REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #51
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Maybe if you had read my post # 38 this would not have been a problem?
Quote:
To quote from pages 55 and 56 of ICBC's "developing your smart driving skills"...

"A highway entrance gives you a short distance to match your speed with vehicles already on the highway....the acceleration lane is divided from the rest of the highway by a solid white line. Use this lane to match your speed to the speed of traffic on the freeway".
As I have already said, and they also say, you accelerate to highway speed in these lanes, not stay at the posted speed of the road that you have left.

I did read it. It clearly states that the acceleration lane is divided from the rest of the highway by a solid white line.

Therefore I waited until the yellow line ended and became white before I considered myself to be in the acceleration lane.

Here's the transition point:
Google Maps

People were passing me on the right and also merged onto the highway behind me by crossing the painted median up ahead after the grassy median ended.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Yes, we can speed up in the merge lane, but where is the official start to the merge lane?

I tried the "wait until the yellow line turns white before you speed up" thing yesterday. I was almost smoked by one car merging behind me and another passing me on the right to get around me.
GAWDAMMM, you are a serious f*cking asshole on the road, you know that? You're going to put your theories to the test in the middle of traffic, knowing full well you're going to piss other drivers off in the process, then come in bleating about "just following the rules" (as YOU have interpreted them) and playing all high-and-mighty self-righteous innocent road user? You're going to cause a wreck and then be the first one whining about the "driving without due care" ticket you will so rightly receive.

Please, just get off the road now. Take your car and chop it up into little bits and make a yard sculpture out of it, and then just stick to walking or taking the bus, as you are quite clearly too immature and/or self-centered to handle the PRIVILEGE of driving on our public roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #53
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
"just following the rules" (as YOU have interpreted them) and playing all high-and-mighty self-righteous innocent road user?
Isn't that what the police want us to do/be?

Christ, I just want to know where I can legally speed up, that's all... Shouldn't more drivers be asking these sorts of questions?

What if I don't want to "go with the flow" and hope that I don't get a ticket?

It's not about pissing off other drivers. If I'm told to drive at the speed limit and let drivers back up behind me and pool around me when they can, then why fault me for that? I don't want to piss off other drivers, but the law is the law, right?

If they're getting pissed off because my law-abiding driving is making it harder for them to break the law, then how is that my fault?

Last edited by sebberry; 08-18-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #54
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Soundy....
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #55
I subscribe to Revscene

Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #56
I subscribe to Revscene

What Soundy is saying here is "go with the flow on the onramp to avoid pissing off drivers and causing a crash, but when you get onto the actual highway, going with the flow is a dangerous ticketable offence."

Soundy, since you are so quick to judgement without all the facts I should point out that by the time I reached the painted island leading to the broken white line I was already doing the speed of the freeway traffic. Not sure how you concluded that it was my fault the other driver decided to cross the island and merge before me. Don't tell me you've never seen a driver cross the painted island.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #57
xxx

lol I don't mean to stir the pot even more but sebberry has a point...

So far nothing has been conclusive as to when the acceleration lane officially begins. Zulu's post 38 makes sense...but following it to the letter will get you in trouble as we saw from sebberry's experience as different on-ramps may have their lines painted differently.

I believe he's just trying to prove a point so I don't see why there's a need to jump down his throat in this case (trying my hardest to ignore his previous threads to prevent any bias in judgment is extremely tough though I agree). Calling him a dangerous driver in this instance is akin to saying following the law makes you a dangerous driver and you should ignore it and do what's convenient and safe instead (much like going with the flow as opposed to being a moving roadblock driving 50).
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #58

Quote:
What Soundy is saying here is "go with the flow on the onramp to avoid pissing off drivers and causing a crash, but when you get onto the actual highway, going with the flow is a dangerous ticketable offence."
I'm actually not saying that, but since any attempt to actually explain myself will be misinterpreted by you anyway, I'm not going to bother attempting to clarify for you. You don't get it, because you DON'T WANT to get it.

Do me one favor: just let me know when you're going to be driving in the Lower Mainland, so I can stay the f*** home - the road is a much more dangerous place with you and your attitude on it.
Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #59
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Do me one favor: just let me know when you're going to be driving in the Lower Mainland, so I can stay the f*** home - the road is a much more dangerous place with you and your attitude on it.
Yes, be very afriad of the guy with a clean record and no collisions...

So if you don't like it when people drive according to the immediate traffic conditions first, then posted speed limits second, tell me - what do you prefer?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Yes, be very afriad of the guy with a clean record and no collisions...
A clean record does not justify driving like an asshole with no regard for the other cars around you.
Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #61
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
A clean record does not justify driving like an asshole with no regard for the other cars around you.
Clearly you don't actually read what I post, or you would have seen by now that I am very much in favor of driving according to the immediate traffic conditions.

Sadly however there's this thing called the law which I prefer not to break.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #62
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
And when did your epiphany happen?

Just wondering how you reconcile that with the link to the pro speeding websirte on your sig line?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Safety...22865007769507

Quote....".not speed enforcement"

Last edited by zulutango; 08-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #63
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
And when did your epiphany happen?

Just wondering how you reconcile that with the link to the pro speeding websirte on your sig line?
Safety by Education Not Speed Enforcement (SENSE) | Facebook

Quote....".not speed enforcement"
My epiphany? I've always been of the opinion that one should drive according to the immediate traffic conditions before driving according to the posted limits. That's the position I've always promoted here.

The enforcement community always says the opposite - "drive according to the posted limit first and foremost. It's ok if you're doing the posted limit and traffic backs up behind you, let them pool around and pass you" (I think that was Skidmark's comment a while ago).

SENSE never suggests that the roads should be turned into race tracks. They've generally stated that people should not be ticketed and punished by the law and ICBC for simply "going with the flow". And since enforcement targets these drivers, hence their "not speed enforcement" title.