REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Rodney's (Review + Merged Thread)

Anyone been here?
How is it and is it suitable for large parties..say 15-20 people?

I am having a hard time deciding where to have my birthday dinner

thanks
Advertisement

Black J32A2 Type-S Retired

Buy/Sell Ratings 6-0-0

M a c t o g r a p h y

My Flickr
J32A2-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

nevermind
i went last night with my family. Not really impressed

Buy/Sell Ratings 6-0-0

M a c t o g r a p h y

My Flickr
Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

tried them, u really have to get the oyster on special, like Happy hour or something. Otherwise it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE. Their other food arent great either & again too expensive.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
its good, but extemely expensive
large parties are not exactly suitable for that place...rodney's is more of a 3-4 friends get-together place
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

yeah i think mon - thurs their oysters are 1.50...alright i guess
but we ordered some stuff on their menu and
i dont even find the quality even on par with places like cactus club...moxies

Buy/Sell Ratings 6-0-0

M a c t o g r a p h y

My Flickr
Old 10-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

low tide oysters for 1.50 is awesome, the rockerfeller oysters are quite good IMO.
Do people go there for meals? cuz theres almost nothing filling there, just pure seafood/oysters
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I go there only during the lowtide specials, weekday afternoon I believe. The prices are "better" at that time. Regular prices are FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE!

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I go there only during the lowtide specials, weekday afternoon I believe. The prices are "better" at that time. Regular prices are FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE!
I agree, only time i go there is when they got their specials.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Rodney's (Review)

Rodney's Oyster House 1228 Hamilton St #405 Vancouver, BC V6B6L2
(604) 609-0080

I'm sure we are all familiar about this place, you want oysters, they bring it in at 3 PM, they start shucking at 4 and it's awesome.

It was the taste of yaletown night but we said no cause I ain't paying 45 dollars for surf and turf when i was there purely for the oysters. It was steak with lobster (I think it was a whole).

The place is really a great place to be, I was there with my buddy on a Sunday and their house was packed. We started off with Pan Fried Oysters which were great. Bread crumbs were minimal and it was just super fresh. 14 dollars ish for about 7 or 8.

Then we wanted to try a variety of diff types of oysters. Miyagi, Kusshis, Fanny Bay Oyster, Kumamoto Oyster, Pearl Bay Oyster and Samish Bay Oyster. They have a low tide special, $1.5 each which was a great deal.

Why? 0.99 from T&T for the big ones and 0.59 for the tiny ones and it's not even close to what you get. Just imagine the shipping and labor so yeah, 1.5 was a great deal.

The Kumamoto, miyagi and Kusshis were expensive, it's tiny oysters, but very fresh, and not a lot of bite. then we moved towards Fanny bay and I wasn't a fan, it turns out the creamiest oyster was the Samish and it was special. We had no idea the biggest oyster with the creamiest favor was so epic cheap. 1.5 each, compared to 3.5 for the Kusshi.

We ended up ordering a dozen of the low tide special.

Service was great, it's interesting because all the guys worse some interesting T-shirts "suck me off" Oyster Bay t-shirts. Most of the waiters are probably shuckers and all were wearing just t-shirts and shorts. Everyone's very laid back but just weird to not have one female waitress that day.

If you ever go there, sit down at the shucker's bar table, it's the place to be.

# 1 Note to self, do not go back eating anything but oysters cause it's that
good.
# 2 Do not drink that much beer cause it makes you full (we would've went for another dozen if we weren't bloated.
# 3 Oysters does NOT help soak up alcohol well.

All in all, decor 9/10, service 9/10 oysters (really can't go wrong, but they had about 5 sauces, from mild to Haberno hot and even horseraddish pepper vodka) 9/10

the bill was pricy considering just a few beers, 2 dozen oysters and pan fried oysters.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Threads merged and title updated for clarity.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

thanks

i will go try this place out
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Jet
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I went there a week ago just for a quick lunch since I work around the area and if you go when there are no specials, it is pretty pricey ...

I have to agree with the Samish Bay oysters, I have never tried them before and I'm a Kusshi, Kumamoto and Village Bay fan and I was blown away at the texture, taste and size of the oyster for the price and against the heavy hitters, Kusshi and Kumamoto are very nice oysters but they are just crazy small for the price, but Samish Bay ones have the same texture and creaminess that the others had but the size was almost double ... also its a west coast oyster just in Washington State I believe so it travels only a short distance over (but then the Kusshi and Kumamoto I believe are also WC)

Decor is decent and the staff is knowledgeable for sure but go during specials or prepare to dish out some decent coin ...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
I don't get it

rodneys is known to be a cougar hangout for the after work crowd
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #14
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I have to agree with the Samish Bay oysters, I have never tried them before and I'm a Kusshi, Kumamoto and Village Bay fan and I was blown away at the texture, taste and size of the oyster for the price and against the heavy hitters, Kusshi and Kumamoto are very nice oysters but they are just crazy small for the price, but Samish Bay ones have the same texture and creaminess that the others had but the size was almost double ... also its a west coast oyster just in Washington State I believe so it travels only a short distance over (but then the Kusshi and Kumamoto I believe are also WC)
Zomg, I'm new to oysters, and yeah, thus far, the kusshi and kunamotos are by far my favorites.
Now I've got a new thing to try

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
rodneys is known to be a cougar hangout for the after work crowd
Oh nice, free oysters
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
It wasn't much of a cougar hang out that day, I left Rodney's to Hapa afterwards and a cougar came by and asked us to sit with her and to join our tables.

I agree with jet, some people like the creamy texture and some people doesn't like stuff oozing out. The Ks (kusshi and kunamotos) are smaller and pretty much tasteless yet so refreshing in a way so I am sure and realize why some people would prefer them compared to something that's not Samish bay.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote