REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Need help with lowering springs

Situation: CSX-S, stock suspension, 18x8.5+38 wheels - 225/40/18 tires

Problem: Rubs with 4 people in the car (excluding me) - as in it can't go over typical depressions on roads at 50-60km, have to be super careful going up and down ramps, in general going up and down ramps (even with just me =_=), taking turns too aggressively, etc.

<my> Solution: stiffer springs, same suspension... maybe 1/2 inch drop? there's like a 2 finger wheel gap and i think that's enough haha

Reason: no money for coilovers (edit**// somewhat unwilling to pay for coilovers lol), and i don't like it when my car is too low, less practical in general...

What I need to know: can someone tell me what the exact specs are for the CSX-S suspension/springs and/or link me to a website that i can find this information myself?

or suggest something for me... lol x_x, thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by DouMing; 04-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.
DouMing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
cut springs, put a no fat chicks sticker, continue with life.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Without searching anything at all, I can suggest that you take a look at some of the RS sponsors to get a professional assessment.
FN-2199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Sell your wheels
Wrong size, wrong offset, too wide
You probable bought used.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESHvibe View Post
Without searching anything at all, I can suggest that you take a look at some of the RS sponsors to get a professional assessment.
well i do have money but not willing to spend on coilovers lol, but if no one knows i will look into asking an RS sponsor... and if i get springs my friend can install it for me free of charge x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
Sell your wheels
i like this look, and i bought new =x, no problems with how it looks; i just dont want it to rub so often
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
Sell your wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouMing View Post
well i do have money but not willing to spend on coilovers lol, but if no one knows i will look into asking an RS sponsor

i like this look, and i bought new =x, no problems with how it looks; i just dont want it to rub so often
Since that is your response to a valid, and probably cheapest, solution if you do it right, stop complaining haha.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #7

If you're rubbing a lot, why not go down a size in tires or rims and sell the old ones? You could even run a smaller tire size, say, 215/40/18 tires, which would decrease sidewall bulkiness.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

^i just didn't think that my stock suspension was that squishy =[..

here's a picture

Quote:
If you're rubbing a lot, why not go down a size in tires or rims and sell the old ones? You could even run a smaller tire size, say, 215/40/18 tires, which would decrease sidewall bulkiness.
it took me a long time to decide on the ones i got.... and if i changed tire size i'd have to go through all that hassle to find a buyer (which there may not be for a while)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Quote:
^i just didn't think that my stock suspension was that squishy =[..

here's a picture
Well, you're running wheels that are poking a good 15mm out from stock, so that's to be expected. Honda doesn't expect you to run wider wheels with their stock suspension.
Keep in mind, changing your suspension will also cost you if you don't DIY.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Well, you're running wheels that are poking a good 15mm out from stock, so that's to be expected. Honda doesn't expect you to run wider wheels with their stock suspension.
Keep in mind, changing your suspension will also cost you if you don't DIY.
my friend can install the lowering springs for me as a favour which is why i'm opting for this option.. now if i can just find the right specs =/
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #11

Google up...

Spoiler!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm no expert but even if you get stiffer lowering springs, if you want to keep that wheel setup, you might have to rock some negative camber and / or roll your fenders.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
You cannot simply change to lowering springs and expect your issues to be resolved. If you install lowering springs with a significantly higher spring rate than stock to decrease the travel of the suspension, the stock dampers inside the struts and shocks will no longer be able to control the springs. The result of that will be a decrease in handling ability, a terrible ride, and a significantly decreased lifespan for the stock parts since you're subjecting them to abuse they weren't designed to handle. Your best option is an adjustable height suspension, so you can dial in the ride height to one that works with the wheels you've purchased. At the very least however, you should be upgrading the struts and shocks to ones appropriate and designed for use with lowering springs.

Even if you modify the suspension however, I highly doubt you're going to going to eliminate the rubbing. A stiffer set of springs will decrease suspension travel, but lowering springs will also reduce the suspension travel so the solution is fighting itself. Unless you're rubbing by a very minor amount, you'll achieve nothing but fucking up your car more with your current plans, imo. Better solutions, in order of best to worst, would be:

1. Sell/Trade the current wheels and switch to something closer to the stock offsets.
2. Roll the fenders.
3. Have the car realigned to have a bit of negative camber on all four wheels.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #14

^thank you.. maybe i will dish out money to buy coilovers =_=.. researching costs now lol =/
Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #15

Cut springs...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Dont buy lowering springs, as MindBomber said, you cannot change one part of your suspension and think you're done, the OEM setup was designed to work as a whole, if you change one part out, you will find another part to have a weak link. Just buy coilovers or a good set of springs & struts, if you can't pay to play, don't.

The only reason I haven't bought rims yet is because I want a flush set, with that, I need an overhaul of my suspension setup, I'm not willing to roll/pull my fenders just yet.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
mm.. I dont mean to stomp on you.. but u own a CSX and can't afford struts?
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
^ He doesn't want to spend the cash on struts/springs.

OP, if you really wanted to keep those rims, roll/pull your fenders or put some negative camber on, as said before.
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #19

18x9.5 +20, and look at that fuggin camber, you'd need some hella rolled fenders for you to fit my friend

I'm planning to do 18x10.5
Old 04-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #20
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
<my> Solution: stiffer springs, same suspension... maybe 1/2 inch drop? there's like a 2 finger wheel gap and i think that's enough haha

Reason: no money for coilovers, and i don't like it when my car is too low, less practical in general...

or suggest something for me... lol x_x, thanks
I recommend this:

Lowering Kit - $19.95 : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #21

sigh i donno.. haha, i'll have to think about this.. but right now i'm thinking about getting coilovers next year and just driving more carefully now.. x_x

i got screwed over trying to save money on paint/installation of certain things and i paid for it with a ton of headache, frustration and suicidal thoughts (exaggeration)... so i think i should do things right and just get coilovers, save the headache i may encounter later =/
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #22

You did things in the wrong order is all, prep your car for fat wheels, I would advise putting some skinnier tires back on until you get coilovers & control arms installed.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #23

it's all good, i will... just deal with it haha, its not so bad until you start putting people in the car, and when you drive a sedan you automatically become the person to drive everyone because of convenience lol...

but thanks for everyone's input x)
Old 04-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
sigh i donno.. haha, i'll have to think about this.. but right now i'm thinking about getting coilovers next year and just driving more carefully now.. x_x

i got screwed over trying to save money on paint/installation of certain things and i paid for it with a ton of headache, frustration and suicidal thoughts (exaggeration)... so i think i should do things right and just get coilovers, save the headache i may encounter later =/
My honest advice?

Coilovers have been the best purchase I made for my car. The wheels are great, but I can't see them when I drive. The brakes are nice, but I hardly ever need the stopping power. The retrofit was a good idea, but I only use it at night (and got a ticket last week for it). My coilovers change the feel of my car around every corner, at every speed, every time I drive. I'm very glad I spent the money on a decent set, they're my favourite mod by a wide margin.

If you don't feel comfortable spending the money right now (I space out my car purchases too), then I'm pretty confident the problem could be resolved with a relatively minor fender roll at the fraction of the price of coilovers.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #25

The best combination mod is not a fat turbo and intercooler, but BUCKETS and coilovers.