REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Getting Back Into Working Out/Cardio (https://www.revscene.net/forums/670631-getting-back-into-working-out-cardio.html)

Lomac 07-08-2012 02:27 PM

Getting Back Into Working Out/Cardio

I used to be in fantastic shape. I could do the Grouse Grind in roughly 45 minutes, I would be able to run for miles without needing to pause for breath, I actually had a pretty well defined body, etc. I think you get the point. I didn't do a lot of working out at the gym; I'd merely do martial arts for two hours every day, half of which was cardio/working out stuff. However, my career at the time forced me away from martial arts and away from pretty much any form of exercising. As a result, I lost pretty much everything I had worked up over the years. I do physical labour so my upper body strength is pretty decent, but my cardio has gone to shit. I played soft ball yesterday at a company function and... fuck, that was a wake up call. I had trouble simply running around all the bases! :lol Now, I smoked for a few years and recently quit, but I don't have asthma. I'm simply that out of shape.

I've set myself a goal for finishing the Grouse Grind in under 1.5 hours before the end of summer, but I'm having trouble trying to get myself back into a semi-decent cardio shape before tackling it. What sort of activities or exercises do you guys recommend to get me started? I tried a relatively semi-intensive workout the other day and felt like throwing up after about ten minutes :lol

Any help would be appreciated.

pinn3r 07-08-2012 02:48 PM

ease back into it?

i did the same thing - took wrestling for 2 years & could run 4 laps around my school's field for 7-8 minutes no problem, then quit all cardio whatsoever, got lazy in p.e & smoked for a year and a half and could barely make 11 minutes

just keep doing what you're doing now and it'll build up
always challenge yourself and go harder every time though, because w/o struggle there's no progress

XplicitLuder 07-08-2012 03:44 PM

obvs you have the right idea. And as pinner said, EASE back into it. I use to run 4 laps around my track in just under 9, last time i checked it took me aobut..12 something and needed to pause lol. So what i told myself is just ease back into it. don't go and run 4 laps in one day, start with 1, and work from there. Do little by little, but keep upping the stakes or w/e you're trying to achieve. What i use to do at my gym was when i was in top shape (still fat/big but had a decent endurance) i was able to jog for 30mins straight, then i injured my knee, took time off , etc etc and could barely do 15mins lol

So what i did was one day i did 5mins, then next day 6mins, then next day 7mins...you get the idea and eventually i'll be back up there :) slow n steady wins the race!

BossFrancis 07-08-2012 03:57 PM

Find out your most comfortable speed and build upon that. Get out of your comfort zone and run at a faster pace but don't stop until you are at some checkpoint or mark. Personally I like running laps around a track, first of all it isn't an incline or decline of any kind and you can easily track your times by the lines. Whenever I run a lap I try to beat the previous lap by 10 seconds. You mentioned that you did a physical labour job, so don't be afraid to sweat, just remember to stay hydrated.

NOTE: If you have a heart condition please render the above advice as useless because I do not know anything pertaining to that and it may cause you bodily harm.

red_sir 07-08-2012 04:08 PM

If you're out of shape you should first work on building up your aerobic base conditioning through long and slow cardio (30+ mins). This means whatever activity you choose to do (running, cycling, whatever) you need to do so at an easy pace. You should be able to carry a conversation during exercising without being out of breath. This might be jogging at a pace barely faster than walking. It might even just be a brisk walk but the goal is to be active for a longer period of time. After you build up your aerobic conditioning, you can start incorporating higher intensity workouts.

And of course do not neglect your diet. Dropping excess weight will make everything, from running to grouse grind, so much easier

Shades 07-08-2012 04:46 PM

Perhaps try group classes or do the grind with others. If you're anything like me, seeing others do the same activity I naturally want to be better than them. That will keep you motivated to strive for better results every time. I'm competitive.

Try bicycling for commute, too.

vafanculo 07-08-2012 06:20 PM

Try using a treadmill. Easier on your knees at first, and it will ease you into the real thing eventually down the road.

Even when I was at my absolute worst (300 pounds), I was able to get back into it by running 20 some-odd minutes on the treadmill. That helped increase my cardio base for other activities.

penner2k 07-08-2012 10:36 PM

I'd just start doing the grind as often as you can. Your job is physical. Well try to push yourself to work harder at work.

instantneedles 07-14-2012 01:20 AM

Well your job is concerned with physical labour so that basically demands alot of you in terms of your anaerobic capacity. Correct me if im wrong, but youre probably working long ass shifts and will most likely be drained of energy at the end of the day. Cardio is going to take the life outta you so you wanna stay hydrated and get your meals in during the day. Get your carbs, fats and protein in every meal, and at the end of the day, you just might have the energy you need for a good cardio workout.

Anything that involves repeated movements for a long duration of time will work your cardiovascular endurance to some degree. For starters, try the elliptical.. Its a great low-impact way of getting your cardio in, and is a great way to transition back into the cardio training. Stairmaster is also good. Because you havent done cardio for such a long time, your physiology probably wont be used to the repetitive impact of running and jogging just yet. If you need some more info, hit me up with a PM. Im also a certified personal trainer, so if youre interested, i could offer a few sessions for you at a really low rate. Let me know!