REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #1101
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
In the end, after the smoke clears, the world continues to spin.

Trump is still alive. chinar continues to compete with the US as the most hated nation on the planet. Wars continue. Hate and rage continues in all corners of the globe. Good people have always been outnumbered by selfish, greedy people. Nothing changes. Artists will continue to create songs in hopes of change. It always comes down to each individual, I guess. Good, honest people need to continue doing what they can to make a difference and not give up.

Why I'm posting this, I have no idea.

RS. So many people hating. I haven't witnessed any nice things happen here in a long ass time. Par for the course.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:42 AM   #1102
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Sorry for the last post........... I've been pretty depressed lately. I went to the polls last night in the pouring rain. Long line up before they closed. Got soaked. It was a miserable experience. It's coming up to four years since I lost my wife. I was ready to give up. This morning wasn't much better. I fell asleep watching some reruns. Not sure what it was, but I woke up to someone shaking me. It was my wife yelling at me and saying, "Stop being such a wimp and a needy snowflake!" When we got married some 40 years ago, she changed my life. She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #1103
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,293 Times in 2,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What do you think about Peter Mackay as leader of Cons?

And party develops a policy for climate change, be a bit more inclusive (LBGTQXYZ) ... that might tip them over to the winning side.
My impression of Peter Mackay has been generally positive. In particulary, I thought it was very respectable as well as politically wise of him to give up on the leadership race against Harper when the Progressive Conservative and the Canadian Alliance merged. His previous appointments in Harper's cabinet gave him good exposure to different aspects of the government. And while I don't remember any particular incident that stands out as being exemplary, somehow I seem to think I liked a number of things he did while he served as Justice Minister.

At any rate, he would be a far better person than Scheer to lead the Cons and act as their public face. Scheer just doesn't have the same presence as Mackay, and has said too many things that just makes people do a double take and look at him weird. It'd be a welcome change to see him gone.

Another interesting bit that I remember was his failed relationship with Belinda Stronach. For the most part, I thought he kept his mouth shut after his break up with Stronach, which was likely the smart thing to do. At the same time, it was obvious he was bitter. The "dog" comment he made was not at all appropriate, and I hope he had apologized to Stronach privately. But in that state of mind at the time, it was at least understandable.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #1104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Hard to Say. NDP might not want the pipeline and since NDP leaders is in Bby if he works with Lib to pass the pipeline he can kiss good bye to his seat next election unless the Libs promise something that will greatly benefit Bby.

Greens will not work with Libs in anyway to get the pipeline built. And why would the Cons help Libs build the pipeline.
Considering the cons swept the heavy Oil & Gas producing regions, I can't imagine it would look too good on them to prevent it from being constructed...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #1105
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
For anyone who doesn’t regularly drive up the coquihalla or further east, there are literally dozens of empty clearings FILlED with pipe, like thousands and thousands of feet worth every hundred KM’s or so

It’s going in.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #1106
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Considering the cons swept the heavy Oil & Gas producing regions, I can't imagine it would look too good on them to prevent it from being constructed...
Cons could easily ask the Libs for something the Libs won't budge to trade for support to build the pipeline IE increasing the mortgage to 30 years and getting rib of the stress test or getting rib of foreign tax on housing.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #1107
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
If you paid attention to only the noise surrounding them, then yes.
But their policies were derived almost entirely from the reform party platform.

Oh well. That's our democracy.
We'll be seeing 1 million fresh liberal voters every term, as that conversation becomes more and more difficult to have.

That is Jaswinder Singh Dilawari. He came to Canada as an immigrant 5 years ago and runs a immigration company. He was the candidate for the PPC in Surrey Centre. Your hate for immigration is telling.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #1108
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^
That there is an Uncle Tom.
Like the Mexicans who support Trump "I'm already here, so let's build the wall!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
If you paid attention to only the noise surrounding them, then yes.
But their policies were derived almost entirely from the reform party platform.

Oh well. That's our democracy.
We'll be seeing 1 million fresh liberal voters every term, as that conversation becomes more and more difficult to have.
It's not what they said, however it's the fact that the changes that the PPC proposed were leap years beyond what a 4 year gov't is capable of doing in Canada, in 2019.

I liked what they were saying. It made sense to me. That said, I'm a white male born in Canada, so maybe my views are different than those of a native, immigrant, or visible minority. I wanted the changes based on my own selfish desires, and the same can be said for everyone else. Exactly as you said, as time comes the immigration conversation will become tougher to talk about. As our country becomes far more diverse than it already is. But it's already hard to talk about considering that 1/4 of our population is made up of immigrants, many of which have been here for 10+ years. It was clear to me early that shit wasn't going to fly. That's why a PPC vote was a wasted vote, or even worse, a vote taken away from the Tories.

Plus, you never go against climate change. Whether or not it's real and/or manmade, it's a hot topic right now. To outright deny it exists makes one sound like a neanderthal. This isn't the US with it's large population of low IQ inhabitants. As dumb as some of them are, the vast majority of Canadians are too smart to fall for that garbage.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #1109

Here is the nominating committee For the PPC Surrey centre.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #1110
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
This whole election process is meh. As long as the government changes after two terms I feel like that's the best thing for our country.

Every party has the benefits, so changing it up regularly is a good thing. Hopefully, someone else will take the thrown next time.

I'm okay with Trudeau, I wish Jagmeet Singh was a Liberal or Conservative, if he was he'd win a majority for sure! I really like that guy, seems like a genuine guy that knows french!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #1111
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

That is Jaswinder Singh Dilawari. He came to Canada as an immigrant 5 years ago and runs a immigration company. He was the candidate for the PPC in Surrey Centre. Your hate for immigration is telling.
I don't have any hate for immigration, as you seem to insist. Or where people come from for that matter; so long as they're generally peaceful, law abiding, and hard working. Which most immigrants are.
My worry is the systems that are clearly stretched by an increasing population. Healthcare, housing, infrastructure, etc.
It just didn't make much sense to me that bringing more people in would help these issues.
His plan was lower overall immigration by half, but double economic immigration. I thought that was sensible. More workers to help with a shortage, without the rapid population growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
^
That there is an Uncle Tom.
Like the Mexicans who support Trump "I'm already here, so let's build the wall!".

It's not what they said, however it's the fact that the changes that the PPC proposed were leap years beyond what a 4 year gov't is capable of doing in Canada, in 2019.

I liked what they were saying. It made sense to me. That said, I'm a white male born in Canada, so maybe my views are different than those of a native, immigrant, or visible minority. I wanted the changes based on my own selfish desires, and the same can be said for everyone else. Exactly as you said, as time comes the immigration conversation will become tougher to talk about. As our country becomes far more diverse than it already is. But it's already hard to talk about considering that 1/4 of our population is made up of immigrants, many of which have been here for 10+ years. It was clear to me early that shit wasn't going to fly. That's why a PPC vote was a wasted vote, or even worse, a vote taken away from the Tories.

Plus, you never go against climate change. Whether or not it's real and/or manmade, it's a hot topic right now. To outright deny it exists makes one sound like a neanderthal. This isn't the US with it's large population of low IQ inhabitants. As dumb as some of them are, the vast majority of Canadians are too smart to fall for that garbage.
Yeah, the stance on climate change issue didn't help his party. Same with his insistence to repeal the multicultural act. Those two were easy pickings for the media. And the latter no doubt attracted some racist elements. Even if that wasn't the intention. They're difficult things to talk about. A lot of fine lines that could easily be blurred.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 10-22-2019 at 11:34 AM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #1112

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Cons could easily ask the Libs for something the Libs won't budge to trade for support to build the pipeline IE increasing the mortgage to 30 years and getting rib of the stress test or getting rib of foreign tax on housing.
I don't see how the cons putting up any ultimatums/roadblocks which would threaten the pipeline construction would do anything but damage their support in those provinces.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #1113

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Hailey Clark, the NDP candidate of the Regina-Wascana riding, only manged 3rd, but I'd like to stuff her ballot box.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #1114

Jason kenny about to speak on the election.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #1115
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Hailey Clark, the NDP candidate of the Regina-Wascana riding, only manged 3rd, but I'd like to stuff her ballot box.

Really??
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #1116
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i dont have to pay 45% carbon tax and support the saudi by pumping south, sounds like a win to me

yes it's unfortunate the crude there is tankered up/down the coast, but beats giving energy to China
Quote:
better 'us' than 'them'

please AB, turn off the taps...see if i care...we might actually get less congestion on our roads
So let's recap. You're against the Alberta O&G economy and by extension the Canadian economy. You support the Alaskan O&G economy but not the tankers that make it possible. You're against climate change but don't want to help phase Asia off coal, the #1 producer of GHG. You're against climate change but don't want to pay the carbon tax. You don't support O&G but you want cheap gas. In fact you'll drive further, across a border, to buy cheap gas subsidized by Alberta because your local gas is too expensive. You say 'better us than them' while supporting them - buying our gas in their country and supporting their tax base not ours. You want Alberta to 'turn off the taps' thus cutting off your own cheap gas and want the cost of living to skyrocket for yourself and everyone else. By the way Saudi gas only comes in the East because Quebec blocked the Energy East pipeline - so you don't even know where your supply is from.

In summary, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Z E R O. You don't have a coherent position on anything, all you've done is contradict yourself. At least JMac knew to stop posting when he backed himself in to corner. The number of ignorant hypocrites in SW BC just blows me away.
JD¹³ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #1117

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post

Really??
Yes really:

This might shock you, but not everyone on RS shares your interest in JT.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #1118
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Should check out the Conservative candidate for my riding. Claire Rattee. She owns a Tattoo and Piercing business in Kitimat.

Berz out.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #1119
HELP ME PLS!!!

Our problem starts with us vs them.
Quote:
better 'us' than 'them'

please AB, turn off the taps...see if i care...we might actually get less congestion on our roads
Also, the finest out of ass talking I've seen on this forum in a looong time.

Last edited by DragonChi; 10-22-2019 at 06:50 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #1120
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,804 Times in 3,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD¹³ View Post
So let's recap. You're against the Alberta O&G economy and by extension the Canadian economy. You support the Alaskan O&G economy but not the tankers that make it possible. You're against climate change but don't want to help phase Asia off coal, the #1 producer of GHG. You're against climate change but don't want to pay the carbon tax. You don't support O&G but you want cheap gas. In fact you'll drive further, across a border, to buy cheap gas subsidized by Alberta because your local gas is too expensive. You say 'better us than them' while supporting them - buying our gas in their country and supporting their tax base not ours. You want Alberta to 'turn off the taps' thus cutting off your own cheap gas and want the cost of living to skyrocket for yourself and everyone else. By the way Saudi gas only comes in the East because Quebec blocked the Energy East pipeline - so you don't even know where your supply is from.
i'm not against pipelines, but i'm fucking white on rice if it means China is starved from Canadian crude

have we not learned anything from the Huawei case? we should not be relying more on China and continue to distance them

also not feeling great about even more tankers on our coast, any given sunday there's already a crap ton of traffic out of our port...english bay view is pretty disgusting

took a zodiac up the west coast of the island last week (carbon neutral operator but yes gasp it burns gas = hypocrite!!1) and it was a reminder of what's at stake

you're assuming i only drive south for gas...but yes if AB can turn the taps off without miraculously shooting themselves in the foot economically then my dining out bill will go up...for almost everything else I've relied off cross-border. If AB raises the price then WA will source from many of other pipelines, yes Saudi prices still very much dictate what we pay

recap: dont want a shitty sunset view, dont want our waterways at more risk for decade+ to clean up, don't want to pay buck ninety for winter blend when a barrel is fucking 50$, don't want to support Ottawa more than my income taxes, yes i'm selfish and tired of the complacency, deal with it

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-22-2019 at 09:41 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #1121

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
^

I think Canada as a whole should rethink our reliance on petro-related production. It's really a sunset industry. The single biggest source of demand for oil, the very thing this forum is based on is turning.

With so many major economies announcing plans to outright ban sales of ICE cars, with more to come...all in a timeline that's well within our lifetime, we should be turning AWAY from it and think what we can do in term of "product" that we can offer.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #1122
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

People think that petroleum = gas for cars but gas is a byproduct of refining petrol. Only about 46% of it is used for gasoline. The rest of it goes to other uses like lubricants, plastics, asphalt, medicine, etc...

If we all drove electric cars, the demand for oil will still be there. We'll just have a glut of gasoline that we'll have to find another use for or find some way of disposing it.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #1123

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
You know that if demand drops that substantially we’d probably make less of it and acquire less of the required substances from the ground as opposed to “finding a way of disposing of it.”
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #1124
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Excavators and dump trucks ain’t running on electricity any time soon.

Obviously we have to get away from fossil fuels, but we have to use the ducking resources we have a mass supply of to make that transition. We can’t just leave oil in the ground and twiddle our thumbs thinking we can back an economy on sunshine and good feelings ffs...

I think a big problem is the way this message is portrayed to the general public and the fact that most are too stupid to understand it on their own.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #1125
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

The demand for gasoline may go down but the demand for the other 54% won't. We still need to pave roads, we still need medicine, tires, plastics, etc... You name a product and petroleum is either in it or was used to manufacture it. We can't extract what we need from petroleum without being left with gasoline.

We're seeing something similar happening in the cattle industry. Turns out people love to eat beef but they hate wearing it thanks to the PETA people. There's a glut of cow hides as a result and farmers don't know what to do with them. The lower demand in leather didn't lower the demand for beef. Kind of ironic that people are opting for pleathers instead that are made from oil.

Initially, oil was refined for kerosene for lamps and stoves. The rest was just discarded.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 10-23-2019 at 01:30 PM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote