REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Rodney's (Review + Merged Thread) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628559-rodneys-review-merged-thread.html)

J32A2-S 10-01-2008 08:57 PM

Rodney's (Review + Merged Thread)

Anyone been here?
How is it and is it suitable for large parties..say 15-20 people?

I am having a hard time deciding where to have my birthday dinner

thanks

J32A2-S 10-06-2008 07:31 PM

nevermind
i went last night with my family. Not really impressed

q0192837465 10-07-2008 02:50 PM

tried them, u really have to get the oyster on special, like Happy hour or something. Otherwise it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE. Their other food arent great either & again too expensive.

MarkyMark 10-07-2008 06:52 PM

its good, but extemely expensive
large parties are not exactly suitable for that place...rodney's is more of a 3-4 friends get-together place

J32A2-S 10-08-2008 11:08 AM

yeah i think mon - thurs their oysters are 1.50...alright i guess
but we ordered some stuff on their menu and
i dont even find the quality even on par with places like cactus club...moxies

BinsentoW 10-12-2008 10:11 PM

low tide oysters for 1.50 is awesome, the rockerfeller oysters are quite good IMO.
Do people go there for meals? cuz theres almost nothing filling there, just pure seafood/oysters

Obsideon 10-15-2008 11:47 AM

I go there only during the lowtide specials, weekday afternoon I believe. The prices are "better" at that time. Regular prices are FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE!

aznrsx1979 10-15-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 6074072)
I go there only during the lowtide specials, weekday afternoon I believe. The prices are "better" at that time. Regular prices are FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE!

I agree, only time i go there is when they got their specials.

6793026 10-25-2010 07:34 PM

Rodney's (Review)

Rodney's Oyster House 1228 Hamilton St #405 Vancouver, BC V6B6L2
(604) 609-0080

I'm sure we are all familiar about this place, you want oysters, they bring it in at 3 PM, they start shucking at 4 and it's awesome.

It was the taste of yaletown night but we said no cause I ain't paying 45 dollars for surf and turf when i was there purely for the oysters. It was steak with lobster (I think it was a whole).

The place is really a great place to be, I was there with my buddy on a Sunday and their house was packed. We started off with Pan Fried Oysters which were great. Bread crumbs were minimal and it was just super fresh. 14 dollars ish for about 7 or 8.

Then we wanted to try a variety of diff types of oysters. Miyagi, Kusshis, Fanny Bay Oyster, Kumamoto Oyster, Pearl Bay Oyster and Samish Bay Oyster. They have a low tide special, $1.5 each which was a great deal.

Why? 0.99 from T&T for the big ones and 0.59 for the tiny ones and it's not even close to what you get. Just imagine the shipping and labor so yeah, 1.5 was a great deal.

The Kumamoto, miyagi and Kusshis were expensive, it's tiny oysters, but very fresh, and not a lot of bite. then we moved towards Fanny bay and I wasn't a fan, it turns out the creamiest oyster was the Samish and it was special. We had no idea the biggest oyster with the creamiest favor was so epic cheap. 1.5 each, compared to 3.5 for the Kusshi.

We ended up ordering a dozen of the low tide special.

Service was great, it's interesting because all the guys worse some interesting T-shirts "suck me off" Oyster Bay t-shirts. Most of the waiters are probably shuckers and all were wearing just t-shirts and shorts. Everyone's very laid back but just weird to not have one female waitress that day.

If you ever go there, sit down at the shucker's bar table, it's the place to be.

# 1 Note to self, do not go back eating anything but oysters cause it's that
good.
# 2 Do not drink that much beer cause it makes you full (we would've went for another dozen if we weren't bloated.
# 3 Oysters does NOT help soak up alcohol well.

All in all, decor 9/10, service 9/10 oysters (really can't go wrong, but they had about 5 sauces, from mild to Haberno hot and even horseraddish pepper vodka) 9/10

the bill was pricy considering just a few beers, 2 dozen oysters and pan fried oysters.

bcrdukes 10-25-2010 07:53 PM

Threads merged and title updated for clarity.

JHatta 10-25-2010 07:55 PM

thanks

i will go try this place out

Jet 10-25-2010 08:27 PM

I went there a week ago just for a quick lunch since I work around the area and if you go when there are no specials, it is pretty pricey ...

I have to agree with the Samish Bay oysters, I have never tried them before and I'm a Kusshi, Kumamoto and Village Bay fan and I was blown away at the texture, taste and size of the oyster for the price and against the heavy hitters, Kusshi and Kumamoto are very nice oysters but they are just crazy small for the price, but Samish Bay ones have the same texture and creaminess that the others had but the size was almost double ... also its a west coast oyster just in Washington State I believe so it travels only a short distance over (but then the Kusshi and Kumamoto I believe are also WC)

Decor is decent and the staff is knowledgeable for sure but go during specials or prepare to dish out some decent coin ...

suzuka84 10-25-2010 10:16 PM

rodneys is known to be a cougar hangout for the after work crowd

Culverin 10-25-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet (Post 7160382)
I have to agree with the Samish Bay oysters, I have never tried them before and I'm a Kusshi, Kumamoto and Village Bay fan and I was blown away at the texture, taste and size of the oyster for the price and against the heavy hitters, Kusshi and Kumamoto are very nice oysters but they are just crazy small for the price, but Samish Bay ones have the same texture and creaminess that the others had but the size was almost double ... also its a west coast oyster just in Washington State I believe so it travels only a short distance over (but then the Kusshi and Kumamoto I believe are also WC)

Zomg, I'm new to oysters, and yeah, thus far, the kusshi and kunamotos are by far my favorites.
Now I've got a new thing to try :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuka84 (Post 7160616)
rodneys is known to be a cougar hangout for the after work crowd

Oh nice, free oysters ;)

6793026 10-26-2010 07:49 PM

It wasn't much of a cougar hang out that day, I left Rodney's to Hapa afterwards and a cougar came by and asked us to sit with her and to join our tables.

I agree with jet, some people like the creamy texture and some people doesn't like stuff oozing out. The Ks (kusshi and kunamotos) are smaller and pretty much tasteless yet so refreshing in a way so I am sure and realize why some people would prefer them compared to something that's not Samish bay.