REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
ICBC CEO Jon Schubert resigning

Quote:
VICTORIA – Insurance Corporation of British Columbia CEO Jon Schubert will step down this November the corporation announced Thursday after a government audit revealed runaway costs for senior management at the organization.

The audit determined that the number of people earning over $200,000 has increased by 315 per cent in just the last five years.

It also found the corporation has handed out lavish signing bonuses of up to $40,000, has handed out up to $18,500 in annual perks for senior managers and paid one manager $4,500 per month in temporary accommodation when moving.

“There has been a significant increase in both the number of management staff and also the compensation since 2007,” Finance Minister Kevin Falcon said Thursday, adding this covered the time of an unprecedented global economic meltdown.

“That is something – the combination of more people and higher wages – that is both unacceptable and something that is going to change, and change very quickly.”

Falcon added that despite the troubling findings, ICBC has kept rate increases low, at an average of about 0.8 per cent over the last 10 years.

“I am pleased that ICBC has done a good job in keeping rates for drivers down overall,” he said.

In response, ICBC announced Thursday it will get rid of almost 200 employees over the next two years, the majority of which will be managers.

It said it hopes to return operating costs to 2008 levels, which it said would save about $50 million by the end of 2013.

The corporation added that while Schubert will leave the corporation in November, he will continue to collect his full salary as a paid consultant until June 2013.

In 2011, Schubert made $486,541 in total compensation.

Read more: ICBC CEO Jon Schubert resigning
Rates have increased by a small amount but maybe after firing all those managers rates can actually decrease? Or is that just a dream?
Advertisement
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I get the argument that you need competitive wages to retain the best and brightest, but a 315 per cent increase in the number of people earning over $200,000 in just the last five years seems a bit surprising. I wonder if these positions were closed competitions for internal staff or if they were open...
Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
so thats why everyones premiums went up 11% this year... hmm..
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Management salaries are definitely a bit excessive, but they alone represent a small drop in the bucket.

I reckon that fraudulent injury claims are more to blame for rising premiums than the inflated salaries of a few managers.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
I can't do the math in my head but what does a 315% increase mean in actual headcount? What's ICBC's total headcount?

Knowing what people get paid in the higher ends of management in the private sector the figures may or may not be high. Granted, this is a public institution so you'd expect slightly lower salaries compared to private sector.

This sounds like it's just for show like when David Hahn at BC Ferries was forced out.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Not a surprise that ICBC is full of crooks, hopefully the cut will bring the goods so to speak.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

This is why ICBC shouldn't have monopoly on basic insurance.
In the competitive free market, companies like this wouldn't be able to survive.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
So this week we single out ICBC...last month it was BC Ferries, and BC Hydro before that.

Let's go out on a limb here, and say the following:

Crown Corporations in BC are heavily bloated in a sense of entitlement and overspending on salaries and everything in between.

Do I have any doubt that you could look through Pavco, liquor or any other crown corp and find the same thing? No.

All this at the same time that there has been a net zero mandate operating for all the people that are actually out there DOING the work.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no lover of unions, gov't unions especially, but at the same time we are padding the management level with positions and pay, we're sticking it at the bottom end citing "current economic decisions"

FUCK!

The first thing they do is cite "we need decent pay to attract talent". Great. Show me the companies that you are competing with, pay wise, because here's the real deal. I can think of companies that laid people off, froze salaries and even rolled salaries back in 2008 just to be able to weather the recession. It would be nice if someone in gov't was willing to do the same. Fuck, I'd like to see the MLAs take a little 10% slice off the top just to show solidarity with the current program. Hell...make it 5%. Even better, maybe buy your own fucking coffee Christy, and leave it off the province credit card.

How dare this party make me actually want to vote for the NDP?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #9

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
It doesnt surprise me one bit, if anything $48x,xxx/yr is less than what I expected.

As for insurance premiums, I would like to see the car ownership population over the last 10 years compared to the premium increases.

That aside, reducing spending is just going to go towards more fraudulent injury claims...
So I am pretty sure we are not going to see a premium reduction

/end rant

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
This is why ICBC shouldn't have monopoly on basic insurance.
In the competitive free market, companies like this wouldn't be able to survive.
Insurance companies are in the business of making money and not paying out claims. Be careful what you wish for (unless of course you're a perfect driver and you never ever get into accidents.)

ICBC sucks if you have more than 2-3 cars and over 10 years of accident-free driving, but you know what? At least you can pick up the phone to file a claim 7 days a week and claim centres are available all over the province.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

The first thing they do is cite "we need decent pay to attract talent". Great. Show me the companies that you are competing with, pay wise, because here's the real deal. I can think of companies that laid people off, froze salaries and even rolled salaries back in 2008 just to be able to weather the recession. It would be nice if someone in gov't was willing to do the same. Fuck, I'd like to see the MLAs take a little 10% slice off the top just to show solidarity with the current program. Hell...make it 5%. Even better, maybe buy your own fucking coffee Christy, and leave it off the province credit card.

How dare this party make me actually want to vote for the NDP?
Are any of these businesses and organizations that laid off workers, and cut salaries prominent businesses in the province? Do they appear in BC Business' Top 100 companies in the province? These businesses and organizations on such lists are what Crown corporations have to compete with. But, on the other hand, there's the view that Crown corporations are useless and they should all be gutted, privatized, or sold like BC Ferries and BC Rail. Oh wait a minute...

Speaking of MLAs, their compensation is quite reasonable in my opinion. MLAs make a base salary of just over $101K, while the premier tops out at just over $191K. Sure, you have your idiots who get elected only because of their party affiliation, but some of the brighter politicians could easily make 2-3 times in the private sector. You know what Vancouver City Councillors make? Around 60K. 50% of RS makes that money at the age of 25. Why would anyone leave a job with decent security for a job in which you're lucky to survive 1 term and you're subjected to constant abuse from members of the public and media?

Last edited by Tapioca; 08-16-2012 at 10:34 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
The issue wasn't with the fact that ICBC employees people, its that they were audited and are laying off 200 managers.

Why the fuck does ICBC have that many managers to lay off?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

^because they probably promoted some to managers themselves LOL

It's about fricken time there's some dirt on found by the government about ICBC. Maybe they'll lose their reputation or something even though theirs is already bad
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
http://www.fin.gov.bc.ca/ocg/ias/pdf...eview_2012.pdf

holy fucking shit. This is fucking silly!

The media sugar coated this

Quote:
Prior to 2011, at least 90% of management received 100% or more
(from the 150% available) of the eligible bonus. For 2011, ICBC
adjusted their bonus structure, but still saw over 85% receive at
least 75% of their eligible bonus.

Bonus32  Review of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
Although ICBC introduced a financial trigger for the bonus plan
commencing in 2011, the target is unreasonably low. The trigger
requires ICBC to first achieve a corporate net income of $35 million
before allowing any bonus payments; ICBC has not had a net
income below $140M in any of the last five years
WHAT THE FUCK
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #15

Seriously this is why I don't like the idea about having a private owned automobile insurance company dominate a whole entire market for the province. It's like yes, there are benefits so that there's is at least some order in the insurance market, but this company is just asking for fraud sooner or later.

Unless the government controls and regulates and monitors this company extensively, it's going to be a greed trap in just a matter of time. And of course, someone to reveal them, but I mean even the government can create fraud or make some salary boosts and make it seem legit. I guess opening the insurance market might be a good thing about now or soon. Opinions?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
#savethemanuals

Well a free and open market is usually better for consumers.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Well a free and open market is usually better for consumers.
The US health care market called and wants you to be a spokesperson. Seriously, sometimes it's better to be private, sometimes it's better to be public.

In this case I'm firmly in the "car insurance should be public" camp. Example reason: ICBC spends millions each year in upgrading intersections (left turn bays, better signaling etc) that no private insurance company has an incentive to spend on (witness most American cities - their road safety is rubbish compared to us). ICBC's investment in road safety reduces insurance costs for all of us.

With ICBC you get a lot of public sector inefficiencies but you also get a lot of public sector benefits. (My friend from Ottawa was stunned at how little I pay for car insurance - $900/yr for my TSX)

Re: Salaries - $100k/yr is not a lot of money. Middle managers make that kind of money in the private sector and you could easily argue that a MLA has at least a similar level of responsibility.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #18

The insurance market is already half open - you just need to buy basic liability insurance from ICBC.

But, this thread needs someone to chime in about how Alberta under a fully private system has cheaper premiums. And I would like to know if these people receive the same level of service from their smaller, but cheaper insurer that ICBC provides.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

First of all, I don't work for ICBC and I don't like ICBC one bit, but the line

"The audit determined that the number of people earning over $200,000 has increased by 315 per cent in just the last five years."

Can be a bit misleading.
For example, "IF" 5 years ago, ICBC only had 1 person making over $200,000, now they have 4 people making over $200,000, that would mean a 300% increase. Plus, if those 3 people were making $199,999 5 years ago, you see how the newspaper can play with these numbers to stirr up some heat in the general public?

My point is, we need to see some actual numbers (i.e. how much money were the top 50 people making 5 years ago, and how much are they making now) before we all take our pitchforks and march to the nearest ICBC office.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

why does anyone at ICBC need to make over 200k... what do these guys do?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #21
Need to Seek Professional Help

^^^ Same can be said for a lot of companies :P
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The US health care market called and wants you to be a spokesperson. Seriously, sometimes it's better to be private, sometimes it's better to be public.
I did say usually. US healthcare is another can of worms altogether.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I did say usually. US healthcare is another can of worms altogether.
Yeah, sorry. I should have been clearer that I was just joking.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Legal counsel? (you will get more than a few at ICBC) Privacy Officers? Basically all positions that require a law degree would pay that much. That's common among crown corporations eg Lottery etc etc.

I am not sure about sense of entitlement because lawyers in those fields are few, they can easily earn the same amount at other corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
why does anyone at ICBC need to make over 200k... what do these guys do?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #25
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
so thats why everyones premiums went up 11% this year... hmm..
I don't believe your premiums increase is a direct result of ICBC manager raises. There are more factors than that, for one, increase in claims. There are more drivers on the road resulting in more claims that require material damage payouts and bodily injury payouts. The second factor is more fraudulent claims that result in investigations, lawsuits, and waste of tax payer dollars.

The way I see it is, if you have a buddy who got in a fender bender, feels fine but has an ICBC claim and is now trying to get more money just cause. They are basically the ones who are putting stress on the system, raising our rates, and commiting fraud by lying about their extent of their injuries.

If ICBC was to increase raises rates for the pure purpose of increasing their salary, heads would roll left and right. I definitely think it's unfair that managers make so much more money compared to the unionized staff who are the front line workers keeping the company afloat. I also find it unfair that their bonuses and raises are not implemented to reduce premiums instead.

As some people have already said, ICBC puts tons of money into the community trying to improve streets, awareness, and overall safety. I agree that some ads may seem like a waste of money compared to other campaigns but they do try to put the money back where it belongs.

Being an ICBC employee and a tax payer, it sucks that our rates go up but what can you do? Everything around us, prices are going up (hydro, carbon tax, property tax, gas) and hopefully in the future our rates can be lowered as a result of a better economy and cost cutting measures.

**Disclaimer**
The contents of this post reflect the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official views or policy of ICBC.

Last edited by Zordon; 08-17-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Zordon is offline   Reply With Quote