REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   Cyclical Relationships (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669569-cyclical-relationships.html)

sweetiee 06-14-2012 02:13 PM

Cyclical Relationships

Do they ever work out? Or is research/science right about the fact that these relationships never go anywhere good?

Berzerker 06-14-2012 02:41 PM

Perhaps you can enlighten us on what a cyclical relationship is so we don't have to google it and then we can give you an opinion?

Berz out.

sweetiee 06-14-2012 03:00 PM

ummm... couples that break up, get back together, break up, and get back together, and the cycle continues...

JKam 06-14-2012 03:17 PM

do you seriously even have to ask...? I don't think you need research or science to tell you, more like common sense.

4nik8 06-14-2012 03:41 PM

Ronnie and Sammi are together again so maybe...

vafanculo 06-14-2012 03:46 PM

They work out because you are both weak people who are afraid to move on and stand on your own. They work out because you need each other, even though you aren't happy overall.

Berzerker 06-14-2012 03:49 PM

They work until one of you finds someone else. If your constantly breaking up the relationship is over your both just to comfortable to realize it.

Berz out.

dinosaur 06-14-2012 07:04 PM

They are no good. Once I am done, I am done.

If I wasn't good the first time around, I'm not good for you the second time and vice versa.

Gridlock 06-14-2012 07:24 PM

Yeah, I broke up and got back together and that final year was just...pointless.

If you are done, call it.

LiquidTurbo 06-14-2012 09:01 PM

Ross and Rachel

Noir 06-14-2012 10:10 PM

Never heard of it as "cyclical relationships"; always as "on-again-off-again" relationships or am I just getting too old now?

Verdasco 06-14-2012 11:36 PM

Yes it works

sweetiee 06-15-2012 12:23 PM

really?? no one's been through one that works? :S i guess it's only in movies. and i shouldn't be surprised really
thanks guys.

Noir 06-15-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiee (Post 7948438)
really?? no one's been through one that works? :S i guess it's only in movies. and i shouldn't be surprised really
thanks guys.

TBH, I've only ever seen it in highschool. It's a rare phenomenon for mature relationships.

I say this because when I observed it, parties to a relationship oftenly use the threat/or act of breaking up as leverage in an argument or fight; and almost always, when the tempers cool down, they always get back together within days or a week.

It's my primary observation for couples who constantly break-up and get back together. It's quite a silly practice.

!Yaminashi 06-15-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 7948533)
TBH, I've only ever seen it in highschool. It's a rare phenomenon for mature relationships.

I say this because when I observed it, parties to a relationship oftenly use the threat/or act of breaking up as leverage in an argument or fight; and almost always, when the tempers cool down, they always get back together within days or a week.

It's my primary observation for couples who constantly break-up and get back together. It's quite a silly practice.

Yep, I havent seen any first hand but someone on my facebook is ALWAYS breaking up with their S/O and getting back together.

It's become a pattern with their past S/O's as well. Needless to say, their relationships never seem to last past a certain point.

:facepalm:

pinn3r 06-15-2012 02:47 PM

I've been with my gf for 2 years now, and just recently within the past 4-5 months we've been harsh on/off
I would sometimes straight up cut her from my life out of temporary anger, delete her off bbm, delete her off fb, etc and just not talk to her, but she'd constantly call/text me until I finally gave in. We would then discuss our problems, express our love for each other, and call it a night
During the 2-3 days I was 'single', I started talking to a female friend of mine and thought I would have a chance with her, but all I could do was fool myself. Of course, getting over a loved one requires time
I realize that I'm still crazy over her, and she's still crazy over me. We both realize that we complete each other, so we stick together. Even though she knew I had flirted with another girl, she chose to look past it

All in all, it could work out if both partners truly love each other, but there aren't any guarantees. This is just based off my experience

p.s. don't mix research/science with love lol that's a load of shit

Noir 06-15-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 7948563)
I've been with my gf for 2 years now, and just recently within the past 4-5 months we've been harsh on/off
I would sometimes straight up cut her from my life out of temporary anger, delete her off bbm, delete her off fb, etc and just not talk to her, but she'd constantly call/text me until I finally gave in. We would then discuss our problems, express our love for each other, and call it a night
During the 2-3 days I was 'single', I started talking to a female friend of mine and thought I would have a chance with her, but all I could do was fool myself. Of course, getting over a loved one requires time
I realize that I'm still crazy over her, and she's still crazy over me. We both realize that we complete each other, so we stick together. Even though she knew I had flirted with another girl, she chose to look past it

All in all, it could work out if both partners truly love each other, but there aren't any guarantees. This is just based off my experience

p.s. don't mix research/science with love lol that's a load of shit

I'm curious. If you really really cared about her, how could you put her through all those things simply out of momentary anger?

pinn3r 06-15-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 7948581)
If you really really cared about her, how could you do all those things to her all out of momentary anger?

Anger, disagreements, fights are all parts of a relationship; relationships constitute both good times and bad, not just good times. So I'm just wondering, what motivates you to put someone you care about through all those things?

I'm a really hot-tempered guy .. I feel like shit afterwards of course; that's why I always give in and pick up her calls
Sometimes I act without even thinking, especially when I'm choked as fuuuuuuuuuck

dinosaur 06-15-2012 05:13 PM

^ummmm...ever think about getting help for this shit?

good things never occur when people react like this...

sweetiee 06-20-2012 07:54 AM

sigh... love is sooo blinnnnndd...
some people feed off of this "cycle". it's almost as if they get pleasure out of doing this. maybe it makes things more interesting? some couples are effed up that way.. and if both of them are effed up, then that should work out. :P