REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I'd be really interested in seeing some data of crashes from water/dirt/mud/ "debris" coming off the wall (no threading) from stretched tires that poke past the fenders and hit the cars behind them.
I'm all about promoting safe driving and safe cars, but some of the previsions that are set up by the government are ridiculous. side markers for example. A lot of manufactures do not even put them on the sides of their cars (ford crown vics), but god forbid you tint yours... You'll get a VI...

How about more inforcement on commercial vehicles and taxi cabs... There's more in that.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #27
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As far as debris taking out windshield goes...5 times I have had rocks thrown at my windshield by passing vehicles...or ones that I haver followed. 3 times in PCs. I was fortunate enough that I was able to have the glue injected into the chips in my personal vehicles at my expense, but the PCs had to have the windshield replaced at taxpayer expense. I'm sure many here have had similar rock encounters. It sucks having to pay the $200 deductable to replace one.

I'm not sure which Crown Vics you mean but as you can see in this picture, there is a huge orange one in the front headlight enclosure and the rear tail light wrap around covers that area legally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:98...n_Victoria.jpg
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #28

Were any of the cars that dinged your car lowered with wheels poking out? Or were just regular cars on the road?

If you read my post, I said sidemarkers in the bumpers. I have no problem with them being in the head/tail lights.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #29
RS Peace Officer

When you are in a line of traffic and a rock suddenly lands on your windshield it is difficult to say where it came from. A couple of times I knew where it came from and it was a pickup becaause there were no other vehicles around. When you are reacting to a rock hit in front of you the last thing you are doing is trying to see where it came from.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
[QUOTE=taylor192;7538464]This is done so often its not worth berating people over.

My summer rear wheels rub at full compression, so there's rub marks way up in the wheel well behind the tire. I know it won't pass a VI, yet the rub is so minor and so far up and back I'm not worried about an officer seeing it roadside.

The problem the OP has is that the tires stick out past the fender, probably as part of the "stance" trend right now. That's not minor like my rub, that's pretty blatant to see and thus the VI. OP you need rims with a smaller offset, otherwise I can see you getting another VI in the near future.[/QUOTE
]

[B]Not to berate you, but I can't understand how any driver would not be concerned about the fact that a tyre is rubbing on the body. In my experience, tyres that rub on a car body can jam, overheat and fail. Up until this post,, my post have not been directed at you, they have been in response to questions from Goneguru. If he complains that my responses to his questions made him feel berated, then I will apologize to him in advance.[/B]

I appreciate your responses, and don't feel berated at all. I came here looking for some info and appreciate all that I get. The coilovers and rims on my car kind of fell into my lap after a fellow spec v forum members car was totalled, and parted out, so I threw them on my car. It's my own fault for not looking into the law more, but I guess I am so used to seeing lowered cars I figured I should be fine with my car lowered as well.

Tire rubbing is definitely a legitimate concern, but I wish the officer would have let me prove that the marks were from the previous owner, and that my car does not rub at all.

Oh well, lesson learned. This whole experience is an eye opener for me. I am learning things that I otherwise would have thought were legal/acceptable due to how many others I have seen doing the same modifications to their car.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #31

Quote:
When you are in a line of traffic and a rock suddenly lands on your windshield it is difficult to say where it came from. A couple of times I knew where it came from and it was a pickup becaause there were no other vehicles around. When you are reacting to a rock hit in front of you the last thing you are doing is trying to see where it came from.
That's why I am all for mudflaps. I just don't like being categorized just because my car is modified. My car is lowered, much lower than some, but I still get hassled for my setup because a rock/mud/water *might* spray from my wheels poking out less than an inch. Very unlikey because of how much gap there is in the actual fenders. when it comes to tire rubbing, the whole point now a days is to have "the perfect stance" without damage the vehicle. This where stretched tires, camber kits, spacers, offsets etc come into play. I would never want to put thousands of dollars into my car to barely drive it and chew through tires every month. If it's done right, everything is calculated to the nearest MM.
The Mva is outdated just like the speed limits around here. Half of the officer are not even properly educated. Those that do know the ins and outs of the MVA ticket the wrong kind of crowd. I want to see more straight-pipe-fart-can-civics with eBay 9000k bulbs vtecing their eBay turbos while talking on the phone get more tickets.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #32
RS Peace Officer

"If it's done right, everything is calculated to the nearest MM."

That works until you encounter a situation where you need an extra mm or two, and it will.
Like you and others here, I also would like to see the illegal and unsafe HID "conversion types who blind traffic, get yanked at roadside.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #33
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I also hate it when I see big trucks or lifted SUVs that don't have proper mud flaps. I've been a victim of it once on the Upper Levels Hwy where a truck kicked up a big rock that cracked the windshield.

I was in a courtesy car too so it had no paper and pen handy for me to quickly scribble down a license plate too as I knew where the rock came from. In the end, had to pay out of my pocket for the dedcutible to get it fixed.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGuru View Post
Oh well, lesson learned. This whole experience is an eye opener for me. I am learning things that I otherwise would have thought were legal/acceptable due to how many others I have seen doing the same modifications to their car.
You realize you're not allowed on RS with this mindset?

You're supposed to argue that you shouldn't have got the ticket due to one or more of the following:
- the laws are outdated
- I know my car is safe
- everyone else is doing it
- my cousin/brother/buddy/priest did it and never got a ticket
- the cops were picking on me
- the cops don't know the law
- there are other worse offenders they should be going after
- but it looks cool
- vtak kicked in yo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
RS Peace Officer

Soundy....you forgot the last, most important defence....Soundy/Zulutango said I was wrong and what do they know anyway?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #36

Oh, and let's not forget, "lol i no its illegal but id dun care if i get a ticket o well ill just pay it lol"
Quote:
Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #37
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
I actually think the most common phrase I've heard whenever someone has received a ticket has been,

"The cop was just probably trying to fill his quota!".

GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #38

^Oh yeah, gotta add that to the list.
Quote:
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #39
RS Peace Officer

I retired just too soon. 2 more speeding tickets, 1 VI and an impaired and I would have been given that plasma TV instead of the retirement plaque. A warning to those of you who choose to disregard the laws just because you are a great driver so they don't apply to you....beware, you might run into an old Traffic Nazi who is behind in his quota and will not settle for being skunked like I was.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Soundy....you forgot the last, most important defence....Soundy/Zulutango said I was wrong and what do they know anyway?
Also forgot the "I'll just fight the ticket and win"
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Also forgot the "I'll just fight the ticket and win"
"Maybe the cop won't show up."

And of course, it's always better with the reasoning, "My cousin/brother/buddy/priest disputed and the cop didn't show up."
Quote:
Old 08-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #42
...on a mission....

....or.....fight the superintendent and have him consent to the case...in other words....dropping the case.

I"ve heard that happens....... hehehe
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #43
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
That's why I am all for mudflaps. I just don't like being categorized just because my car is modified. My car is lowered, much lower than some, but I still get hassled for my setup because a rock/mud/water *might* spray from my wheels poking out less than an inch. Very unlikey because of how much gap there is in the actual fenders. when it comes to tire rubbing, the whole point now a days is to have "the perfect stance" without damage the vehicle. This where stretched tires, camber kits, spacers, offsets etc come into play. I would never want to put thousands of dollars into my car to barely drive it and chew through tires every month. If it's done right, everything is calculated to the nearest MM.
The Mva is outdated just like the speed limits around here. Half of the officer are not even properly educated. Those that do know the ins and outs of the MVA ticket the wrong kind of crowd. I want to see more straight-pipe-fart-can-civics with eBay 9000k bulbs vtecing their eBay turbos while talking on the phone get more tickets.
Posted via RS Mobile
I've researched about poke (because my old Civic had quite abit) and the MVA/law states that the tire TREAD must be covered by the fender. Any stretch of the tire or rim can poke out. Yet from my experience this gets VERY messy when is rains and it sprays all out the sides, doesn't matter if you have mudflaps or not.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #44

Ok?

So are you saying I can cause an accident from the water slashing from my stretched tires?

Have you ever driven behind a semi with no trailer in the rain? Looks like fountain doesn't it?
Posted via RS Mobile