REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #26
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
ill drive this time, he/she drives next.
not in the business of nickle and dime-ing my friends.

out of GVRD - we will split the cost. its understood.
this
Advertisement
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Traveling from 33 and Victoria to Nightmarket near Home Depot is about 7km. Driving to Metrotown to pick up your friend before going might add another 10km. For 20km roundtrip, that is only $2-3 on gas. Grow up and stop counting on that tiny bit of money. Friendships worth a lot more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1flipkid View Post
For me, I'm usually the driver. Because A) I have my own vehicle B) Full license C) I live on the other side of the city with a certain group of friends. D) some of my friends don't have a car/license. I don't mind if the destination is on the way. But if I have to go on a major detour, I find it irritating.

ie. Friends and I want to go to the Nightmarket in Richmond. My house is lets say around 33rd + Victoria, while a friend lives near Metrotown and asks for a ride there/back.

I'm usually not the type to say no to giving rides. I never do ask for gas money. But if the offer is there (which rarely happens in my case) I would take it. But I wouldn't mind receiving 5 bucks here and there. (I'm not expecting it every single ride) Insurance + gas isn't cheap.
FOB Mainlander is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #28
v6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

My friends and I usually take turns driving each other, but when I didn't drive for the past few months, I would offer to pay for food or parking etc. I don't think I can ever ask my friends for gas money, but a few bucks lets say for parking etc would be nice.
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOB Mainlander View Post
Traveling from 33 and Victoria to Nightmarket near Home Depot is about 7km. Driving to Metrotown to pick up your friend before going might add another 10km. For 20km roundtrip, that is only $2-3 on gas. Grow up and stop counting on that tiny bit of money. Friendships worth a lot more...
Just making it clear, that was only a blind example. I don't actually live in Vancouver. My situation could be more or less based on that.

But like I said, I DON'T ask for money nor do I expect it. Yes, $2-3 doesn't seem like much but over time and repetitiveness it does tend to add up. I enjoy my friendship with my friends, they're great, but don't tell me to "grow up" when I'm the one carefully trying to manage money/time into my life where every dollar/second counts.
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Just making it clear, that was only a blind example. I don't actually live in Vancouver. My situation could be more or less based on that.

But like I said, I DON'T ask for money nor do I expect it. Yes, $2-3 doesn't seem like much but over time and repetitiveness it does tend to add up. I enjoy my friendship with my friends, they're great, but don't tell me to "grow up" when I'm the one carefully trying to manage money/time into my life where every dollar/second counts.
Just curious how old are you.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Just curious how old are you.
Let's just say early 20's.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
So you're on welfare? Why is $2 so important to you?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
I never ask for money unless I really need to
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
How I Mod your mother

If I have to go out of my way, I'll usually request a small snack or something if its a lengthier drive.

If I ask for a ride, I'll always offer some gas money
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
So you're on welfare? Why is $2 so important to you?
Hey just an FYI - something is wrong with your post.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
For me, I'm usually the driver. Because A) I have my own vehicle B) Full license C) I live on the other side of the city with a certain group of friends. D) some of my friends don't have a car/license. I don't mind if the destination is on the way. But if I have to go on a major detour, I find it irritating.

ie. Friends and I want to go to the Nightmarket in Richmond. My house is lets say around 33rd + Victoria, while a friend lives near Metrotown and asks for a ride there/back.

I'm usually not the type to say no to giving rides. I never do ask for gas money. But if the offer is there (which rarely happens in my case) I would take it. But I wouldn't mind receiving 5 bucks here and there. (I'm not expecting it every single ride) Insurance + gas isn't cheap.
You are ranting because you have to drive 5km from Victoria+33rd to Metro?

I'd like to hear your story if your gf lives in Surrey, and having to drop her off after a day/night out.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #37
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
"Gas Money" is what we did in High School, when it was hard to save up any money with just a part time job...

If you're in your early 20s and are still cheaping out about a couple bucks you're doing something horribly wrong.

I'm 19 and I don't ask for gas money anymore. If somebody dug into their pocket to give me some change I wouldn't even want it. A beer, a pop a snack sure, but never any change.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #38

This is why I put "Gas money" in quotations. It doesn't strictly limit it to the form of money per se. But also, food, drink, another ride, etc etc..
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
You are ranting because you have to drive 5km from Victoria+33rd to Metro?

I'd like to hear your story if your gf lives in Surrey, and having to drop her off after a day/night out.
That was just a blind example. I don't actually live in Vancouver, nor do I have a friend who lives around Metrotown.

Those are some of the obligations of a relationship. But I'm pretty sure she returns the favour.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #40

Quote:
This is why I put "Gas money" in quotations. It doesn't strictly limit it to the form of money per se. But also, food, drink, another ride, etc etc..
The thing is, gas money can be used literally for gas money.

If you get a snack a drink or a beer, its something that doesn't put you in a better financial situation. I could care less about getting it, its more of the gesture that matters.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #41

Don't like being told to grow up? How about BE A MAN!

Sorry, I don't know you are living on a tight budget. I think you shouldn't be driving if you really care about those peanuts. What if your car windshield is being hit by flying rock or being hit and run while you are going out with your friends? Are you going to ask them to chip in for your insurance deductible? You said you are trying to manage money/time into your life then I suggest save your time on this type of stuff. Find a higher pay job and work a few more hours then you will have more disposable income.

Quote:

Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Don't like being told to grow up? How about BE A MAN!

Sorry, I don't know you are living on a tight budget. I think you shouldn't be driving if you really care about those peanuts. What if your car windshield is being hit by flying rock or being hit and run while you are going out with your friends? Are you going to ask them to chip in for your insurance deductible? You said you are trying to manage money/time into your life then I suggest save your time on this type of stuff. Find a higher pay job and work a few more hours then you will have more disposable income.
What may be "peanuts" to you, may be something a bit more to others. I'm going to assume that we both come from different financial backgrounds/situations.

It's a lot easier to say "find a higher pay job" than it is to actually get one. That also takes up a lot of time. But, that's what I'm currently working on. Where I don't have to constantly be worrying about my finances, where I could find myself to live comfortable to satisfy my needs. Then, who knows? Free rides for everyone!
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #43

Quote:
What may be "peanuts" to you, may be something a bit more to others. I'm going to assume that we both come from different financial backgrounds/situations.

It's a lot easier to say "find a higher pay job" than it is to actually get one. That also takes up a lot of time. But, that's what I'm currently working on. Where I don't have to constantly be worrying about my finances, where I could find myself to live comfortable to satisfy my needs. Then, who knows? Free rides for everyone!
What kind of backround do you come from?

I come from middle class parents, who don't support me at all.

Car, insurance, gas, rent, food and entertainment are all up to me.

I pay 100% of my life at 19 and proud to say it.

What about you?
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
What kind of backround do you come from?

I come from middle class parents, who don't support me at all.

Car, insurance, gas, rent, food and entertainment are all up to me.

I pay 100% of my life at 19 and proud to say it.

What about you?
I prefer not to disclose that type of information about my family and their financial background. But as soon as I turned 16, I started working to sustain all my personal expenses/lifestyle.

That's great, and you should be proud, how many of your friends your age can say the same thing? Heck, I know people in their 20's who still ask their parents for money.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
^ Im 15 and i have to pay for everything.. no one was going to pay for my personal expenses (transportation, food, entertainment) I even had to pay for fucking everything even school fees for highschool =.=
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #46

I wish I am rich too. LOL I can tell you that I use up almost every single dollar from my salary to pay for car loan, house mortgage and other living costs.

It's hard to find a good job but did you try hard? If you are really living in a tight budget now, don't drive! That will save you lots of money!

Quote:

Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #47
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
yeah dude sounds like you can't afford to drive.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #48
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
since im not driving right meow, when I need something that can't be done with a scooter, I'll call a buddy up tell him to come pick me up go for lunch and help me with some stuff. I'll usually buy him lunch or chip in a little extra.

Road trips is a given.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #49

Quote:
I wish I am rich too. LOL I can tell you that I use up almost every single dollar from my salary to pay for car loan, house mortgage and other living costs.

It's hard to find a good job but did you try hard? If you are really living in a tight budget now, don't drive! That will save you lots of money!
Still in the process of achieving that higher paying job. My job is not transit accessible, and car pooling is not an option either. I can afford having a car. I do have disposable income, it's just I'm forcing myself to have a "tight budget." I have a huge chunk of my pay go towards savings/investments. I'll suffer now, so I don't have to later.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #50
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
imo splitting gas costs is only acceptable if you're all going on a road trip together. plus who the hell asks for gas money when you're driving a friend home? might as well tell them to take a cab if you're that much of a penny pincher.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote