REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

legallity of adjustable suspension in passenger cars

from what i have gathered its completely legal as long as theres no "in motion" use..

ie if the cars parked its all fine and dandy but as soon as you start hitting switches while in motion then you get completely fucked?

i have not been able to find an exact answer.....

is it legal to have as long as theres no inmotion use?
Advertisement
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Division 7D — Manual Suspension Control Prohibition

Prohibition
7D.01 (1) A person must not drive or operate on a highway a vehicle that has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg if the vehicle's suspension can be independently controlled by a person riding in the vehicle while it is being driven or operated on a highway.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle equipped with a suspension controller accessible in the passenger compartment provided the controller is designed and installed by the original vehicle manufacturer at the time of manufacture.
If you CAN adjust your suspension from inside your car, (And it's not OEM on the car) it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you use it while driving or not.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
If you CAN adjust your suspension from inside your car, (And it's not OEM on the car) it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you use it while driving or not.
The Enzo is street legal and it has a feature to raise the front end to park.
Many of the higher end sports cars have features that lower the suspension at speed to make the vehicle more stable. Some of the higher end SUVs have the same feature to raise the vehicle when faced with bigger obstacles.

There are certainly road legal cars with suspension that adjusts height while driving, and can be triggered by the driver, not automatically. I wonder why they allow this OEM, and not aftermarket....
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Many cars have adjustable ride height now. From load leveling Trucks to cars with Sport/Comfort settings.

Berz out.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
There are certainly road legal cars with suspension that adjusts height while driving, and can be triggered by the driver, not automatically. I wonder why they allow this OEM, and not aftermarket....
Probably because those still conform to various federal regulations and limit the adjustments for their specific purposes. Same as why factory HIDs are legal and aftermarket installs are not: in order for the car as a whole to be approved for sale, the factory HID designs must meet very exact requirements for aim, cutoff, light production, light temperature, etc. Your average home installer, however, is not bound by those design regulations and would have no way to test them even if he was... thus the aftermarket install is simply prohibited. I would expect federal (Transport Canada) regulations have very specific definitions of what is allowed for ride adjustment as well, and the manufacturers have to adhere to that before they can market the car in Canada.

Also, most of those you listed don't really allow the driver to "adjust" the suspension, they only allow him to trigger certain presets. The system can be designed for an "upper" and a "lower" limit and simply allow the driver to select one or the other or maybe a couple points in between. It limits the ability for the driver to make rolling changes that could affect the driveability of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
racing & tech mod.

As Soundy mentioned, the reasoning is that OEM takes into account the whole car when designing in-car adjustable ride height.

With an aftermarket application, the headlights won't be aimed right, the suspension geometry will be poor, and you could have a host of other clearance and safety issues that may never occur to you.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Well, subsection 2 already states OEM equipped are exempt from the rule...

and come to think of it, how about Tein EDFCs? they are a suspension controller after all...
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

dont those just control dampening? so theres no acutal change in ride height...
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_D33A View Post
and come to think of it, how about Tein EDFCs? they are a suspension controller after all...
They probably say "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" somewhere on the package.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
As Soundy mentioned, the reasoning is that OEM takes into account the whole car when designing in-car adjustable ride height.

With an aftermarket application, the headlights won't be aimed right, the suspension geometry will be poor, and you could have a host of other clearance and safety issues that may never occur to you.

my lights auto level...

i can see the aim being leveled with every hit of a switch...