REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,782 Posts
Now civil forfeiture of vehicles for chronic drunk drivers

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Vi...483/story.html

Quote:
Victoria police seize vehicles of two prolific drunk drivers By KATIE DeROSA, Timescolonist.com May 4, 2011

Victoria police have used B.C.'s Civil Forfeiture Act to seize the vehicles of two prolific drunk drivers, a first in the province.

The legislation is typically used to seize proceeds of crime, such as cars or houses bought with drug money, but the department says its move sets a precedent that people who habitually drink and drive could lose their vehicles.

Steven Henry, a 30-year-old Victoria man, had his 1993 Honda Accord seized after being charged and convicted with impaired driving twice in less than two weeks in April last year, police spokesman Const. Mike Russell said.

Henry was also convicted of impaired driving for an incident last July. The Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles revoked his licence for 10 months.

Police also seized the 1996 Chevrolet Suburban belonging to 63-year-old Saanich resident Anthony Raymond. Raymond was convicted of impaired driving after an incident on November 25, 2009, in which several motorists called 911 about his erratic driving. It happened just two weeks after he was arrested by Saanich police for driving dangerously on the Pat Bay highway.

Raymond had a blood-alcohol level that was three times the legal limit.

Solicitor General Shirley Bond applauded the move, which could set precedents for other police departments.

"It is clear that some drivers refuse to get the message that drinking and driving is against the law," Bond said in a statement. "That's one of the reasons why we have separate, civil forfeiture legislation that specifically targets vehicles and other property used in a way that endangers life and limb."

Police chief Jamie Graham said in a statement that the measure, along with the new immediate roadside prohibition legislation, sends the message that B.C. does not tolerate impaired driving.

Russell said while there is nothing to prevent these drivers from buying another car, "it sends a message that if you continue to do this, we'll continue to take your vehicle."

The tactic will be used to immobilize "those long-term offenders with horrendous driving records," Russell said.

In June, 2009, the province launched proceedings to seize a house under the Civil Forfeiture Act, after Victoria police became frustrated at their repeated calls there regarding drugs and prostitution. That file, which is continuing, was the first time the province had tried to seize a house under the Act.

kderosa@timescolonist.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

This should have been instated a fucking longtime ago.....instead of the excessive speeding.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I am 100% behind this, about fucking time. It should come with a ban on owning another vehicle too.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

What bothers me is that when the Civil forfeiture act was introduced its intent was to target the proceeds of organized crime.

Obviously now it's stretching beyond it's original target, showing that the law was written with such a broad scope that it seems like it can be applied in ANY instance as the police please. The worst thing is that there doesn't even need to be a criminal charge to apply it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #5

Great, I see your point. Though personally my issue with that is more about drunk driving convictions lacking due process, rather then cars being taken away from drunk drivers.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Civil forfeiture law is written broadly enough that they can seize your vehicle even if you're a first time offender and just blow over.

This is how it starts: Have the media publicize they are going after the worst offenders to gain community support, then apply it to less serious offenders.

Take the example of the media publicity of 2 street racers in a Ferrari and M6 who had their car seized while racing during the day on a road with light traffic. Now we have a member here who is having his car seized for speeding excessively in the middle of the night on a hwy, where the risk to the public was very small.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i'm glad this shit is happening now, i haven't been affected by a drunk driver, and i hope that i never do.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
It should come with a ban on owning another vehicle too.
That i dont agree with, if you lose your license for a year why shouldnt you be able to buy a car and restore or mod it so you can drive it in a year
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Civil forfeiture law is written broadly enough that they can seize your vehicle even if you're a first time offender and just blow over.
That, combined with the fact that civil forfeiture is considered a civil matter so the onus requirements are much lower. It's all so bullshit, so open to abuse.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Im sure you would see a lot less drunk drivers if cabs weren't so fucking expensive..........
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
yup thats for sure, whos got $50 bucks to blow everytime from cabbing downtown
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahai69 View Post
Im sure you would see a lot less drunk drivers if cabs weren't so fucking expensive..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
yup thats for sure, whos got $50 bucks to blow everytime from cabbing downtown
This just sounds more like poor planning than anything else.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
^ and imagine how many people dont plan well.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
yeah those shit bag's deserve their vehicle being taken way for drunk drinking but knowing those fuck's they would probably buy a Beater Car off craigslist for 1k & do it again in their retarded brain..

they should Take their driving license away,but either way they might just drive without one since some drunk people are Retarded

another thing i can say is the Police could be profiting from this too,the government will most likely Put the the Automobiles up for Auction..
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 AM   #15
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Take the example of the media publicity of 2 street racers in a Ferrari and M6 who had their car seized while racing during the day on a road with light traffic. Now we have a member here who is having his car seized for speeding excessively in the middle of the night on a hwy, where the risk to the public was very small.
In the street race, one of those two cars was going to be seized sooner or later, regardless of speeding/racing. The police took advantage of the situation by trumping it up as a street racing seizure when there was far more involved.

The guy on RS who got his car seized was slammed by RS members for refusing to give information when asked questions about what really happened. He has since disappeared.

If you're going to debate this issue, you should pick cases where you actually know what's going on, and not bits and pieces. Perhaps an actual court case where all the evidence (which would be public information) would be available.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
That i dont agree with, if you lose your license for a year why shouldnt you be able to buy a car and restore or mod it so you can drive it in a year
Because I feel that someone with such poor impulse control that they drink and drive, is more likely to ignore their suspension and drive any way.

So I feel that if someone fucks up to the extreme that they get their car taken away, they should be banned from purchasing another vehicle until such time as their license is reinstated.

------------------

As for cheap cabs there ARE alternatives. Most bars have safe ride programs, there's transit (how late does the skytrain run now?) Or transit + cabs, there's designated drivers. There's LOTS of options that will get you home safely.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #17

There's one very good side to this people are missing.

There are a lot of lawyers (and even ex policeman) who specialize in helping those charged with drunk driving beat the charge. This is simply because there's a market for it (just like there's a market for injury claim lawyers).

Now that civil forfeiture has been attached to drunk driving those same lawyers will now also be challenging forfeiture along with cases of drunk driving. Which means civil forfeiture will now receive a lot of attention in court, where previously it hadn't. All we have to do is sit and wait for the first big case, and given the number of drunks on the road I see this being challenged very soon.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post

The guy on RS who got his car seized was slammed by RS members for refusing to give information when asked questions about what really happened. He has since disappeared.

If you're going to debate this issue, you should pick cases where you actually know what's going on, and not bits and pieces. Perhaps an actual court case where all the evidence (which would be public information) would be available.
Regardless, I don't see it as legitimate that the government seizes private property over potential harm to society. Go ahead and seize property to compensate REAL victims if ACTUAL harm has been committed.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Regardless, I don't see it as legitimate that the government seizes private property over potential harm to society. Go ahead and seize property to compensate REAL victims if ACTUAL harm has been committed.
But you feel it's OK to slam a law because it has potential for abuse.

When someone loses their car for something as simple as speeding, then I'll be screaming that it's unfair as well. Until then I have no problems waiting to see the numbers and types of cases this gets applied to.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
they should Take their driving license away,but either way they might just drive without one since some drunk people are Retarded
License bans don't work, people drive anyways cause the risk of being caught is so low - what are they going to do? take your license away again?

I like the idea of taking their car for multiple drunk driving convictions, yet lets write it in stone: caught 3 times, your car is gone.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Government is there to provide safety to society, they should be eliminating potential harms. Your problem is that potential is loosely worded and open to abuse - yet from the examples so far I think the law is being applied very well with no abuse.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
But you feel it's OK to slam a law because it has potential for abuse.

When someone loses their car for something as simple as speeding, then I'll be screaming that it's unfair as well. Until then I have no problems waiting to see the numbers and types of cases this gets applied to.
The law doesn't have a "potential" for abuse. It is being abused. It started out as a law to seize the illicit property of drug dealers who used the property to break criminal law and created actual harm to society. They are now applying this to people who break civil laws that aren't serious enough to be considered by the criminal court system and have questionable harm to society.

Even if a law is written poorly, as this one is, we depend on the checks and balances in our justice system. Someone charged with an offence by the police is presumed innocent until convicted by a court or jury of his peers. In the case of civil forfeiture, the forfeiture can occur even without being charged with a crime. The checks and balances written into the law are carried out by the same department that enforces it, which is a conflict of interest.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #23
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Gotta agree with Marco.

Soon, i'm not gonna be able to do anything without losing something that "supposedly" belongs to me.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Government is there to provide safety to society, they should be eliminating potential harms. Your problem is that potential is loosely worded and open to abuse - yet from the examples so far I think the law is being applied very well with no abuse.
A lot of German citizens said that when laws were written to confiscate property from the Jews too.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

That's some straight up national socialism.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote