REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #3401
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ya i know i know.....fuck it i'm moving to honduras and never coming back lol

thanks guys....it's helped just typing my thoughts out

i do have the option of keeping the house, renting it out (approx $800+/month "profit" after all the yearly taxes/utilities and insurance is factored in) and cashing in some RRSP's ($15K) to cover some of the traveling costs that's we'll need on top of what we'll save before we go.
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #3402
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
If you decide to keep your home and your mortgage is up, why not borrow a little more against the equity in your home, rather than cash out some RRSP? Sounds like you'll still be in the black from renting..

I am not a financial advisor, but I would definitely discuss this option with the bank as well before deciding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #3403
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
for me right now i'm killing myself trying to figure out if i decline and take it off the market and rent it out.....i know after everything this option sounds crazy but i just don't know what the fuck to do
Before you get too far into pulling the plug on your listing, check with your agent. There's a line in the seller's contract that states something along the lines of if you get an offer of your asking price or more, and you decide not to go through with the sale for whatever reason, you still have to pay the agent their commission as agreed to in the listing contract. The subjects and subject removal dates your offer have put in are pretty much standard, and not really grounds to reject the offer on your part

So just double check with your agent first if they are cool with you not going through with the sale without any cost to you.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
If you decide to keep your home and your mortgage is up, why not borrow a little more against the equity in your home, rather than cash out some RRSP? Sounds like you'll still be in the black from renting..

I am not a financial advisor, but I would definitely discuss this option with the bank as well before deciding.
that's a good idea, i'll look into it...not sure what the long term "cost" would be for say $30K....i guess just the mortgage rate? ie 2.7% for the year? i think i can get a line of credit for less, i'll have to check. it will be a short work year for me (approx 3 months total) so i think the RRSP's might be a better option???

as for the cancellation...$250 to cover fees/photographer and I'm all done.....i was happy it's only that and was expecting much more especially after reading the clause you refered to. we both signed the cancellation form. she knows she'll be my first call when/if i come home to sell and buy another propety
Old 03-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #3405
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Hey 4444, still waiting for the right fundamentals to kick in? lol!
you are, undeniably, a fucking idiot.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #3406
UFO

glad that worked out with the cancellation. She could have been a real dick and had every right to pull the contract line on you. But in the end she really didn't have to do a whole lot of work and didn't have much invested into your listing. I could easily see some of the real estate 'sharks' making life difficult for you.

Cashing out RRSP's are rarely a good idea. Depending on how much you cash out, a pretty high % is taken off right off the bat and then whatever you take out is added to your income for the year. An expert may give you the better details. Just play with the numbers and see if it makes sense.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #3407

ya she handled it really well..

i honestly don't know much about cashing in RRSP's so i will definitely read up on it. i thought it just counted as income for the year...

Last edited by blkgsr; 03-30-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:00 AM   #3408
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I would rather borrow against my home than withdraw from RRSP's. As my mortgage advisor said mortgage rates are at historic lows if you are going to borrow might as well borrow now and use your equity. Unless you are buying a new car where you can get 0%/1%/2% financing there is not much better than borrowing from your home. Check out the withholding tax below its not worth it:

•10% on amounts up to $5,000;
•20% on amounts over $5,000 up to including $15,000; and
•30% on amounts over $15,000.

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
SupraMan604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #3409
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
you are, undeniably, a fucking idiot.
calling people names, wow, you are mature, you are like a little child who can't admit it when he's not right......you comments make me laugh though.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:41 AM   #3410
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It's just withholding though, you'll get it back when you do your taxes early next year.

It depends on your income situation, if you will make very little in 2015 it's more advantageous to take it out now.. you probably have made money on your investments within your rrsp and made a deduction while you were in a higher tax bracket..
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 AM   #3411

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan604 View Post
I would rather borrow against my home than withdraw from RRSP's. As my mortgage advisor said mortgage rates are at historic lows if you are going to borrow might as well borrow now and use your equity. Unless you are buying a new car where you can get 0%/1%/2% financing there is not much better than borrowing from your home. Check out the withholding tax below its not worth it:

•10% on amounts up to $5,000;
•20% on amounts over $5,000 up to including $15,000; and
•30% on amounts over $15,000.
just so i understand this right.....say i cash out $4999....i will only get $4499 as 10% will immediately be taken for tax? then at the end of the year when i do my taxes everything will be combines (say like having 2 T4's) then all worked out?

$10,000 becomes $8000 etc etc

thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM   #3412
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
If blkgsr doesn't plan to have kids, then the decision is easy. You can live anywhere, provided you have immigration status and work.

If you do plan to have kids, then the decision is tougher because no matter what people say, stability is important.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM   #3413

currently plan for the near future (1+ years) no....but my wife (and i guess deep down me too) yes

i put the house back up on craigslist this morning, already had two calls. now i get to be SUPER stringent on who i'm letting live there this time

any recommendations for sites/services i can use to do credit/back ground checks on people??
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #3414
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ If your long-term plan is to raise a family, then it's helpful to have as much stability as possible. But, I do know families who rent long-term too, despite having the means to own. At least you're lucky enough to have choices.

You might think you have a handle on your wife's emotions now, but it's a different ballgame if you're fortunate enough to have a kid or two.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #3415
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
just so i understand this right.....say i cash out $4999....i will only get $4499 as 10% will immediately be taken for tax? then at the end of the year when i do my taxes everything will be combines (say like having 2 T4's) then all worked out?

$10,000 becomes $8000 etc etc

thanks
Yes you are correct and whatever you take out will be counted as income so when you do your taxes your income will be higher with the amount taken out of your RRSP. As Waddy says if your income is low then it may be okay to take it out but you will need to work out the math/taxes for yourself to know. I would still personally borrow instead as I rather save and invest the RRSP which probably could get me a better return to leverage me borrowing on low interest from my home. If you have the RRSP's in a chequing account with no interest then.....take it out

S-exy
U-ber
P-owerful
R-aw
A-nimal
SupraMan604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #3416

ya i have a small amount that's sitting doing nothing (99% of the rest is in an active account)...this was all last minute RRSP contributions from last year and this year (didn't transfer over last years as i was too lazy to get it done before i went away)

i'm getting the house rented out ASAP before we go so that will help alot with getting some extra cash
Old 04-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #3417
UFO

semi off topic question, with the transit vote upcoming.

WTF have the city's been doing with the increased property taxes they have collected? Say an average house has increased value 25% over the past 5 years (imaginary numbers), that's a huge increase in property tax revenues to the city for not having to really provide any increase in services (because there aren't more residents). So where the hell is all that money gone? We can say Gregor's bike lanes, but the burbs don't have these bike lanes...
Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #3418

coquitlam's new garbage and recycling program is supposed to save the city millions yet i pay more now for the same/less service??
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #3419
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post

WTF have the city's been doing with the increased property taxes they have collected? Say an average house has increased value 25% over the past 5 years (imaginary numbers), that's a huge increase in property tax revenues to the city for not having to really provide any increase in services (because there aren't more residents). So where the hell is all that money gone? We can say Gregor's bike lanes, but the burbs don't have these bike lanes...
hmm maybe affordable housing, bike lanes, parks, schools, more money in gov's own pocket?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #3420
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:

Same can be said for the Province and Feds'

For every $1 the City collects in Property Taxes only about $0.06 goes to the City and the rest gets goes to the Provincial and Federal Government. But yes I know, even with the split the City's biggest revenue is still from taxes.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #3421
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

This is a huge misconception. If your property increased by 25%, it does not mean that your taxes go up 25%.

How it works is the city sets a budget, for the city of Vancouver, this has been increasing 2-5% every year since real estate has been going up. They set a mill rate (Tax rate) - about 3.70$ on every $1,000 of value. So if your property is worth $1 million, you pay about $3,700.

Do you think that if prices go down 50% next year, that the city will cut property taxes by 50%? No, they will just increase the TAX RATES by 100% to meet their budgetary requirements.

Depending on how much your property increases in relation to the average property, will determine if your property taxes goes up or down. If everyone is increasing 30%, but you are increasing only 10%, your property taxes may go down from year to year.

Because property values have been increasing since the last decade, the tax rates have been going down every year - use to be above 4%, now its 3.7%.

one of the largest portion of our taxes goes to. .. . police officers and firefighters.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 AM   #3422
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

2 River Green vip preview
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #3423
I don't get it

New apartment inspection tomorrow. what should I look out for?
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #3424
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
Spoiler!

Is this like the new wheres waldo?

Spoiler!

With the look on his face though he might be lost.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #3425
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post

everyone is there to play a major role in consolidating resources and driving innovation in the local and international markets.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote