REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Getting into motorcycles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669568-getting-into-motorcycles.html)

tdeweyn 06-14-2012 01:57 PM

Getting into motorcycles

So I've done a little research and this is what I came up with.

So I'm getting interested in motorcycles and my parents actually agreed to let me (turning 18 in 2 weeks). So I'm just thinking about things I may need to do to get this rolling.

So how does it work for ICBC? I have my N currently so what do I have to do to get my bike license? Is it the same as the original learned test at ICBC?

I'm going to partake in some lessons if I do end up going for a bike. One of the bike schools that was stated here was the PRS. Would that be the most recommended school?

And if I was to get a bike. What would be some reliable names? I know Honda, Kawaski, Suzuki and some others but I'm not quite sure what a beginner should get. I know 250 CC would be a smart choice since I don't think il be needing anything stronger any time soon.

Any words of advice for a beginner?

Thanks.

Alphamale 06-14-2012 02:15 PM

PRS is a great school. Go to bcsportbikes.com and do more research.

In my opinion you're too young to be on a motorcycle and you'll probably end up dead like most young people with no prior road experience .

CharlieH 06-14-2012 02:44 PM

^

LOL WTF

CharlieH 06-14-2012 02:51 PM

but in all seriousness, alphamale does make a good point. riding a motorcycle is very dangerous and it requires you to always be on your game. this means having sufficient experience on the road(in a car) so you know how to handle certain situations. since you haven't even had your N for a year yet, it's probably safe to say that your road sense isn't up to par to be riding a motorcycle. but if you're completely set on riding then take the necessary measures to protect yourself - starting with PRS.

noventa 06-14-2012 04:03 PM

well at least the good part about going to PRS is that they will teach you some road sense stuff for motorcycles that may be invaluable to you

hillmar 06-14-2012 06:14 PM

Start with getting yourself the twist of the wrist 2.... it will give you a real good start in motorcycling. (Helps, so you don't develop bad habits off the get go) Then take everything you've learned and apply it when you take your coarse and when you buy your first bike. Trust me.... I've learned tons off that book. Here is the intro for it.....

tdeweyn 06-14-2012 06:59 PM

I don't think age depends that much, I mean majority of the people who get injured were either unlucky, or they just really weren't paying attention. I know as time goes by, people mature more (or not) but I'm pretty set on getting a bike. It's only for fun at this moment. I've been drag racing at Mission Race Way for my school, but this year was a no go since the weather was terrible and the teacher strike.

All right, so it seems like PRS is a pretty good school.

Any idea what bike I should get?

I did some research and I think a 250CC bike is fairly good for a beginner (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks,

fd3 06-14-2012 07:25 PM

^ for the what bike to get question

Glaedr 06-14-2012 07:30 PM

You also have to remember that you are still an "N" driver so it will take you another 3 years to get your full class 6 license... (ICBC link for motorcycle license if you're an "N" driver ICBC | Getting a motorcycle licence (new drivers))

I would also recommend that you drive a bit more and get more road experience, maybe get your class 5 first. It might even be faster to get your full class 6 once you get your class 5 (30 days vs 3 years).

hillmar 06-14-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uglydewey (Post 7947714)
I don't think age depends that much, I mean majority of the people who get injured were either unlucky, or they just really weren't paying attention. I know as time goes by, people mature more (or not) but I'm pretty set on getting a bike. It's only for fun at this moment. I've been drag racing at Mission Race Way for my school, but this year was a no go since the weather was terrible and the teacher strike.

All right, so it seems like PRS is a pretty good school.

Any idea what bike I should get?

I did some research and I think a 250CC bike is fairly good for a beginner (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks,

250CC seems to be the recommended bike for beginners. I really don't know, since I started out with a CBR600 F4. But that was over 10 years ago.

Alphamale 06-14-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uglydewey (Post 7947714)
I don't think age depends that much, I mean majority of the people who get injured were either unlucky, or they just really weren't paying attention.

This clearly shows how young you are.

I don't want to be an asshole and I'm not your parent...but you are too young, sir. We've all been there and we know what you're going through but we also know our advice falls on deaf ears. We don't get old for no reason.

Riding a (sport) motorcycle is nothing like driving a car, even a sports car. You will do things you thought "that'll never be me". There's something about crotch-rockets that makes people who are riding them go fast. Just look at CharlieH, comes back from racing school and tries to drag knee on the Arthur Liang bridge entrance to Richmond (LOL, not shitting on you bro, I try to do it too!). One thing Kramer (an excellent racer and instructor from PRS) said is that he has a Harley for a reason, to keep him in line on the street. Despite saying this, he rode the school's FZR and happened to be tailing one of my class mates (agressively). My classmate said that Kramer was riding hard and fast. You see, even an experienced racer and instructor goes by the "do as I say not as I do" adage. Riding a 250 will help curb a lot of this...to some extent before you feel bored (or other various reasons) and want to upgrade to a 600cc+.

This is my last post in this thread, so I won't shit on it anymore. Good luck, bruh.

RabidRat 06-15-2012 12:28 AM

Just go to PRS first, and they'll give you tons of advice on what to get.

90% of the people in my class there didn't have a bike yet and had no idea what they wanted at all, let alone how to tell one type of bike from another (they'll walk you through it all during class)

After you finish the course you'll have a very good idea of what you can handle and what best fits your riding style.

CharlieH 06-15-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale (Post 7947870)
Just look at CharlieH, comes back from racing school and tries to drag knee on the Arthur Liang bridge entrance to Richmond (LOL, not shitting on you bro, I try to do it too!).

hey hey now. it happened BEFORE the superbike school, not after. Now i just noob it up and crash on the track instead of public roads lolol.

beanzzz 06-15-2012 03:28 AM

Sorry, but how are you paying for the motorcycle? I'm guessing since you have your N you also have a car? Unless you have a full-time job already or a bunch of money saved up I wouldn't even recommend getting a motorcycle. The cost of insurance, especially for new riders, gear, gas, maintenance, storage, etc., quickly adds up. If your parents are going to pay for it, then your definitely not mature enough and shouldn't get one.

dink 06-15-2012 06:52 AM

LIke most of the people here are saying, you need more on road experience before you get a bike. If anything happens, you, the rider is always the loser. You get into an accident... they break the bumper, you break your leg.

Why not drive a couple of years first? That also gives your insurance time to accumulate discount so your 2nd choice of transportation is cheaper on insurance!

I'm 25, been driving since 17, wanted class 6 when i was 18 but I just got my class 6 a month ago. And believe me... there are lots of morons on the road. I'm glad i waited to get my class 6.

corollagtSr5 06-15-2012 11:10 AM

I agree, lots of idiots who don't notice motorcycle's. You have to almost anticipate that everyone can't see you when riding in the city. Also your horn becomes your best friend. Most people who are young are also dumb when it comes to speeding. This is where a car is more forgiving because you have a force field of metal to make up for your mistakes of being young and dumb. I look back when I was young and I loved speeding. I got suspended 3 out of 4 times. Now that I'm 28, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket for 10 years. I also ride a gsxr600, first bike. I'm sure if I got my bike when I was younger, I would have done something stupid and hurt myself or even worse someone else. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. HAHAHA now check out these kids with their dirt bikes.

Vale46Rossi 06-15-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieH (Post 7948112)
hey hey now. it happened BEFORE the superbike school, not after. Now i just noob it up and crash on the track instead of public roads lolol.

bahhahahahaha

gdoh 06-15-2012 11:32 AM

im in the same boat as you OP, ive been seriously looking into getting on a bike :)

im only 23 with 5 years driving xp not much but i think enough to get a handle on how stupid people are and what to/not do on the road. i agree with alphamale with being to young and inexperienced, you probably wont listen so just get 250cc and sell it next year for almost the same price

have you looked into gear? it is pretty costly

EDIT: one more thing, if you ever feel like riding without gear go look up some pics on skin grafts

Naka San 06-15-2012 01:04 PM

everything comes with seat time, even with driving. Its not about you, its about the people around you. More experience on the road including driving can help detect weird behavior around you and could possibly prevent an accident. I am not saying you shouldn't ride, but its your choice. Come down and drive around richmond if you have ur licence for a front line battlefield experience.

tdeweyn 06-15-2012 01:58 PM

I said I was getting into motorcycles but I never said that I would be riding one any time soon. It was just interesting for me.

My parents won't be paying for any of my stuff. I would be paying for it with my own money in the future. I'm just trying to rake in some information and what I would need.

And I do admit, getting more experience on the road would be key.

Just wondering though is it essential to learn how to drive manual? Would it help to ride motorcycles?

dink 06-15-2012 02:54 PM

If you're not getting a bike any time soon your mind can change in the future. If a friend or family member dies or gets seriously injured due to a motorcycle accident, that will definitely affect your decision.

Do you know how to ride a bike? PRS and other school will not let you continue to take the course if you do not know how to balance on two wheels.

Driving standard is good knowledge, it gives you a general idea of how the clutch and gears work together but its not a must know before learning to ride a motorcycle.

xerograv 06-15-2012 05:25 PM

My advice for getting into a bike is go with a CBR 125, ride the shit out of it this summer and then sell it in the spring, go up to a CBR250 and ride it for 2 seasons and then when you get your full, go pick up a 600cc, but don't start off the hop on a 250, you can still kill yourself on a sportbike. It takes time and patience, speed kills, anyone can go fast, learn to ride slow and don't lane split and you'll do fine.

FS1992EG 06-15-2012 08:09 PM

I think you should get an older 600cc cbr, r6, gixxer, or kawi

CharlieH 06-15-2012 08:16 PM

a ninja250 is actually a great bike to start on. it makes all its power up top, and is very tame and forgiving below 10k rpm. plus it looks good, handles well, and has a comfortable seating position.

Vale46Rossi 06-15-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieH (Post 7948844)
a ninja250 is actually a great bike to start on. it makes all its power up top, and is very tame and forgiving below 10k rpm. plus it looks good, handles well, and has a comfortable seating position.

I went the wrong way :(