REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Richmond rules on modded cars

so, i recently bought a 350z from an RS member thats quite low and living in Richmond really makes it difficult to get around... I was wondering if you guys think it will still look good if i decide to change the suspension and raise it up abit. Any suggestions as to how much i can raise it without making it look ugly are welcome.

and on a 2nd note, its sporting a JIC spartan single exhaust running catless with testpipes. Its loud as fuck and once again, being in richmond, its just asking for a pull over. any suggestions as what i can do to minimize the sound? the car is sporting an ATI supercharger for those that need to know. I asked the original owner and he said there is no silencer available for this muffler.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Your ride height isn't going to be an issue in Richmond by itself. But driving around with a loud exhaust will get unwanted attention of police, and from there they will continue to pick your car apart to find anything that could be potentially be illegal.

But the biggest factor is your driving style. Drive like an ass with a car that sounds / looks like that in Richmond, will get you a VI no problem. I drove around a slammed 240 with test pipe for years in richmond, and never had one problem.

Nice Z33 btw!
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
You sure there's no silencer for that version of the Spartan? The Spartan DE has an inner silencer available for it. Otherwise, consider changing to an exhaust setup with one available.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
Your ride height isn't going to be an issue in Richmond by itself. But driving around with a loud exhaust will get unwanted attention of police, and from there they will continue to pick your car apart to find anything that could be potentially be illegal.

But the biggest factor is your driving style. Drive like an ass with a car that sounds / looks like that in Richmond, will get you a VI no problem. I drove around a slammed 240 with test pipe for years in richmond, and never had one problem.

Nice Z33 btw!

good to know my ride height is not "illegal" cuz i was really worried about that but it seems really difficult to get by just anywhere in Richmond without hearing a good "schrussh" on the bottom of my bumper. Thats why i prefer to save myself the grief and just replace suspension with less drop but i wanna know people's opinion if it will still look good or is my current ride height the perfect height already.

I am not an ass when i drive as i am in fact a matured driver. over 20 years of driving experience with no accidents and/or speeding tickets. i am by no means someone who rips or does burn outs just becuz im riding a built car but i am definitely concerned about a possible VI as i have heard horror stories. I would rather keep it safe and avoid any possibility of pull overs. Its a shame to have to remove parts as the original owner took the effort and time to actually build a car that compliments each part. I respect the build he did and therefore taking good care of it but unfortunately the environment I live in is a little more hostile to cars like these.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
You sure there's no silencer for that version of the Spartan? The Spartan DE has an inner silencer available for it. Otherwise, consider changing to an exhaust setup with one available.

I honestly dont know. Im just going based on what he said. I will definitely asked driverhard tomorrow what they can do about it but if there is a silencer for this muffler im jumping on that in a heartbeat.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
From my understand, isn't it legal as long as it's not rubbing and the wheels aren't cambered the fuck out?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #7

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
im pretty sure you're safe suspension wise...looks like a good 1-2 finger gap there
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

headlight must be higher than 53 cm and it cant have body part touching the ground when all the tires are flat
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
great lookin car, previous owner is a NiCLUB member...

and OP not trying to offend, but one look at this car and one should know what it's about, low mean and aggressive, didn't you think about what life with this type of car would be like before you bought it ? because sounds like you have a problem with pretty much everything the car is about

the car itself isn't even that low, but that ings front bumper you got there lucky for you that's probably the lowest bumper you could put on a 350z, compared to all the other aftermarket bumpers that one is super low, my suggestion to you would be don't touch the ride height, unless you wanna be stuck with fcked up suspension settings like camber, etc.... looks like previous owner made it a point to extract the maximum grip from it since it's supercharged, my guess is all the suspension is on point and if you do shit to it, possibly askin for a fck up

But if you wanna make things easier for yourself, opt out for a different front bumper one that's not quite as low as the Ings, other than that this car should be fine to drive around anywhere in the city, I daily drive my car with less tire than you and much lower than you and I have no issues whatsoever, neither does my wifey she drives it as well, so man up brah
and enjoy this sweet ride, also come introduce yourself over on our local Nissan forum http://www.niclub.ca/
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
good to know my ride height is not "illegal" cuz i was really worried about that but it seems really difficult to get by just anywhere in Richmond without hearing a good "schrussh" on the bottom of my bumper. Thats why i prefer to save myself the grief and just replace suspension with less drop but i wanna know people's opinion if it will still look good or is my current ride height the perfect height already.

I am not an ass when i drive as i am in fact a matured driver. over 20 years of driving experience with no accidents and/or speeding tickets. i am by no means someone who rips or does burn outs just becuz im riding a built car but i am definitely concerned about a possible VI as i have heard horror stories. I would rather keep it safe and avoid any possibility of pull overs. Its a shame to have to remove parts as the original owner took the effort and time to actually build a car that compliments each part. I respect the build he did and therefore taking good care of it but unfortunately the environment I live in is a little more hostile to cars like these.
You should look into getting a silencer, or maybe replacing the exhaust, if it's really that loud. Other than that you should be fine!
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I wouldn't change anything. Just enjoy this setup, don't drive like an ass and you won't get a ticket/VI. If you do get a VI, then use that opportunity to change things up a bit.
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
There are a few cops on this forum that usually post in there, Skidmark is one, maybe try to PM to him and ask instead to ask people who dont know the answer and make guesses..
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

asking a cop is pretty useless

they'd tell u every god damn thing is illegal

no shit

PS

if u were so god damn worried, why on earth did u even buy this car in the first place my god

werent u all worried 10 months ago selling ur A4 or some shit a little while ago than picked up a m3?

Last edited by GG; 10-23-2011 at 07:41 PM.
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Böse ///M

I would just change exhaust. I had amuse R1000 on my 370z which is almost identical design. It's not worth it.
I tried to weld in couple resonators, for my case, no muffler shop will do it cuz it's really thin titanium.
But your case, it will be pretty expensive to weld 3 or 4 resonators.
Also, each resonator would only bring down 2~3dB at most. I know JIC exhaust being really loud i think it will be still loud.
And i think your ride height is just fine.

Ps. Nice Z you have!
Posted via RS Mobile
AKUMA_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
heard ur car leavin chevron in rmd,u were rippin it on westminster hwy
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcaptain View Post
heard ur car leavin chevron in rmd,u were rippin it on westminster hwy
lol if you think that was rippin it then its obviously too loud. i was feathering the gas and i was switching gears at 2500rpm. the fastest ive gone with this car is 60km/h and 100km/h on the highway. the supercharger is freshly built so it still needs a break in period.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
^ just take her for a rip at night or something, take her up to 250kmh +

btw Richmond cops are assholes. Got a ticket for "aftermarket exhaust" and no front plate. It was after the revscene summer meet actually. I was driving totally normal, cop was just a big douche. I disputed the ticket of couse...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
There are a few cops on this forum that usually post in there, Skidmark is one, maybe try to PM to him and ask instead to ask people who dont know the answer and make guesses..
It's clearly stickied at the top of the police forum not to pm them. Besides, all they'll do is confirm the legalities concerning modified cars listed in the MVA.

Living in Richmond, you'll likely get pulled over for the cage, just so police can take a closer look and confirm nothing is illegal. Welcome to life with a heavily modified car, there are sacrifices.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
you picked up a sweet ride! hope you take good care of it just like my buddy did

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
you picked up a sweet ride! hope you take good care of it just like my buddy did

im definitely babying her. she'll be rolling for about 2 more weeks (weather pending) then its hibernation for her for the winter season to get ready for summer love 2012.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
The cheapest fixes you can do is first, ditch the test pipe and put on a stock or high flow cat. That will lessen the exhaust by a few db's.
Next, if the exhaust has no silencer, then try getting another exhaust. Get one with some resonators which will lower a few more db's.

Lastly, I highly recommend you taking out the cage. I don't see any SAE padding and those metal pipes will do a lot of damage if your unprotected head hits them in the event of an accident. That and if you get stopped at a road block, that cage is an invite for trouble especially since it is bright blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #22

Get the cats back in if you want it to be "legal"
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #23

any idea how much it is to remove a roll cage? i believe its the cusco bolt on one so its not welded.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
^ if it's a cusco bolt in, you can take it out yourself or with the help of a buddy.

like mentioned before, so long as you drive in a mature manner and take it easy on the throttle you'll be fine. i've lived in richmond my entire "driving life" and haven't had a whole lot of issues. for your sake, i hope your driving record is relatively clean or it's just an excuse for the rcmp to pull you over and hassle you.

as for ride height, are they not coilovers? if it's height adjustable, and i'm guessing it is on a car like this, i'd raise it up a max of 1 inch. the wheel gap you have now looks sufficient but an inch up wouldn't be all that bad. you would have to get your alignment done again though if you change the height to any extent.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
^ if it's a cusco bolt in, you can take it out yourself or with the help of a buddy.

like mentioned before, so long as you drive in a mature manner and take it easy on the throttle you'll be fine. i've lived in richmond my entire "driving life" and haven't had a whole lot of issues. for your sake, i hope your driving record is relatively clean or it's just an excuse for the rcmp to pull you over and hassle you.

as for ride height, are they not coilovers? if it's height adjustable, and i'm guessing it is on a car like this, i'd raise it up a max of 1 inch. the wheel gap you have now looks sufficient but an inch up wouldn't be all that bad. you would have to get your alignment done again though if you change the height to any extent.

yea its a cusco bolt on so ill try taking it out with a buddy. i have a clean record with no speeding tickets or any history so i should be good. i think my main concern is the muffler sound. its definitely too loud so ill try to get that resolved first. unfortunately the suspension is not coilovers so i cannot adjust height. thanks for the advice as well.