REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Help...Confused and Scared...Driving while Prohibited

My situation is a bit complicated...

I have received a notice of prohibition for a 2 month period. I have signed and attach my license and sent it a couple weeks ago. However, one night I had to drive my friend back to Coquitlam... he just arrived to Canada and he wouldn't be able to get home by skytrain and bus because it is too late.

Anyways I was caught, the police said he took a pic of my licence plate and the system said I don't have a license.

My license actually expired in Feb but I didn't notice. Plus now I have sent my license back so I could not renew it anyways... However, when the police was asking for my license and registration paper, I found my old license in my car and passed it to him.

He went back to check and come back and tell me that my license has expired, therefore I couldn't drive anymore. I called my friend to come pick me and my car up. He wrote me a ticket of "No Driver's License", 24(1).

I am confused and very scared of being charged of driving while prohibited....

Now would what kind of problem is ahead of me? and what should I do for myself?

Please help me...
Advertisement

Last edited by iambeetle; 07-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Kill yourself now.

/thread

At the time, you didn't think it was a big deal to drive with a suspended liscence and after you get caught, you are confused and scared. Good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

ever heard of a taxi?....
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeetle View Post

Haha funny story.

So i heard that the heat wave was expected in this week? Maybe i should wash my car sometime soon?
wendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

I think it's too late at this point... Just be glad you didn't run someone over.
What are the exact charges again? Is it 3 months suspension and like 10 DPP on your record?

Edit: Can they actually tell if your license is prohibited just by scanning your license plate? I don't think that's true..?

Last edited by mkchoi0801; 07-05-2010 at 10:28 PM.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

When a plate is run you get back the principle operator's driving licence status. You can also run the registered owners DL status if its not the same as the R/O.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Ninjatune is right!!!
Cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I don't know if I will be charged of driving while prohibited... the ticket the police wrote was "no driver's license" and he did not mention anthing about driving while prohibited.

I am wondering if I pay for the ticket now... will they send me a court date later? like will they try to find out if I was driving while prohibited?

I will never drive again in this prohibited period... lesson learned... I just wanna know what is going to happen to me... please help...
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Sounds like you got an immediate break that will later come back after you. Yes you were driving without a valid DL BUT you were also driving while prohibited. The officer who gave you the no DL ticket will get a notice from MVB telling them that you were prohibited when issued the VT and they will then proceed with a prohib driving charge...or they should. I guess that possibly your prohib period had not yet been entered on ther MVB database because you just sent it back a couple of weeks ago?

I don't know why the prohib charges were not procceeded with on the spot. Simple thing to issue you with an appearance notice for a court date some 6 to 8 weeks later and then write the file up later. They know it was you because you produced your old DL, so identificaton is not an issue. Not sure if the no DL ticket may be cause for a case of double jeopardy now? That will be up to crown Council to decide.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

I always issue a "No Drivers Licence" ticket when dealing with a prohibited driver. There hasn't been any issues with that at the time of trial.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I've had Crown bounce them back and we were given specific instructions to NOT issuse VTs because the offence had already been dealt with. Your CC and mine may have different ideas.? Most where I worked had very little MV Act experience and hated to handle the cases.

Last edited by zulutango; 07-06-2010 at 03:20 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Banned (BBM)

driving without a licence is very bad.! i believe if u have a second offence driving without a licence you get 14 days in jail. icbc will probly bump ur prohibition up to 2 years now lol, sucks to be you.
wolfcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #13

I can see it both ways (double jeopardy vs not), but have been instructed by our traffic guys as well as Crown to load up the violation tickets when it comes to a straight-forward Prohibited driver (ie. not an impaired file where the driver is also prohib)
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
When a plate is run you get back the principle operator's driving licence status. You can also run the registered owners DL status if its not the same as the R/O.
Just the status or does it show record of violations, etc...?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #15

We're able to see both operator status and driving record
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Island crown's apparently bounce a lot back, such as impaireds and drive w/out due care VT's from the same incident. On the mainland it's hit and miss... I'd keep writing them both just in case the crown that day accepts it.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

To OP: Dude, I've been through that when I was 16 (long time ago).

If u drive while u're prohibited, then it goes up to 1 year from 1,2,3 months.

THen you have points to pay off. It's about $160 per 4 points.

ALSO, You're lucky the cop didn't impound your car. Driving while prohibited can result the vehicle being impounded for a MINIMUM of 60 days.
The fact that he let you guys go was a miracle as it is.

I have a pending prohibition case right now, and if I get rejected. I'll take the fucking bus. Simple as that. NO reason's a good reason to drive prohibited. (well, maybe if the world was ending)

Good luck. Time to face the music.

Last edited by skidmark; 07-08-2010 at 05:04 PM.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeetle View Post

I have received a notice of prohibition for a 2 month period. I have signed and attach my license and sent it a couple weeks ago. However, one night I had to drive my friend back to Coquitlam... he just arrived to Canada and he wouldn't be able to get home by skytrain and bus because it is too late.

Anyways I was caught, the police said he took a pic of my licence plate and the system said I don't have a license.

My license actually expired in Feb but I didn't notice. Plus now I have sent my license back so I could not renew it anyways... However, when the police was asking for my license and registration paper, I found my old license in my car and passed it to him.

He went back to check and come back and tell me that my license has expired, therefore I couldn't drive anymore. I called my friend to come pick me and my car up. He wrote me a ticket of "No Driver's License", 24(1).

Now would what kind of problem is ahead of me? and what should I do for myself?

Please help me...

dispute the ticket. get a lawyer to fight it for you. If you manage to win you won't get the driving while prohibited ticket. Never been in this situation but I'm pretty sure thats how it would go.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #19

Incorrect. The onus is on the driver to prove that he was licenced at the time. All the police officer has to do is request a copy of the driver's licence status on that time and date to show that he was correct in issuing that ticket.

If the police officer forgets to mention something in his evidence that happens to have the ticket thrown out, I'm positive that the Crown Prosecutor (Provincial Crown deals with Prohibited Driving charges) will make sure that it isn't forgotten in that trial.

There is no "ticket" for Prohibited Driving. It is a formal charge that is heard in a Provincial Court in front of a Judge with a Provincial Crown prosecuting, ideally an attorney for the defendant and the police officer is called upon as a witness.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #20

/thread.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #21

Thank you, why don't you become a mod first?
Old 07-10-2010, 04:06 AM   #22

me? I don't need to become a moderator to provide correct information. The current moderators do a great job as-is.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #23

No not you, the info you share is great. Was just pointing to bellpepper trying to be cool or whatever he was trying to do there.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #24

What? As compared to SumAznGuy's post all the way up there?
And seriously, you're gonna address someone, get their names right.

I understand the guy needs help, but seriously? For DRIVING WHILE PROHIBITED?!
That doesn't deserve any help at all.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #25

I swear your ID was bellpepper the first time I saw it man... sorry haha.
Like it's been said many times, people make stupid mistakes and this was one of them. I feel that this board is there to provide suggestions and help in the future and you don't meet any requirements to say that this thread is closed, that's all I had to say.

Edit: sorry I completely missed that guy's post, but his whole post was a joke so I didn't take it seriously anyways.

Last edited by mkchoi0801; 07-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.