REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Hypertension

I'm guessing most people here are so young this probably hasn't been an issue but I'll ask anyway. I've been having terrible headaches for about 10 days. Headaches are not abnormal for me I've had them regularly since I was 8 but these ones have been off the charts.

I borrowed a blood pressure machine from my parents and I've been checking it the last few days and noticed a correlation between higher blood pressure and severity of the headaches. It's been high since I started checking it 140-150ish over 70-90 which is on the high side for sure. Last night I was hitting 189/109 for most the night and was going to go to the hospital but it was 4am and I figured I could stay home and see Doctor this morning with probably a shorter wait. The intensity of the headache last night was off the charts, could not sleep was like a vice was squeezing my melon.

This has all come so sudden for me I was just wondering if anyone else has had something similiar and if reducing their BP level has helped? I got some BP meds and sent for some bloodwork but I'll have to wait for that and the BP doesn't lower instantly. Any solutions to help with the headaches or any type of relaxation methods or something that can help with one of these severe episodes happen?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 08-20-2011 at 05:57 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I had the same thing happen when my thyriod went hyperactive. I had to go on medication to deal with that, take beta blockers (which sucked) as well as learning some serious relaxation techniques (it caused serious insomnia for me as well which didn't help). When your BP gets that high you can have SERIOUS issues (I would have what felt like panic attacks, my whole body going into fight or flight mode, where I would sweat so much I looked like I'd been in a shower then faint).

If your BP goes that high again you SHOULD got to the hospital, regardless of the time. It can cause a stroke or heart attack on the off chance you have a weak vessel.

For me, when my thyroid stabilized, and I learned some relaxation, my BP lowered dramatically. I still have an above average heart rate but it's not in the danger zone.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
assuming you used the machine correctly, 190/110 is very serious...that's stage III hypertension and pretty much grounds to seek medical attention ASAP

Why didn't you just ask your doc these questions? Probably not a bad idea to ask him/her to prescribe you some nitroglycerin spray.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

I used the machine correctly and did multiple readings throughout the night. I know it's serious, I talked to a nurse on the nurses hotline and she had said because the Doctor was open at 7 it might be quicker to go that route but she suggested the hospital. Last time I went to emergency for my son it took 9 hours to see a Doctor so I thought I'd just wait. I couldn't get in to see my Doctor because he's off till Tuesday so I was only able to go to a clinic. I didn't really get a chance to ask much because at the time I was in so much pain I couldn't think clearly.

I'm going to go see my regular Doctor on Tuesday but I posted because I thought maybe someone else has went through the same and might know some good techniques or remedies to help in the meantime.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
SiRVs up, dude

Go to the ER ASAP man, it could be some serious underlying pathology.. Could be thyroid, could be cancer (ex. Pheochromocytoma - PubMed Health) but won't know without the fully array of testing. Go NOW
Old 08-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #6

BP is down in the 145-150 now. I'm having tests done, nothing the ER can do for me now. You guys are right though I should have probably went to hospital Saturday morning and if it shoots up like that again I will. Checking it 3 times a day now so I'll know if its rising.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

There are so many causes of hypertension and it's impossible to diagnose you without proper screening. They will for sure perform blood tests and specific tests such as TSH levels (thyroid associated) along with other tests that the doctor will recommend. 190/110 is quite serious and it's almost 100% the cause of your headaches atm. I would never mention the word cancer to patients or to people that I see without being 90% certain or unless there is a high probability because this just adds to stress and anxiety which may shoot up your BP even more. Don't worry about any diagnosis for now and just see a doctor asap. Hopefully there's no major underlying cause. If you've been prescribed BP meds, continue to take them until your blood tests come back and monitor your BP 2-3 times a day if possible (morning, afternoon, sleep).
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Did you get it checked out? Just curious as to the cause...
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Nurse here. You should def have it checked out. There are many reasons for the headache. But at the hospital we that headaches with sudden onset of high BP very seriously. You should consider going to the doctors.
geasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Posted via RS Mobile
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #11

I went to the Doctor and have had a follow up since. The Doctor believed my BP spikes were a combination of stress and bad cholesterol. The high BP is what was causing the terrible headaches. I'm on BP medication daily now and it's been better. It's still high but not like it was for that two weeks of non stop headaches.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
SiRVs up, dude

Good to hear you're better!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Also glad that you're safe. You're probably on lipid lowering drugs as well I assume? If not, you could consider talking to your doctor about it unless you're a fairly active young individual that can change his diet easily =).
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Which is more accurate to check blood pressure? Omron wrist monitor or the upper arm?
Old 11-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
man i totally misread your thread and was going to talk to you about a hyperextension lol

glad to hear you're ok though

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote