REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Illegal to carry pepper spray in car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/639220-illegal-carry-pepper-spray-car.html)

cs_729 03-04-2011 12:05 PM

Illegal to carry pepper spray in car?

I just had a question. I found some dog repellent spray while cleaning out my garage, just wondering if it's legal to carry in a glove compartment of a car? I would think so as it's not deadly in anyway (spicy as hell though! lol)

Amaru 03-04-2011 08:54 PM

Several years ago, I had a bottle of pepper spray in my glove compartment, and was pulled over by police for speeding (wasn't given a ticket though :)).

When I reached into the glove box to pull out my car insurance, one of the officers noticed the aerosol can and asked if it was pepper spray. I said yes, and handed it to him. He asked if I was a "registered mail carrier," which I certainly am not. He explained that pepper spray is considered a weapon and is illegal, confiscated the bottle, and gave me a verbal warning not to possess it again.

In summary, I assume possession of pepper spray/mace is illegal unless you're a mailman. I'm not entirely certain whether *all* types of pepper spray are forbidden, as they come in different strengths and have different purposes. Bear spray, for example, is legal to own as far as I know. Still, I'd be very careful before buying or carrying pepper spray or dog spray... at the very least, keep the can somewhere much more inconspicuous than your glove compartment.

BorLorBao 03-04-2011 09:00 PM

^ hmm i carry one in the car just in case... one time i had a guy just come up to the car window and punched it. I guess it also serves as a protection for when I walk to the car late at night.

BrRsn 03-04-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorLorBao (Post 7329495)
^ hmm i carry one in the car just in case... one time i had a guy just come up to the car window and punched it. I guess it also serves as a protection for when I walk to the car late at night.

Please tell me you're a girl?

you guys need to stop watching so much tv. Bad things happen, but if someone wants to attack you a spicy propellant isn't going to stop them. If anything, its a false sense of security unless you constantly walk around with your thumb over the trigger waiting for something to happen. If you really want to protect yourself, go join a MMA gym or a karate class or something.

johny 03-04-2011 09:54 PM

if you carry it for people it's a weapon... if you carry it for dogs it's legal...

so, carry it for dogs.

FerrariEnzo 03-05-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 7329546)
if you carry it for people it's a weapon... if you carry it for dogs it's legal...

so, carry it for dogs.

so your gona bring your dog with you when you go bang bang with your women??

ninjatune 03-05-2011 10:33 AM

Dog repellant and bear repellant are legal to purchase and possess in BC. If it's in your car and you're off to the dog park or a local trail for a walk then you most likely won't be hassled. For bear spray, if it's in your car and you're off to a camping/hiking trip - or live somewhere where bears can be a problem (IE, not in the city) then you also probably won't have a problem.

If there's any reason to believe that your possession of either type could be for a dangerous purpose, it becomes a weapon and is against the law (CCC - Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose).

If it's in a vehicle and within reach of the driver I normally seize it. If you're walking down the street with bear spray in a pocket you're potentially looking at charges/and or being hassled.

lowside67 03-05-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7329758)
so your gona bring your dog with you when you go bang bang with your women??

God I wish I could fail you.