to check and come back and tell me that my license has expired, therefore I couldn't drive anymore. I called my friend to come pick me and my car up. He wrote me a ticket of "No Driver's License", 24(1).

I am confused and very scared of being charged of driving while prohibited....

Now would what kind of problem is ahead of me? and what should I do for myself?

Please help me...

SumAznGuy 07-05-2010 03:57 PM

Kill yourself now.

/thread

At the time, you didn't think it was a big deal to drive with a suspended liscence and after you get caught, you are confused and scared. Good job.

johny 07-05-2010 04:01 PM

ever heard of a taxi?....

wendal 07-05-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambeetle (Post 7016991)

Haha funny story.

So i heard that the heat wave was expected in this week? Maybe i should wash my car sometime soon?

mkchoi0801 07-05-2010 08:47 PM

I think it's too late at this point... Just be glad you didn't run someone over.
What are the exact charges again? Is it 3 months suspension and like 10 DPP on your record?

Edit: Can they actually tell if your license is prohibited just by scanning your license plate? I don't think that's true..?

ninjatune 07-05-2010 10:50 PM

When a plate is run you get back the principle operator's driving licence status. You can also run the registered owners DL status if its not the same as the R/O.

Cossack 07-05-2010 11:39 PM

Ninjatune is right!!!

iambeetle 07-06-2010 07:17 AM

I don't know if I will be charged of driving while prohibited... the ticket the police wrote was "no driver's license" and he did not mention anthing about driving while prohibited.

I am wondering if I pay for the ticket now... will they send me a court date later? like will they try to find out if I was driving while prohibited?

I will never drive again in this prohibited period... lesson learned... I just wanna know what is going to happen to me... please help...

zulutango 07-06-2010 08:15 AM

Sounds like you got an immediate break that will later come back after you. Yes you were driving without a valid DL BUT you were also driving while prohibited. The officer who gave you the no DL ticket will get a notice from MVB telling them that you were prohibited when issued the VT and they will then proceed with a prohib driving charge...or they should. I guess that possibly your prohib period had not yet been entered on ther MVB database because you just sent it back a couple of weeks ago?

I don't know why the prohib charges were not procceeded with on the spot. Simple thing to issue you with an appearance notice for a court date some 6 to 8 weeks later and then write the file up later. They know it was you because you produced your old DL, so identificaton is not an issue. Not sure if the no DL ticket may be cause for a case of double jeopardy now? That will be up to crown Council to decide.

sho_bc 07-06-2010 02:13 PM

I always issue a "No Drivers Licence" ticket when dealing with a prohibited driver. There hasn't been any issues with that at the time of trial.

zulutango 07-06-2010 03:14 PM

I've had Crown bounce them back and we were given specific instructions to NOT issuse VTs because the offence had already been dealt with. Your CC and mine may have different ideas.? Most where I worked had very little MV Act experience and hated to handle the cases.

wolfcalibur 07-06-2010 04:33 PM

driving without a licence is very bad.! i believe if u have a second offence driving without a licence you get 14 days in jail. icbc will probly bump ur prohibition up to 2 years now lol, sucks to be you.

sho_bc 07-06-2010 04:59 PM

I can see it both ways (double jeopardy vs not), but have been instructed by our traffic guys as well as Crown to load up the violation tickets when it comes to a straight-forward Prohibited driver (ie. not an impaired file where the driver is also prohib)

sebberry 07-06-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatune (Post 7017515)
When a plate is run you get back the principle operator's driving licence status. You can also run the registered owners DL status if its not the same as the R/O.

Just the status or does it show record of violations, etc...?

sho_bc 07-06-2010 06:33 PM

We're able to see both operator status and driving record
Posted via RS Mobile

ninjatune 07-06-2010 07:03 PM

Island crown's apparently bounce a lot back, such as impaireds and drive w/out due care VT's from the same incident. On the mainland it's hit and miss... I'd keep writing them both just in case the crown that day accepts it.

BallPeenHammer2 07-08-2010 11:46 AM

To OP: Dude, I've been through that when I was 16 (long time ago).

If u drive while u're prohibited, then it goes up to 1 year from 1,2,3 months.

THen you have points to pay off. It's about $160 per 4 points.

ALSO, You're lucky the cop didn't impound your car. Driving while prohibited can result the vehicle being impounded for a MINIMUM of 60 days.
The fact that he let you guys go was a miracle as it is.

I have a pending prohibition case right now, and if I get rejected. I'll take the fucking bus. Simple as that. NO reason's a good reason to drive prohibited. (well, maybe if the world was ending)

Good luck. Time to face the music.

ws6ta 07-08-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambeetle (Post 7016991)

I have received a notice of prohibition for a 2 month period. I have signed and attach my license and sent it a couple weeks ago. However, one night I had to drive my friend back to Coquitlam... he just arrived to Canada and he wouldn't be able to get home by skytrain and bus because it is too late.

Anyways I was caught, the police said he took a pic of my licence plate and the system said I don't have a license.

My license actually expired in Feb but I didn't notice. Plus now I have sent my license back so I could not renew it anyways... However, when the police was asking for my license and registration paper, I found my old license in my car and passed it to him.

He went back to check and come back and tell me that my license has expired, therefore I couldn't drive anymore. I called my friend to come pick me and my car up. He wrote me a ticket of "No Driver's License", 24(1).

Now would what kind of problem is ahead of me? and what should I do for myself?

Please help me...

dispute the ticket. get a lawyer to fight it for you. If you manage to win you won't get the driving while prohibited ticket. Never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure thats how it would go.

sho_bc 07-09-2010 04:02 PM

Incorrect. The onus is on the driver to prove that he was licenced at the time. All the police officer has to do is request a copy of the driver's licence status on that time and date to show that he was correct in issuing that ticket.

If the police officer forgets to mention something in his evidence that happens to have the ticket thrown out, I'm positive that the Crown Prosecutor (Provincial Crown deals with Prohibited Driving charges) will make sure that it isn't forgotten in that trial.

There is no "ticket" for Prohibited Driving. It is a formal charge that is heard in a Provincial Court in front of a Judge with a Provincial Crown prosecuting, ideally an attorney for the defendant and the police officer is called upon as a witness.

BallPeenHammer2 07-09-2010 07:49 PM

/thread.

mkchoi0801 07-09-2010 11:30 PM

Thank you, why don't you become a mod first?

sho_bc 07-10-2010 04:06 AM

me? I don't need to become a moderator to provide correct information. The current moderators do a great job as-is.

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 10:06 AM

No not you, the info you share is great. Was just pointing to bellpepper trying to be cool or whatever he was trying to do there.

BallPeenHammer2 07-10-2010 03:32 PM

What? As compared to SumAznGuy's post all the way up there?
And seriously, you're gonna address someone, get their names right.

I understand the guy needs help, but seriously? For DRIVING WHILE PROHIBITED?!
That doesn't deserve any help at all.

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 03:40 PM

I swear your ID was bellpepper the first time I saw it man... sorry haha.
Like it's been said many times, people make stupid mistakes and this was one of them. I feel that this board is there to provide suggestions and help in the future and you don't meet any requirements to say that this thread is closed, that's all I had to say.

Edit: sorry I completely missed that guy's post, but his whole post was a joke so I didn't take it seriously anyways.