REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #151
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Speaking of Oktoberfest, I went to the event at the Alpen Club on 33rd and Victoria on the 6th and it was a ton of fun. This weekend looks like it's going to be the last weekend of the event. Check it out at this link:

Vancouver Alpen Club
Advertisement
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #152
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,420 Posts
They're opening one of these in Vancouver at olympic village next summer Craft Beer Market
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #153
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Interesting, might need to check this one out.

Quote:
Switchback IPA (Lighthouse Brewing Company, 6.5%)

This is the first in a series of reviews on the new wave of B.C. IPAs. This province already produces some of the best India Pale Ales in Canada and arguably North America – I’m looking at you, Red Racer and Fat Tug – but that doesn’t deter craft brewers releasing new takes on the style into an increasingly crowded marketplace.

Lighthouse already had an IPA in its range when head brewer Dean McLeod was challenged to make a bolder, more distinctive West Coast-style brew.

The New Zealander had previously tinkered with hops from his native land and now decided to add their flavours and aromas to a staggering bill of 14 different hop strains in what was to become the Switchback IPA .

(McLeod explained the effort that goes into making this beer as part of my Labeer of Love series.)

All the hard work was clearly worth it, because this is one of the most distinctive B.C. IPAs on the market right now. And the market is loving it, considering how quickly supplies dwindled when it was released this spring.

A bold, clear, slightly reddish copper colour with a robust, long-lasting white head, Switchback looks great in a glass.

But the journey really starts with the nose. Immediately snappy and biscuity, it suddenly blooms into a basket of tropical fruit notes: passion fruit, mango, guava, with a slightly sour grapefruit edge. A solid caramel malt sweetness underpins it all.

That sweetness is the first flavour to hit, but again, the fruit arrives just in time for the party. There’s cantaloupe, melon and some strawberry in there, with some bitter herbs (I caught some sage and thyme) and a little grass.

There’s even a hint of roastiness that comes into play as a sturdy bitterness coats the tongue and attacks the sides of the mouth, leaving a snappy, salty-sour tang.

This then develops into an umame savouriness in the aftertaste and elegant finish, which is long and dry but maybe just a little too thin, but purely in relation to the riot of flavours that have come before.

Nevertheless, this is an extraordinary, unique B.C. IPA that reveals what careful blending of hop strains can achieve.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #154
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Hmm.. I'll check it out as I love IPAs (especially pacific northwest) but I'm skeptical that it will be better than Red Racer IMPERIAL IPA. So gooood on draught. Should permanently have it but then I'd probablylive at Central Brewing...
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #155
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

ummm-nummm-nummm =D, need more beer!
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #156
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,540 Times in 4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
They're opening one of these in Vancouver at olympic village next summer Craft Beer Market
If any body cares, in my experience, I find that these types of bars which have a wide assortment of beers available usually aren't the greatest.

I've been to some equivalent establishments in Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles (Pourhouse) and despite the amount of "second chances" I always find the quality of beer is sub par simply because they don't go through beer often enough to keep it fresh.

On the other hand, a place like Father's Office in Los Angeles is great because only a small handful of beers are served on tap while everything else is bottled and/or canned. Food menu is small and extremely limited in hopes of a high turnover rate.

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #157

Heads up, BCLC in Kerrisdale on 41st has some great clearance deals on summer beers if you don't mind drinking them out of season.

Picked up a 6 pack of Central City White Ale for $8.90 and a few Unibroue Blanche de Chambly for $4.90 each.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #158
Banned By Establishment

Cheapest place I could find the Asahi Black was the liquor store on Abbot street in Tinseltown without having to order a case that is.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #159
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Heads up, BCLC in Kerrisdale on 41st has some great clearance deals on summer beers if you don't mind drinking them out of season.

Picked up a 6 pack of Central City White Ale for $8.90 and a few Unibroue Blanche de Chambly for $4.90 each.
I think I will check the LDB closest to me to see if they have any deals.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #160
Wanna have a threesome?

Hermannator Ice Block - A limited annual release from Vancouver Island Brewery is available now.

If you enjoy rich dark beers, you should definitely give this one a try while its out. It's the perfect compliment to a dark, cold, rainy night in Vancouver.

On the off chance you don't like this beer, it's 9.5%, so have a couple and you'll be drunk enough that you do.

4.3/5

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #161
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
The hermanators are alright, find the strength kinda takes away from the overall tasting experience, they do get you fucked up though

I've tried a whole bunch of beers over the past couple weekends, ill post some up when I get home
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #162
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Anyone know of a place locally that has framboise lambic?
Posted via RS Mobile
ApePee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #163
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The hermanators are alright, find the strength kinda takes away from the overall tasting experience, they do get you fucked up though

I've tried a whole bunch of beers over the past couple weekends, ill post some up when I get home
Posted via RS Mobile
Hermannator compared to Hermann's, I agree, the strength shields some of the flavour you expect to have. The high alcohol content does add something itself though, a different flavour. I'm not sure whether I enjoy what the high alcohol content adds or not, but if nothing else, it's interesting and not offensive.

Has anyone tried Parallel 49 Black Christmas C.D.A.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePee2 View Post
Anyone know of a place locally that has framboise lambic?
Posted via RS Mobile
You could try filling out a special request form from BC Liquor.
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/...rs_form_v2.pdf
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #164

I find the high alchohol content in the hermanators wayyy more enjoyable than those fuxking nasty "bud shots" though, those things taste like There's half a shot of whiskey in them
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #165
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts

I went to Cirque du Soleil and tried some Blanche de Chambly at the VIP open bar. After googling it up it looks like it's from Quebec? Anyways awesome white ale. Creamy, orange, lemon, pepper, and coriander.

I haven't seen these in stores. I had 3 of them.

Is there some sort of province to province regulation in Canada, for beers? I seem to remember hearing something about that a while ago, but can't seem to google it easily.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #166

It's by Unibroue, which has several more common brews you can find at BC Liquor Stores.

Blonde de Chambly is similar to Blanche but more common.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #167

uhg, all the other Unibroue have been pretty horrible, i havent tried that one but i randomly picked up the green apple one they make and it was undrinkable lol and i'm not the type of person to leave a beer behind!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #168
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

anybody recommendations on a nutty chocolatey beer?
ursher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #169

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is tasty and easy to find.

I had a GIB Chocolate Imperial Stout last year that was pretty tasty, it's probably available soon if not already.

Edit: yes GIB Chocolate is in liquor stores now, just picked up a bottle myself.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Last edited by sonick; 12-06-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #170
sas

Quote:
uhg, all the other Unibroue have been pretty horrible, i havent tried that one but i randomly picked up the green apple one they make and it was undrinkable lol and i'm not the type of person to leave a beer behind!
Ugghhh... Unibroue is by far one of the best microbrews in Canada. What did you have that was so grotesque? La Fin Du Monde is an awesome tripel, Blanche de Chamblay is also terrific. Sounds crazy, but I prefer La Fin Du Monde over Chimay Blue. I can taste the candied malts now, can picture the 2 finger head that just lingers in my goblet and the amazing spiciness for mouthfeel.

Le Terrible is also terrific but is a limited run. Unibrue Grand Reserve 17 is another one of my favs. They make alot of Belgium style beers (Not talking like, 'Stella' btw) which have sweet malts and are generally higher in abv. I had the pleasure of visiting their micrbrew (live in Ottawa right now).

I also highly, highly recommend you guys checking out Dieu Du Ciel. Another remarkable Quebec microbrew. They make an awesome stout - Le Peche Mortel. It is an imperial stout and was served in a tulip glass since a proper pint glass would probably get you loaded damn quickly lol. I will post pics of the microbrew later. Did a tour of all the major microbrews in Quebec with a few buddies. My friend, who is new to beer and thinks Heineken is a good beer, hated Belgium tripels at the beginning loved La Fin Du Monde at the very end of our trip lol

BTW - if I recall correctly, I think Surrey Central brew pub has one of the largest selection of microbrews. There's another one in BBY North near SFU.. think it was Hop and Vine. Go there, because they have Fat Tug on draught. My 2nd favourite Pacific NW IPA after Red Racer. Tried that Switch Back IPA and didn't think too much of it. There is also a Mango infused IPA that is often on draught. Interesting but I couldn't appreciate the clash of flavours.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #171
sas

https://www.dropbox.com/s/in3munjwvo...915_232456.jpg

Last edited by sas; 12-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #172
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursher View Post
anybody recommendations on a nutty chocolatey beer?
Phillips makes a good chocolate porter:

Longboat Chocolate Porter | Phillips Beer
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #173

Just picked up a bottle of unibroue terrible yesterday, can't wait to try it out.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #174
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
BTW - if I recall correctly, I think Surrey Central brew pub has one of the largest selection of microbrews. There's another one in BBY North near SFU.. think it was Hop and Vine. Go there, because they have Fat Tug on draught. My 2nd favourite Pacific NW IPA after Red Racer. Tried that Switch Back IPA and didn't think too much of it. There is also a Mango infused IPA that is often on draught. Interesting but I couldn't appreciate the clash of flavours.
Joeys on Lougheed actually has Fat Tug on tap last time I was there.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #175
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,540 Times in 4,321 Posts
Had Fat Tug IPA a while back and it unsuspectingly destroyed me.

But pretty delicious might I add. Quite a dangerous combination.

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote