REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Getting Back Into Working Out/Cardio

I used to be in fantastic shape. I could do the Grouse Grind in roughly 45 minutes, I would be able to run for miles without needing to pause for breath, I actually had a pretty well defined body, etc. I think you get the point. I didn't do a lot of working out at the gym; I'd merely do martial arts for two hours every day, half of which was cardio/working out stuff. However, my career at the time forced me away from martial arts and away from pretty much any form of exercising. As a result, I lost pretty much everything I had worked up over the years. I do physical labour so my upper body strength is pretty decent, but my cardio has gone to shit. I played soft ball yesterday at a company function and... fuck, that was a wake up call. I had trouble simply running around all the bases! Now, I smoked for a few years and recently quit, but I don't have asthma. I'm simply that out of shape.

I've set myself a goal for finishing the Grouse Grind in under 1.5 hours before the end of summer, but I'm having trouble trying to get myself back into a semi-decent cardio shape before tackling it. What sort of activities or exercises do you guys recommend to get me started? I tried a relatively semi-intensive workout the other day and felt like throwing up after about ten minutes

Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
ease back into it?

i did the same thing - took wrestling for 2 years & could run 4 laps around my school's field for 7-8 minutes no problem, then quit all cardio whatsoever, got lazy in p.e & smoked for a year and a half and could barely make 11 minutes

just keep doing what you're doing now and it'll build up
always challenge yourself and go harder every time though, because w/o struggle there's no progress
pinn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
obvs you have the right idea. And as pinner said, EASE back into it. I use to run 4 laps around my track in just under 9, last time i checked it took me aobut..12 something and needed to pause lol. So what i told myself is just ease back into it. don't go and run 4 laps in one day, start with 1, and work from there. Do little by little, but keep upping the stakes or w/e you're trying to achieve. What i use to do at my gym was when i was in top shape (still fat/big but had a decent endurance) i was able to jog for 30mins straight, then i injured my knee, took time off , etc etc and could barely do 15mins lol

So what i did was one day i did 5mins, then next day 6mins, then next day 7mins...you get the idea and eventually i'll be back up there slow n steady wins the race!

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Find out your most comfortable speed and build upon that. Get out of your comfort zone and run at a faster pace but don't stop until you are at some checkpoint or mark. Personally I like running laps around a track, first of all it isn't an incline or decline of any kind and you can easily track your times by the lines. Whenever I run a lap I try to beat the previous lap by 10 seconds. You mentioned that you did a physical labour job, so don't be afraid to sweat, just remember to stay hydrated.

NOTE: If you have a heart condition please render the above advice as useless because I do not know anything pertaining to that and it may cause you bodily harm.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
I LOVE SQWAT

If you're out of shape you should first work on building up your aerobic base conditioning through long and slow cardio (30+ mins). This means whatever activity you choose to do (running, cycling, whatever) you need to do so at an easy pace. You should be able to carry a conversation during exercising without being out of breath. This might be jogging at a pace barely faster than walking. It might even just be a brisk walk but the goal is to be active for a longer period of time. After you build up your aerobic conditioning, you can start incorporating higher intensity workouts.

And of course do not neglect your diet. Dropping excess weight will make everything, from running to grouse grind, so much easier
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Perhaps try group classes or do the grind with others. If you're anything like me, seeing others do the same activity I naturally want to be better than them. That will keep you motivated to strive for better results every time. I'm competitive.

Try bicycling for commute, too.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Try using a treadmill. Easier on your knees at first, and it will ease you into the real thing eventually down the road.

Even when I was at my absolute worst (300 pounds), I was able to get back into it by running 20 some-odd minutes on the treadmill. That helped increase my cardio base for other activities.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

I'd just start doing the grind as often as you can. Your job is physical. Well try to push yourself to work harder at work.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Well your job is concerned with physical labour so that basically demands alot of you in terms of your anaerobic capacity. Correct me if im wrong, but youre probably working long ass shifts and will most likely be drained of energy at the end of the day. Cardio is going to take the life outta you so you wanna stay hydrated and get your meals in during the day. Get your carbs, fats and protein in every meal, and at the end of the day, you just might have the energy you need for a good cardio workout.

Anything that involves repeated movements for a long duration of time will work your cardiovascular endurance to some degree. For starters, try the elliptical.. Its a great low-impact way of getting your cardio in, and is a great way to transition back into the cardio training. Stairmaster is also good. Because you havent done cardio for such a long time, your physiology probably wont be used to the repetitive impact of running and jogging just yet. If you need some more info, hit me up with a PM. Im also a certified personal trainer, so if youre interested, i could offer a few sessions for you at a really low rate. Let me know!
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote