REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #51
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahai69 View Post
Maybe I should have stated this guy is a truck driver and drives for a living. Looking at loosing a lot more money than someone sitting behind a desk 8hours a day
Posted via RS Mobile
And, what... he should receive more sympathy for his stupidity because of this?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Nah I could really care less if he looses his liscense or not. I was just pointing out an instance of some guy fighting these types of laws.
Posted via RS Mobile
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #53
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Hmmm, like illegal firearms?

Yeah, we better put an end to the seizure of illegal firearms too, even if they have't been used to cut up a crowded McDonalds yet.
How is the analogy even comparable? You aren't allowed to possess firearms without a license, so of course the government is well within its rights to seize illegal firearms.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #54
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Did you not read my previous post? Here, I've quoted it again for you. You're using examples where there's far more to the story, and then using that partial information to base judgement?
You're not reading my response. I don't think there's ANY circumstance where the govt can go in and seize a private vehicle before there is any proof of actual damage caused.

I don't disagree with the concept of civil damages. If the government/individual sues another individual in civil court for damages, and the court awards a monetary sum, the defendant should be required to pay this amount through traditional methods (cash, garnishing of wages, sale of assets etc). If the defendant does not pay the judgement, then the govt can come in to seize and liquidate an asset. Civil courts award damages for actual damages, not potential damages. Furthermore, they compensate real victims, not people (govt) that sues on behalf of "society."

Protecting society from aggressive drivers who have the *potential* to cause harm is in the scope of the MVA with its listed laws, regs and penalties
You haven't answered how it is fair that the same offense results in different penalties depending whether I was driving a Ferrari or a Civic?

Quote:

There's a reason the Ferrari and M6 owners settled.
Again, the evidence is clear that the drivers in those examples did not get into any accidents, thus there is no "damages" that should be awarded to anyone. The scope of the MVA is to spell out the laws and penalties for traffic offenses.

Last edited by Marco911; 05-08-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote