REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #51
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Just fill his exhaust with gap filler, while no-one is watching of course. Problem solved. Consider it doing a favour by saving the police and court time.
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #52
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Call the Police non-emergency number and ask to speak to the Traffic section. Give them the plate number, vehicle description and owner's address and description. Tell them what you told us. Prepare popcorn and a good window seat.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #53
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Be prepared to wait 6-48 hours...
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #54
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Ironic I just watched this before coming here....

rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #55
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Where can you get your exhaust tested for db ratings? I've been really curious how loud mine is.
K-bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #56
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-bad View Post
Where can you get your exhaust tested for db ratings? I've been really curious how loud mine is.
If it's aftermarket and you are asking that questoin, then it probably is too loud, but then you knew that anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #57
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
So I gotta ask.

How come Harleys and other hogs are out there riding around? I haven't once see one get ticketed.
Especially since a speeding bike is generally a lot louder than a speeding car?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #58
RS Peace Officer

Cops prefer giving VIs for the loud exhausts...that way they can't just dispute the VT and continue riding with it that way. They need to pass an inspection within 30 days at the most.BTW...I know of 40 loud exhaust Harleys that have been VI'd over here on Fantasy Island.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-bad View Post
RCMP offered free testing last summer. Here's my bike being tested, it passed at 6K rpms with an aftermarket exhaust.

Alternatively you can buy cheap dB readers at The Source, they'll be accurate enough for you to know if you're > 90dB.

^ Why don't images display in this form?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
So I gotta ask.

How come Harleys and other hogs are out there riding around? I haven't once see one get ticketed. Especially since a speeding bike is generally a lot louder than a speeding car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
BTW...I know of 40 loud exhaust Harleys that have been VI'd over here on Fantasy Island.
I'm pretty sure the limit for a bike is louder than a car by 10 dB, yet that aside most bikes (even Harleys) are decent if you keep the RPMs down, which any good rider would around the police. My bike is very loud at high RPMs, yet I don't drive at WOT often so I haven't gotten a ticket. I suspect a lot of Harley riders are the same.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #61
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
Speaking of loud exhausts, can I call in on a neighbour?
His red Civic is abnoxiously loud and the problem is he drives it around the neighborhood for about an hour for no reason and during that time, he's doing u-turns and parking. According to my wife, she says he just in the parking spot moving it forward and back and that's when the exhaust is loudest (as well as when he's doing U-turns). It's really annoying and it wakes up my baby when she's napping in the day.
I actually finally saw the car over the weekend and asked my wife and she said that was the one she saw.
If I can't call in for the loud exhaust, can I call it in for his front window tint? Seems like he just got the car recently.
I do have to admit that I really like how his car is done up and it's something I'd love to do myself, but his driving habits are what's annoying my wife. She's scared to approach him cause she doesn't know what type of person he is and wants to just call the cops the next time. Just don't know if we can do that cause it's during the day.
So, I finally witnessed it for myself what the guy is doing. First off, he seems to really love showing off his car. He was with a bunch of friends with his car parked on the wrong side of the street posing in with the car while his friends were taking pictures.
Then I witnessed his forward and backwards thing my wife was talking about. Seems like he's learning how to drive a manual by constantly moving forward a little and then backwards in the parking spot. I only wish he didn't do that in the neighborhood and went somewhere where his loud exhaust wouldn't be annoying to anyone. Well, anyways, hopefully he'll learn soon before my wife goes crazy listening to him or before he wears out his clutch.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #62
I subscribe to Revscene

Why motorcycles are allowed to be nearly twice as loud as cars I'll never understand...

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #63
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I think it's because of the size of motorcycles compared to cars.
The piping in cars is much longer, can fit more cats, resonators, mufflers so by the time the noise comes out it is more muffled.
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #64
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
I think it's because of the size of motorcycles compared to cars.
The piping in cars is much longer, can fit more cats, resonators, mufflers so by the time the noise comes out it is more muffled.
Posted via RS Mobile
Bull. I've been around some pretty quiet motorcycles.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #65
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
That's because the average motorcycle out there is probably a 600cc+ death machine. It has a ridiculous power the weight ratio, and unfortunately for you, that's the norm for bikes. Many bikes are on the road are ready for the track and that's OEM.

It's like if everybody drove a monstrous V12 italian supercar, but they don't. They drive little dinky Matrix, Mazda 3 and Fits and thus, the average car isn't a tuned sports machine that's loud, it's quite quiet.

And on that note...
I heard that BC is banning 2-stroke bikes???
I think that will quiet things down a bit.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #66
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
So, I finally witnessed it for myself what the guy is doing. First off, he seems to really love showing off his car. He was with a bunch of friends with his car parked on the wrong side of the street posing in with the car while his friends were taking pictures.
Then I witnessed his forward and backwards thing my wife was talking about. Seems like he's learning how to drive a manual by constantly moving forward a little and then backwards in the parking spot. I only wish he didn't do that in the neighborhood and went somewhere where his loud exhaust wouldn't be annoying to anyone. Well, anyways, hopefully he'll learn soon before my wife goes crazy listening to him or before he wears out his clutch.
Crawl under it when he's not looking and spray some WD-40 into his clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #67
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Just wait until he learns how to drive it and he can take it out of his parking spot

As for posing with a car he doesn't yet know how to drive...