REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What can you do (legally) when you witness someone gave your car a door ding?

So this happened when I was leaving "Silver Tower" after a late night bite. The spots were not the biggest but me and my friend got in without touching the cars next to us. Started the car and saw the driver and his girl approaching the car next to mine. Instead of waiting the 2 seconds for me to pull out of spot the driver decided to just walked towards the driver's side door and opened the door. HE BANGED THE DOOR ON MY CAR so hard I can feel/heard a thump!!! So I rolled down the window and gave him a WTF look and he's like "What?" WITH HIS FREAKING DOOR STILL TOUCHING THE SIDE OF MY CAR!!! Then he just closed the door like nothing happened.

Now my question would be...what can I do legally? I have his plate number, I witnessed the actual incident, and now I have a door ding. Can I pursue this with ICBC or file a police report? This is not about the money or the tiny bit of damage on the car. It's just the action and attitude of other driver that got me so furious. As car enthusiasts I'm sure you all understand the situation here.

(The plate number is 991 RKB and it's a dark colored Infiniti M35/45 and the driver is a young asian male. If anyone know this person can you talk some sense into him? (or do whatever you would do as if you got a door ding from him) Mods feel free to remove this if it's inappropriate for these information to be here.)
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

1. One action is to claim as hit and run.. but then you'd be out the deductible. Probably better if you shell out the money for dent repair instead.

2. Park in spots far away.

3. Park beside nice cars (usually lower chance of them dinging).

4. Don't go to Richmond.
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
don't go richmond

should've got out the car and inspected right away

just claim it as hit and run and get a witness... just say the driver just left even you told him not too then he'll be at fault

i really want to fuck up some richmond cockfags
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

When things like this happen, always handle it before the other guy get's a chance to escape. Example: stop his car and ask him to step outside and look at what he's done. Even if he doesn't comply, at least give him a hard time for a few minutes, embarrass the guy because no matter how tough his ego is if he's with a chick, he ain't getting laid on a night that ends like that.
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i would have gotten out and kicked his car!

chances are theres going to be no damage on that guys car, but if your lucky enough and there is, give ICBC the plate number, they will probably contact the and inspect the car.... but chances are slim. should have gotten out of the car and talk to the guy while your friend records the convo on his phone, then you have proof..

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 02-14-2011 at 03:22 AM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,466 Times in 190 Posts
Instead of giving him a wtf look, I would've at least spoke up
FRStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I'm agree with all of the above.

If we were in the states and it was inside your personal garage and they were still a stranger then I'm pretty sure you could have shot them.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
If we were in the states and it was inside your personal garage and they were still a stranger then I'm pretty sure you could have shot them.

How does this have any relivance to OP's scenario?

MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Pull out your phone and take a picture.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post
When things like this happen, always handle it before the other guy get's a chance to escape. Example: stop his car and ask him to step outside and look at what he's done. Even if he doesn't comply, at least give him a hard time for a few minutes, embarrass the guy because no matter how tough his ego is if he's with a chick, he ain't getting laid on a night that ends like that.
win
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Open your door and ding his car back.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledog View Post
So this happened when I was leaving "Silver Tower" after a late night bite. The spots were not the biggest but me and my friend got in without touching the cars next to us. Started the car and saw the driver and his girl approaching the car next to mine. Instead of waiting the 2 seconds for me to pull out of spot the driver decided to just walked towards the driver's side door and opened the door. HE BANGED THE DOOR ON MY CAR so hard I can feel/heard a thump!!! So I rolled down the window and gave him a WTF look and he's like "What?" WITH HIS FREAKING DOOR STILL TOUCHING THE SIDE OF MY CAR!!! Then he just closed the door like nothing happened.

Now my question would be...what can I do legally? I have his plate number, I witnessed the actual incident, and now I have a door ding. Can I pursue this with ICBC or file a police report? This is not about the money or the tiny bit of damage on the car. It's just the action and attitude of other driver that got me so furious. As car enthusiasts I'm sure you all understand the situation here.

(The plate number is 991 RKB and it's a dark colored Infiniti M35/45 and the driver is a young asian male. If anyone know this person can you talk some sense into him? (or do whatever you would do as if you got a door ding from him) Mods feel free to remove this if it's inappropriate for these information to be here.)
If you were to back out and the guys door makes a huge scratch, who would be at fault???

I know its the worst scenario since you would never want that much damage, but I was just curious. I mean was it obvious that the guy saw you in your car getting ready to leave? I mean anytime I see someone leaving next to my car I just wait until they back out and then get in my car. how hard is it to wait 10 sec, I mean it is richmond so you would have to wait the full minute but you get my point.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
should have got out of the car holding your neck in pain and asked to exchange info

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
If there is damage to your car, and you claim hit and run, you will not pay the deductible if:

1) you have the license plate of the person who hit you
2) ICBC brings in their car and it's clear that they probably caused the damage (i.e. door lines up with your damage, there's silver paint on your door and his car is also silver, etc.)
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If there is damage to your car, and you claim hit and run, you will not pay the deductible if:

2) ICBC brings in their car and it's clear that they probably caused the damage (i.e. door lines up with your damage, there's silver paint on your door and his car is also silver, etc.)
Gimby is correct.

You will not be out of deductible, and since you have his plate number, you can indeed file a claim. If he admits to ICBC of the damage, then you wont have to pay a dime, otherwise they may need to look at both cars.
CKLCKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #16
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:

This.

Go report it... the guy needs to be taught a lesson because he obviously thinks there's nothing wrong with slamming his car door into other people's cars.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Had this happen to me and also my dad as well. These people just open their doors without ever thinking that it leave a mark. In this case the Dbag left a scratch on a brand new S5.......
DemonsBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:

good shit, thanks for that info.

this just happened to me the day before at save-on! luckily it wasn't my car, but still, wtf!
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I mean was it obvious that the guy saw you in your car getting ready to leave? I mean anytime I see someone leaving next to my car I just wait until they back out and then get in my car. how hard is it to wait 10 sec, I mean it is richmond so you would have to wait the full minute but you get my point.
He means.
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:

a similar incident happened to me. if there are no witnesses (but its different in ure scenario), u know the license plate and car involved, and the person does not admit fault, u lose if ure in court; hence, u have to pay the deductible if u want it fixed...just remember karma
ThunderDRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I know it wasnt the proper thing to do, but I started with good intentions. Lady opened her door right into my car, no attempt to not hit my car. I said something to her along the lines of I hope there isnt any damage to my car. She told me "it wouldnt matter if even if there was because your car is a peice of shit" I unlatched my passenger door, laid sideways across my front seats and kicked my door into the ladies car and told her "Good thing that doesnt matter becasue my cars a peice of shit" backed out of the spot and went about my day
Old 02-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #22
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
its all legal until someone see's something.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #23
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearshifter View Post

3. Park beside nice cars (usually lower chance of them dinging).
funny story but ot:

i was early for school up at sfu and i pull into the visitor lot above b-lot and see there is an audi r8 v-10 in the lot. its parked near the ticket booth. i'm way early so i decide to park next to it and wait 20 mins while playing on my phone before buying a ticket. 10 mins later the owner gets to his car (young asian dude) he's backed in i'm pulled in front first. he opens his door and SMASHES his door into the step bar of my f150. i actually lol'ed got out and there was nothing on my truck but there was for sure something on his car. i left a tone of space and he would have been fine had he not thrown the door open.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhall View Post
I know it wasnt the proper thing to do, but I started with good intentions. Lady opened her door right into my car, no attempt to not hit my car. I said something to her along the lines of I hope there isnt any damage to my car. She told me "it wouldnt matter if even if there was because your car is a peice of shit" I unlatched my passenger door, laid sideways across my front seats and kicked my door into the ladies car and told her "Good thing that doesnt matter becasue my cars a peice of shit" backed out of the spot and went about my day
I LoL'ed.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
funny story but ot:

i was early for school up at sfu and i pull into the visitor lot above b-lot and see there is an audi r8 v-10 in the lot. its parked near the ticket booth. i'm way early so i decide to park next to it and wait 20 mins while playing on my phone before buying a ticket. 10 mins later the owner gets to his car (young asian dude) he's backed in i'm pulled in front first. he opens his door and SMASHES his door into the step bar of my f150. i actually lol'ed got out and there was nothing on my truck but there was for sure something on his car. i left a tone of space and he would have been fine had he not thrown the door open.
Maybe he was mad that you parked next to him
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote