REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #3426
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
New apartment inspection tomorrow. what should I look out for?
Make sure everything is running working (laundry, washer, drying, plumbing, electric outlid, sink etc etc.... stove is on) make sure there are no dents and everything is even, hardwood floor are all even.
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #3427
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Bring post notes and stick them where ever you see any scratches, dents, or anything that needs to be fixed.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #3428
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Everyone pull our your crystal balls.....

Thoughts on mortgages as mines up at the end of the month...right now I'm with Scotia being offered 2.79% 5 year fixed and Prime - .55% (2.3%) for a 5 year variable

Meeting with RBC tomorrow (who i bank with) but already over the phone i've been told 2.65% 5 year fixed and Prime - 0.65% (2.2%) for 5 year variable

anyone else i should check out? for the next few years i'm not going to be worried about who let's me prepay more etc as i'll be travelling and any extra money from the rent will be used on that.

my question is fixed or variable????
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #3429
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
for the next few years i'm not going to be worried about who let's me prepay more etc as i'll be travelling and any extra money from the rent will be used on that.

You've just answered your own question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #3430

uh no....
Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #3431
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

variable
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #3432
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
Everyone pull our your crystal balls.....

Thoughts on mortgages as mines up at the end of the month...right now I'm with Scotia being offered 2.79% 5 year fixed and Prime - .55% (2.3%) for a 5 year variable

Meeting with RBC tomorrow (who i bank with) but already over the phone i've been told 2.65% 5 year fixed and Prime - 0.65% (2.2%) for 5 year variable

anyone else i should check out? for the next few years i'm not going to be worried about who let's me prepay more etc as i'll be travelling and any extra money from the rent will be used on that.

It all depends on your risk tolerance and your views on where the Canadian economy is headed. If you're traveling for a few years, do you think that the Bank of Canada will raise the interest rate?

It might be a good idea to run a few scenarios with a mortgage calculator and see how much a 1-1.5% interest rate increase will affect your cash flow with a variable rate.

If you don't care about prepayment options, why not try a smaller lender that offers better rates? There are lots of smaller lenders being parroted on places like RedFlagDeals if you simply want a no-frills, lowest-rate mortgage.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #3433
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
If you take a fixed rate mortgage, your month payments will be the same for the X number of years.
You end up paying a little more $ in the long run, but it gives you a little piece of mind as you and your wife are on your travels.

With a variable mortgage, you save some $ that you can spend on your travels, but *When* the US raises their rates, the Bank of Canada will follow suit and your variable rate may go up by 1-2%.

Ask yourself this. How much prinicple do you owe? How much of a difference will it be each month between the lower fixed rate and variable rate?
Is the difference that much that it will affect you during your travels.

For me, I think the simplest answer if fixed rate and enjoy your travel with the misses.

*** Rates have been too low for too long. It isn't that hard to imagine the US raising their rates and the BOC raising their overnight lending rates in the next year or 2. ***
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #3434
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

It depends on your risk tolerance. If you are even worrying about it, you probably should go fixed. I sleep fine with variable.

I also recommend shopping around. If you spend 10 seconds, ratehub has 5 year fixed for 2.47% and 5 year variable for 2.00%. A lot of banks will match if you show them a comparable rate.

I got a mortgage 3 years ago at prime -.9. My updated mortgage agreement is now at 1.95% variable.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #3435

ya i hear you guys...

my broker got back to me and says he can get me 2.44% 5 year fixed with MCAP MCAP - Residential- Commercial - Mortgage Lending

anyone heard of them??
Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #3436

only issue right now might be i've only been employed for 2 months with my company and being away last year my 2014 T4 was minimal....i've asked him if a signed rental lease will help. hoping to have that locked down this weekend
Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #3437
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
One thing about going open variable is if you decide you're going to keep traveling and want to sell in a year or two you won't be paying penalties like you will locking in. The way you've kind of been flipping between renting and selling I'd keep my options open but to each his own.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #3438
I STILL don't get it

just go with the 5 year variable 2.20% renew with Scotia they can get that rate. there is no income verification on renewals.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #3439

he can also get me 2% variable
Old 04-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #3440
My homepage has been set to RS

I've heard rumours that the rates may drop even further over the next couple of weeks - certainly not good for the economy but may ramp up even more home buyers.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #3441

ya head something is supposed to be announced on wednesday??
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #3442
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

????????? ????57???? | ?????? | taiyangbao.ca

bidding war still going on?
east van? omg...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #3443
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Rush View Post
I've heard rumours that the rates may drop even further over the next couple of weeks - certainly not good for the economy but may ramp up even more home buyers.
idiots will continue to buy, w/e, their financial funeral

USD will rise relative to CAD, great for ppl like me (that have their wealth more weighted to USD, especially as i'll be bringing some over soon)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #3444

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
idiots will continue to buy, w/e, their financial funeral

USD will rise relative to CAD, great for ppl like me (that have their wealth more weighted to USD, especially as i'll be bringing some over soon)
really now? It is very funny to know who is profiting and not profiting on real estate in Vancouver. Anyone who bought dirt in Vancouver even 12 months ago, has seen their property value increase by +30%. Regardless, you have been preaching everyone is so dumb who buy in Vancouver, but if they didn't listen to your rhetoric they have made a nice tidy tax free profit. Since you have no clue about Vancouver, you would not know developers are trolling the West side of Vancouver to buy houses above asking to developed them. With the changes to high density zoning in Vancouver, prices still continue to climb because developers know you can still make money.

Keep bragging about how smart of an investor you are and I will keep laughing at you! haha!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #3445

been crunching some numbers: i've got approx $280,000 left

this is all accelerated weekly

5 year fixed at 2.44% (25 year) is $311.49, (20 year) is $368.48
5 year variable at 2% (prime - 0.85%) (25 year) is $296.70, (20 year) is $354.12

on the 25 year amortization there's approx a $3600 difference over the 5 years (approx $15 per week x 4 weeks/month x 12 months) i know that's not exactly but close enough

WHEN rates go up, in a couple years that margin closes pretty quickly....
Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #3446
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/b...-davie-street/
Could micro-condos help address Vancouver’s housing supply and affordability issues?

Reliance Properties plans to build a 25 to 30-storey tower at 902 Davie Street, a site at the southwest corner of Davie and Hornby streets that is currently occupied by a 7-Eleven convenience store.

The tower will be comprised of micro-units between 175 and 275 square feet, with outdoor gardens every few floors and a rooftop space as well as amenities such as a dining spaces, an electronic library and a study hall.

According to Retail Insider, the tower’s podium includes a grocery store between 20,000 and 35,000 square feet in size. Although one of the building’s renderings suggest a Whole Foods store for the location, the grocery chain has not been confirmed for the site.

Some will love the facade design for the contrast it provides, but others will perhaps hate it for breaking the city’s condominium ‘cookie cutter’ homogeneity of green and blue-coloured glass towers.

Los Angeles-based Neil M. Denari Architects (NMDA) is responsible for the tower’s design of a bold, black ‘bee hive’ that highlight the perimeter dimensions of each micro-condo unit.

“Each one of these strata or blocks includes a corner void that has been cut out of the original form that creates local cantilevers and momentary disruptions in the extrusion of the mass,” writes NMDA on their website. “The treatment of the facades articulates the tension between foreground and background, with ironically, the negative spaces positioned as ‘unique’ elements within the field.”

“In combination with the highly impastoed red surfaces of the voids, the overall graphic and formal effect of the project contrasts the straightforward against the sculptural.”

The building is located on the same city block as the Jim Pattison Group’s Burrard Place, which is another Reliance Properties project and accounted for in the renderings. Construction on the three-building project, which includes a 54-storey and 36-storey residential towers and a 7-storey office building, is expected to begin soon.

902 Davie Street has yet to reach the City of Vancouver’s formal application stage. But if approved, this will be Reliance Properties’ second micro-unit condo project in Vancouver.

In 2011, the developer transformed Burns Block on 18 Hastings Street into a 30-unit micro-condo development consisting of units between 226 to 291 square feet in size.

275sq ft units. I guess the ones from surrey (300 sq ft) is bigger lol. Guess soon we will be like Hong Kong.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #3447

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #3448
RS controls my life!

^

its funny cause its true
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #3449
RS controls my life!

hello RS.

is it possible to request for a thread listing new developments that are potentially good buys?
josel_atr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #3450
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josel_atr View Post
hello RS.

is it possible to request for a thread listing new developments that are potentially good buys?
As time goes by, I am more and more convinced there's no such thing as a "good buy" in Vancouver anymore. I'd seriously rather rent and invest elsewhere.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote