REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   legallity of adjustable suspension in passenger cars (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626299-legallity-adjustable-suspension-passenger-cars.html)

baggdis300 09-30-2010 01:57 AM

legallity of adjustable suspension in passenger cars

from what i have gathered its completely legal as long as theres no "in motion" use..

ie if the cars parked its all fine and dandy but as soon as you start hitting switches while in motion then you get completely fucked?

i have not been able to find an exact answer.....

is it legal to have as long as theres no inmotion use?

Great68 09-30-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Division 7D — Manual Suspension Control Prohibition

Prohibition
7D.01 (1) A person must not drive or operate on a highway a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg if the vehicle's suspension can be independently controlled by a person riding in the vehicle while it is being driven or operated on a highway.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle equipped with a suspension controller accessible in the passenger compartment provided the controller is designed and installed by the original vehicle manufacturer at the time of manufacture.
If you CAN adjust your suspension from inside your car, (And it's not OEM on the car) it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you use it while driving or not.

taylor192 09-30-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7126165)
If you CAN adjust your suspension from inside your car, (And it's not OEM on the car) it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you use it while driving or not.

The Enzo is street legal and it has a feature to raise the front end to park.
Many of the higher end sports cars have features that lower the suspension at speed to make the vehicle more stable. Some of the higher end SUVs have the same feature to raise the vehicle when faced with bigger obstacles.

There are certainly road legal cars with suspension that adjusts height while driving, and can be triggered by the driver, not automatically. I wonder why they allow this OEM, and not aftermarket....

Berzerker 09-30-2010 08:06 AM

Many cars have adjustable ride height now. From load leveling Trucks to cars with Sport/Comfort settings.

Berz out.

Soundy 09-30-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7126197)
There are certainly road legal cars with suspension that adjusts height while driving, and can be triggered by the driver, not automatically. I wonder why they allow this OEM, and not aftermarket....

Probably because those still conform to various federal regulations and limit the adjustments for their specific purposes. Same as why factory HIDs are legal and aftermarket installs are not: in order for the car as a whole to be approved for sale, the factory HID designs must meet very exact requirements for aim, cutoff, light production, light temperature, etc. Your average home installer, however, is not bound by those design regulations and would have no way to test them even if he was... thus the aftermarket install is simply prohibited. I would expect federal (Transport Canada) regulations have very specific definitions of what is allowed for ride adjustment as well, and the manufacturers have to adhere to that before they can market the car in Canada.

Also, most of those you listed don't really allow the driver to "adjust" the suspension, they only allow him to trigger certain presets. The system can be designed for an "upper" and a "lower" limit and simply allow the driver to select one or the other or maybe a couple points in between. It limits the ability for the driver to make rolling changes that could affect the driveability of the car.

Rich Sandor 09-30-2010 08:55 AM

As Soundy mentioned, the reasoning is that OEM takes into account the whole car when designing in-car adjustable ride height.

With an aftermarket application, the headlights won't be aimed right, the suspension geometry will be poor, and you could have a host of other clearance and safety issues that may never occur to you.

Solo_D33A 09-30-2010 01:03 PM

Well, subsection 2 already states OEM equipped are exempt from the rule...

and come to think of it, how about Tein EDFCs? they are a suspension controller after all...

baggdis300 09-30-2010 05:24 PM

dont those just control dampening? so theres no acutal change in ride height...

Great68 09-30-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 7126530)
and come to think of it, how about Tein EDFCs? they are a suspension controller after all...

They probably say "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" somewhere on the package.

baggdis300 10-04-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7126245)
As Soundy mentioned, the reasoning is that OEM takes into account the whole car when designing in-car adjustable ride height.

With an aftermarket application, the headlights won't be aimed right, the suspension geometry will be poor, and you could have a host of other clearance and safety issues that may never occur to you.

my lights auto level...

i can see the aim being leveled with every hit of a switch...