REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Healthiest cooking oil? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/639046-healthiest-cooking-oil.html)

Amuse 03-02-2011 09:07 AM

Healthiest cooking oil?

Recent studies show coconut oil, which contains lots of saturated fats, is one of the healthiest cooking oils because when heated, it will not create a toxic compound. It is said to also help heal your body. However, in the past, they say it was an unhealthy cooking oil. Same as palm oil.

So what are your views on this and other cooking oils and which are the healthiest cooking oils?

TheNewGirl 03-02-2011 11:28 AM

Repeat after me "Fat is not bad, fat is not bad, fat is not bad" until it sticks.

Our whole paradigm towards food for the last 40 years has been 'OMG if it has fat in it it's the root of all evil!' this is so the furthest thing from the truth. Many naturally derived fats are vital to our health and well being.

I love coconut oil (and coconut in general), and palm oil. I also use a lot of peanut oil as well and stay the hell away from corn based oils when ever possible.

InvisibleSoul 03-02-2011 11:55 AM

http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...les/36952.aspx

Quote:

Which is the Best Cooking Oil for Health?

Today everyone seems to be getting healthy and going green. Unfortunately, if you are new to this lifestyle this will require research. A great proportion of what we consume is cooked with oil in some way, shape, or form. The words diet or healthy and oil do not coincide well, at least that is what we have all been taught. Amazingly, there are plenty of oils that are in fact good for you. There are numerous oils that contain lower amounts of saturated fats and higher amounts of unsaturated fats, which the body needs.

1. Olive Oil

Olive oil has the greatest amount of unsaturated fats known. This is a natural oil that preserves the taste, aroma, properties and vitamins of the olive fruit. Unlike all others, olive oil can be consumed freshly pressed. Studies show that olive oil is beneficial to assist those suffering from ulcers, gastritis, heart disease, and high cholesterol. Olive oil is best used for Italian breads, salad dressings, and marinades. A tablespoon of olive oil contains 14% saturated fat, 12% poly unsaturated fat, and 74% mono unsaturated fats.

2. Canola Oil

Canola oil, contrary to what you have heard, is also good for you. Made from the crushed seeds of the canola plant, this oil is an excellent source of the omega-6 fatty acid, linoleic acid, which the body can not produce. Canola oil is known to protect the heart by its effect on blood pressure, cholesterol, and inflammation. The light flavor and smooth texture is perfect for sautéing, grilling, stir-frying, baking as well as salad dressings, sauces, and marinades. A tablespoon of canola oil contains 7% saturated fat, 35% poly unsaturated fat, and 58% mono unsaturated fats.

3. Peanut Oil

Peanut oil also has its health benefits; as suggested by its name, it is made from peanuts. Nutritionally speaking, this is not the best oil, yet it is a popular choice. People with health issues relating to trans fats and saturated fats benefit from utilizing this oil. With its high smoke temperature, peanut oil is ideal for frying and deep frying foods. A tablespoon of peanut oil contains 18% saturated fat, 33% poly unsaturated fat, and 49% mono unsaturated fats.

4. Rice Bran Oil

Rice bran oil is considered one of the world's healthiest oils. This oil is made from the most important crop in the world, rice which is a common food in all countries. Lowering cholesterol, fighting diseases, and fighting free radicals are just some of rice bran oils health benefits. The extremely light and versatile oil is perfect for frying, sautéing, salad dressings, dipping sauces, and baking. A tablespoon of rice bran oil contains 20% saturated fat, 33% poly unsaturated fat, and 47% mono unsaturated fats.

5. Sesame Oil

Sesame oil is popular in in Asia. This healthy oil comes in a variety of colors resulting from the numerous ways the seed is processed to make the oil. Packed with an outstanding amount of vitamins and minerals, sesame oil is known to lower cholesterol and lower the risks of heart disease. This oil is mainly used in stir-fries because of its short shelf life and low smoke temperature. A tablespoon of sesame oil contains 15% saturated fat, 43% poly unsaturated fat, and 42% mono unsaturated fats.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...#ixzz1FTgoe1zy

cho 03-02-2011 12:02 PM

extra virgin olive oil is the "best"

damn some of the really good stuff goes for like 50 dollars for 100ml

xxxrsxxx 03-02-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7325964)
Repeat after me "Fat is not bad, fat is not bad, fat is not bad" until it sticks.

Our whole paradigm towards food for the last 40 years has been 'OMG if it has fat in it it's the root of all evil!' this is so the furthest thing from the truth. Many naturally derived fats are vital to our health and well being.

I love coconut oil (and coconut in general), and palm oil. I also use a lot of peanut oil as well and stay the hell away from corn based oils when ever possible.

can you elaborate on corn oil? Why isn't it good? It's the one I've been using and recommended as the "healthier" one.

Amuse 03-02-2011 09:30 PM

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-you...ny-on-fats.htm

Nocardia 03-02-2011 09:52 PM

Its funny that you post this topic, I just had a conversation today with a dietitian about this very topic

Basically any plant oil is better than an animal based oil. Olive oil is great but it has a low smoking point so its harder to cook with while things like canola oil smoke much less.

Interestingly coconut oil is one of the "unhealthiest" when you look at the saturated fat content but much like any oil, there is research that shows it has benefits as well.

In the end they noted that any liquid oils are going to be better than margarine/butter/lard, and as long as you use in moderation you should be great!

**Of note: All the plant oils that note "Cholesterol free" are just a marketing ploy because cholesterol only comes from animal by-products

Amuse 03-02-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx (Post 7325996)
can you elaborate on corn oil? Why isn't it good? It's the one I've been using and recommended as the "healthier" one.

I've heard that corn oil has 60 times more omega 6 than omega 3 fatty acids, while the recommended dietary intake of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids is between 1:1 and 4:1.

sonick 03-03-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7325964)

I follow this school of thought as well, any kind of heavily processed vegetable oil such as corn, canola, etc. I feel should be avoided.

kalekain 03-03-2011 09:11 AM

olive oil breaks down at high temps, so it's not good for frying. It's best to be just used for dressing. Grape seed oil however is great for cooking at high temps.

kalekain 03-03-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocardia (Post 7326730)
Interestingly coconut oil is one of the "unhealthiest" when you look at the saturated fat content but much like any oil, there is research that shows it has benefits as well.

In the end they noted that any liquid oils are going to be better than margarine/butter/lard, and as long as you use in moderation you should be great!

**Of note: All the plant oils that note "Cholesterol free" are just a marketing ploy because cholesterol only comes from animal by-products

The ssaturated fat in coconut oil has a slightly different genetic makeup, so your body breaks it down differently.

lowside67 03-03-2011 09:28 AM

I have a few oils in my kitchen depending on their intended use.

High quality extra virgin olive oil ($$$) - for use finishing vegetables, on salads, a drizzle in some types of soup, etc. - typically no heat whatsoever.

Decent Olive Oil ($$) - for lower temperature stove top cooking such as sweating vegetables for a soup, etc. Not suitable for virtually any meat use whatsoever as the low smoking point will burn the oil before you get to the type of temperatures that can nicely sear meat. (Note, this is olive oil, NOT evoo).

Blended Oil - 50/50 mix canola oil, sunflower oil ($) - cheap to make, very little flavour of its own, good high smoke point, ultra cheap. This is what I use for meats and other high temperature frying.

Mark

Great68 03-03-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7325989)
http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet...les/36952.aspx
2. Canola Oil

Canola oil, contrary to what you have heard, is also good for you. Made from the crushed seeds of the canola plant,.

I have issue with this one.

There is no fucking such thing as a "Canola" plant.

Canola oil is made from a cultivar of the Rapeseed plant.

The word "Canola" stands for "Canada oil, Low Acid".

The thing that bugs me about canola oil is that regular rapeseed oil is toxic to humans (High Erucic acid content). They had to breed out a variety that was low enough in Eruicic acid that it was fit for human consumption.

TheNewGirl 03-03-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 7326737)
I've heard that corn oil has 60 times more omega 6 than omega 3 fatty acids, while the recommended dietary intake of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids is between 1:1 and 4:1.

Corn in general has wonky ratios for everything (fructose to sucrose sugars which has some messed up effects on your body as well, fatty acids, everything). It's also HIGHLY processed. I try and avoid corn oils and corn syrups when ever possible.

I should also come around to the fat is not bad mantra again. BUTTER is not bad for you. In fact I would rather someone fries my food in butter or lard than corn oil.

sonick 03-03-2011 11:48 AM

DaFonz 03-03-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7325992)
extra virgin olive oil is the "best"

damn some of the really good stuff goes for like 50 dollars for 100ml

No it's not. You're also wasting your money if you fry with extra virgin olive oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocardia (Post 7326730)
Its funny that you post this topic, I just had a conversation today with a dietitian about this very topic

Basically any plant oil is better than an animal based oil. Olive oil is great but it has a low smoking point so its harder to cook with while things like canola oil smoke much less.

No, any plant oil is not better than an animal oil. I would much rather fry something in lard than in canola oil for example.

Canola oil for example is GARBAGE. The amount of lobbying done to get it into our food supply is ridiculous. Rapeseed oil is not good for you and neither is margarine!

Listen to TheNewGirl, she knows what she's talking about.

Amuse 03-03-2011 12:23 PM

Corn oil and canola oil is what I use in the house. Need to do some research and change oils. Those two are the most common ones at Superstore with a relatively cheap price.

What's an alternative to corn and canola (for everyday cooking on the pan, so no olive oil) that is easy to find/buy at places like Superstore?

TheNewGirl 03-03-2011 12:54 PM

We went back to using Butter instead of Margarine last year too. Not that we use much of either, I got out of the habit of slapping margarine/butter on every bread product I eat years ago.

But there's nothing better then mushrooms and onion fried up in butter.

You can cook with an olive oil blend (usually 50/50 with sunflower or canola) for "every day cooking". Keep in mind every day cooking shouldn't = 'cooking with garbage', in fact I think it's more important to use good quality ingredients in the food that you eat 'every day' rather then just as a treat now and then.

I don't know too much about Canola so I don't have any particular stance on that debate. I haven't seen a full nutritional break down on it but there is a lot more to it than just the issue of saturated fat and/or cholesterol, in fact, unless you have specific health issues, those are the least important factors. In my opinion, how your body processes the food is far more important.

And stay the hell away from corn products.

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 03-03-2011 02:40 PM

After cooking up a pack of bacon I store the grease in the fridge and use it for anything I'd need oil for. :D

I also no longer use margarine. I'll use butter instead. Look at how many ingredients are in margarine, a highly processed, manufactured product. Then look at how many ingredients are in butter. I don't have any specific links either, but one big factor that made me re-think what I consider healthy, and what companies/non-profits/dieticians tell you are healthy, is if so much of the "conventionally promoted diet" (ie. canada food guide) is so good for everyone, and products like margarine, crisco, are much better for you than butter and lard, why are there so many sick people these days? That triggered me do my own research on the whole "animal fats are bad, all saturated fats are bad, eating a diet full of grains is good for you, don't eat meat, blah blah blah"

DaFonz 03-03-2011 03:52 PM

http://www.dcnutrition.com/news/Deta...cordNumber=639

Great68 03-03-2011 04:00 PM

To answer the original question, I keep Extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil and butter in my house.

Olive oil for cold things (Dressings, dips), the occasional sautee or in sauces etc
Grapeseed for my general purpose fry
Butter, because sometimes butter just tastes better.

I wouldn't touch margerine with a 10 foot pole, I don't think I've ever bought any since I've moved out on my own. It's not so much that I think it's bad for me, I just think it tastes like shit.

I'd use more coconut oil if it were cheaper and more readily available.

unit 03-03-2011 04:32 PM

margerine isnt even food. i hate the taste its like the most synthetic tasting thing and it just coats your mouth.

"i cant believe its not butter? i can"
-anthony bourdain

i use extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed, and sunflower oil. i have canola too which i use to saute but i use it sparingly. i also hate the smell it has when u fry in it. i could probably use grapeseed in its place. i never cook with olive oil unless its an italian recipe to keep the taste traditional. cooking with olive oil destroys the taste and even trained palettes cant distinguish quality once its been heated. for french recipes i use butter whenever possible. i sometimes find myself cooking with ghee as well (clarified butter). it doesnt have as high a smoke point as olive oil, but much higher than regular butter.

Oleophobic 03-07-2011 06:05 PM

where do you guys buy coconut oil?

I went to superstore earlier today, couldn't find it in the oriental foods aisle. Went to the organic section and did find an empty shelf with the label "coconut oil " for $15.99.
no idea what it looks like because it was sold out.

Then I went to walmart because it's close to superstore (grandview hwy) and they don't have it either.

fuck why is coconut oil so hard to find.

Great68 03-09-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.T (Post 7332968)
where do you guys buy coconut oil?

I went to superstore earlier today, couldn't find it in the oriental foods aisle. Went to the organic section and did find an empty shelf with the label "coconut oil " for $15.99.
no idea what it looks like because it was sold out.

Then I went to walmart because it's close to superstore (grandview hwy) and they don't have it either.

fuck why is coconut oil so hard to find.

Most health food stores sell it. It comes in a tub, because it's solid at room temperature.

unit 03-10-2011 12:25 PM

you can get it almost anywhere now not just health food stores.
superstore and walmart dont carry it because they dont sell anything remotely specialty.
you can however get it at save on foods, famous foods, choices, etc...