REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
If you look at the disposable income available after paying for education, reasonable house and car payments. There's just 70k left, which really is not a lot to cover clothing for four, tennis lessons, socializing, entertainment professional dues, etc etc for 4 persons.
That is exactly my point. What you are talking about is an middle upper class problem not middle class. Perhaps VanSky members will relate better to your troubles.
Advertisement
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

^^You are confusing rich with elites. Vansky members are rich, but they're not elites.

Elites are well off, not necessarily rich. Elites get to where they are based on a meritocracy not nepotism. The common denominator is that elites are intelligent and well educated and earn their income primarily as a result of that. My SO and I got to where we are based on our own merits. We have nothing in common with VanSky members.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #53
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
^^You are confusing rich with elites. Vansky members are rich, but they're not elites.

Elites are well off, not necessarily rich. Elites get to where they are based on a meritocracy not nepotism. The common denominator is that elites are intelligent and well educated and earn their income primarily as a result of that. My SO and I got to where we are based on our own merits. We have nothing in common with VanSky members.
If you were truly elite, you wouldn't be making a yeoman's salary of $300K - you would be managing a Fortune 500 company and have an annual income of several million dollars after commissions, bonuses, and stock options. Besides, with your smarts, you should have been a venture capitalist or an entrepreneur.

I looked at your budget and I can understand some expenses, such as housing, food, and cars, but do you really need to put your kids through private school and American Ivy League post-secondary schools? There's nothing wrong with kids who come out of a school such as Lord Byng and undergrad degrees are worth nothing these days so it doesn't matter where you kids get them so long as they're from a respected North American institution. I work with a guy who went to St. George's and he makes a mere 15K more than me and he's got almost 10 years on me. Now, if you want your kids to become Freemasons, then I suppose you would need to get them into Ivy League schools...
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If you were truly elite, you wouldn't be making a yeoman's salary of $300K - you would be managing a Fortune 500 company and have an annual income of several million dollars after commissions, bonuses, and stock options. Besides, with your smarts, you should have been a venture capitalist or an entrepreneur.
I don't think you are casting your net wide enough. A heart surgeon is certainly an elite and they do not pull in millions of dollars. Many former farmers who are newly minted factory owners in China are entrepreneurs and make millions of dollars a year, but they are not elites.

To be a Fortune 500 CEO, you generally do have to be an elite these days.

Quote:
I looked at your budget and I can understand some expenses, such as housing, food, and cars, but do you really need to put your kids through private school and American Ivy League post-secondary schools? There's nothing wrong with kids who come out of a school such as Lord Byng and undergrad degrees are worth nothing these days so it doesn't matter where you kids get them so long as they're from a respected North American institution.
I don't really agree with this. Have you heard of legacy admissions? Lots of kids go to the same schools where their parents are alumns.

Quote:
I work with a guy who went to St. George's and he makes a mere 15K more than me and he's got almost 10 years on me. Now, if you want your kids to become Freemasons, then I suppose you would need to get them into Ivy League schools...
Good schools open additional opportunities. What one does with those opportunities is up to the individual. Going to a good school is neither a necessary nor sufficient factor of success.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #55
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
I don't think you are casting your net wide enough. A heart surgeon is certainly an elite and they do not pull in millions of dollars. Many former farmers who are newly minted factory owners in China are entrepreneurs and make millions of dollars a year, but they are not elites.

To be a Fortune 500 CEO, you generally do have to be an elite these days.
I would argue that your definition of someone who is elite is quite narrow and of course self-serving.

To me, an elite is someone who makes a 1% salary - full stop. It shouldn't matter what 'class' his profession is.

Quote:
I don't really agree with this. Have you heard of legacy admissions? Lots of kids go to the same schools where their parents are alumns.

Good schools open additional opportunities. What one does with those opportunities is up to the individual. Going to a good school is neither a necessary nor sufficient factor of success.
Where did you go to school? Aren't you a UBC product? If you are, then you're living proof of someone who beat the odds and made it big. Wouldn't you want to teach your kids the value of hard work and making it on their own?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #56
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
And this is awesome at how relevant it is to the subject at hand.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #57

[quote=Tapioca;8008839]I would argue that your definition of someone who is elite is quite narrow and of course self-serving.

To me, an elite is someone who makes a 1% salary - full stop. It shouldn't matter what 'class' his profession is.
[quote]

No, I completely disagree. We have to differentiate between those buffoons that happen upon their fortune and contribute little to humanity. I won't be lumped in with a snooki. Elites act, work and think in different ways. They are your bankers, lawyers, scientists and engineers.

Quote:
Where did you go to school? Aren't you a UBC product? If you are, then you're living proof of someone who beat the odds and made it big. Wouldn't you want to teach your kids the value of hard work and making it on their own?
It does take hard work to get accepted to a top 3 US school. Why wouldn't my kids fit the target demographic of those schools?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #58
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

I do like how the thread derailed. For the sake of debate.

"An elite in political and sociological theory, is a small group of people who control a disproportionate amount of wealth or political power." For example, military elite, economic elite, and political elite - these are terms that I have seen used in the Globe & Mail and they are discussed frequently into the aforementioned disciplines.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 08-20-2012 at 11:41 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote