REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
I don't get it

Illegal to carry pepper spray in car?

I just had a question. I found some dog repellent spray while cleaning out my garage, just wondering if it's legal to carry in a glove compartment of a car? I would think so as it's not deadly in anyway (spicy as hell though! lol)
Advertisement

1993 Audi S4- minty
cs_729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Several years ago, I had a bottle of pepper spray in my glove compartment, and was pulled over by police for speeding (wasn't given a ticket though ).

When I reached into the glove box to pull out my car insurance, one of the officers noticed the aerosol can and asked if it was pepper spray. I said yes, and handed it to him. He asked if I was a "registered mail carrier," which I certainly am not. He explained that pepper spray is considered a weapon and is illegal, confiscated the bottle, and gave me a verbal warning not to possess it again.

In summary, I assume possession of pepper spray/mace is illegal unless you're a mailman. I'm not entirely certain whether *all* types of pepper spray are forbidden, as they come in different strengths and have different purposes. Bear spray, for example, is legal to own as far as I know. Still, I'd be very careful before buying or carrying pepper spray or dog spray... at the very least, keep the can somewhere much more inconspicuous than your glove compartment.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

^ hmm i carry one in the car just in case... one time i had a guy just come up to the car window and punched it. I guess it also serves as a protection for when I walk to the car late at night.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorLorBao View Post
^ hmm i carry one in the car just in case... one time i had a guy just come up to the car window and punched it. I guess it also serves as a protection for when I walk to the car late at night.
Please tell me you're a girl?

you guys need to stop watching so much tv. Bad things happen, but if someone wants to attack you a spicy propellant isn't going to stop them. If anything, its a false sense of security unless you constantly walk around with your thumb over the trigger waiting for something to happen. If you really want to protect yourself, go join a MMA gym or a karate class or something.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

if you carry it for people it's a weapon... if you carry it for dogs it's legal...

so, carry it for dogs.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
if you carry it for people it's a weapon... if you carry it for dogs it's legal...

so, carry it for dogs.
so your gona bring your dog with you when you go bang bang with your women??
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Dog repellant and bear repellant are legal to purchase and possess in BC. If it's in your car and you're off to the dog park or a local trail for a walk then you most likely won't be hassled. For bear spray, if it's in your car and you're off to a camping/hiking trip - or live somewhere where bears can be a problem (IE, not in the city) then you also probably won't have a problem.

If there's any reason to believe that your possession of either type could be for a dangerous purpose, it becomes a weapon and is against the law (CCC - Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose).

If it's in a vehicle and within reach of the driver I normally seize it. If you're walking down the street with bear spray in a pocket you're potentially looking at charges/and or being hassled.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Old School RS

Thanked 3,949 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
so your gona bring your dog with you when you go bang bang with your women??
God I wish I could fail you.