REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Personal LOC / Mtg Question

I know there are a few personal lenders here. Question....

I am looking to buy a place (with about 20 - 25% down payment) next year, and I was looking to get a personal line of credit in case of emergency. With zero debt, strong credit history, applying for a LOC (around 10 to 20k) now, would that hurt my DSC or in any other way when I apply for my mortgage?

My personal banker told me to get one now cause it'd be harder after I get my mortgage...

Thanks all in advance!
Advertisement
ChiGGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

the credit would likly effect your max mortgage amount you could borrow. but I'm no banker.

this may or may not be an issue, depending on what you can currently borrow vs what you plan on spending.

Last edited by johny; 08-07-2010 at 07:02 PM.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #3
I don't get it

Since you have no debts, getting approved for 10k personal line of credit should not affect your ability in obtaining a mortage. When i bought my place, i already had 10k or so used up in my LOC and was still approved for a $380k mortage with an excellent rate.

If you aren't approved for a PLOC, once you are approved for your mortage, you can always secure your LOC then against your place since your putting up a significant portion of down payment.
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

1. personal lending is based on a calculation of current commitments to your income, thus getting a line of credit approved now with your obligations of housing possibly at 0 if living at home as opposed to having a mortgage payment, utilities and property taxes is in fact easier
2. if will not affect your mortgage application, the worse thing that could happen is that your mortgage provider will request for you to close the line of credit/ consolidate any balance into the advance of the mortgage
3. if you put anything over 20% down you have a conventional mortgage as opposed to a high ratio, twofold benefit A- u will save on CMHC fees which is an insurance cost your lender will require to protect against default as there is limited equity, and B - you can likely go into a home equity mortgage

to elaborate - say purchase price of $300,000 20% downpayment ($60,000)

you will have a home equity mortgage limit of $240,000,
as you pay down your mortgage to say $220,000 you will have a $20,000 line of credit against the property as the $240,000 is your approved limit. The allocation does not matter as long as you are within your limit. so eventually you would have a $240,000 secured credit line.
woooo is offline   Reply With Quote