REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Why BMW Needs To Do Front-Drive Cars

Why BMW Needs To Do Front-Drive Cars | The Truth About Cars

Quote:
For many of the brand’s faithful, a front-driver BMW is a revolting prospect. It’s the four-wheeled equivalent of tofu-based bacon or a cigarette without nicotine. But BMW is banking on small cars in a big way – their new front drive architecture, dubbed UKL, will underpin as many as 12 front-drive products from BMW and Mini. And frankly, not doing a front-drive range would be a display of poor judgement on the part of management.

Lest anyone accuse me of apostasy, let’s look at the facts. Mercedes-Benz did a front-drive platform and survived. Audi is making some of the most significant advancements in modern automobile production with the new A3 which uses – you guessed it – the front-drive MQB platform. Both of these auto makers have BMW squarely in the sights. They want to overtake BMW as the number one premium auto maker, and they can easily do it – unless BMW builds a front-drive car of their own.

Notice how the front-drivers from Mercedes and Audi are all compact hatchbacks while the serious stuff, the models we all know and love, use longitudinal layouts and rear or all-wheel drive? That’s not going to change any time soon at those two companies or BMW. All three of them are smart enough to know that their core vehicles need to retain this layout for a number of reasons.

But the post-recession era has seen a whole new segment of luxury vehicles pop up; the premium small car. Many are tempted to write off cars like the Mini, the Fiat 500 and the Opel Adam as limp-wristed compacts for self-concious urbanites who wouldn’t dare condescend to a mainstream economy car. In many parts of the world, it’s not just strivers who buy these cars, but financially secure (and even the truly wealthy) consumers who don’t want or need a larger car. Parking, vehicle taxes, fuel consumption, emissions and other factors can all be taken into account as well, but sales of these cars are on the rise and BMW wants a piece of the action. And it doesn’t look like it will be so terrible. European media have already driven powertrain mules of the new 3-cylinder engine set to be used in the UKL cars. How does a 221-horsepower turbocharged three-banger sound?

The only way to build any kind of car these days is maximize the economies of scale. The development of a new car costs billions, and the best way to amortize this is to do what Volkswagen did – build everything from the Polo to the next-generation Passat on one modular architecture. Ironically, Volkswagen took their cues from BMW, who had a “1.0″ version of the modular platform in effect with the 3-Series and 5-Series.

For BMW to make the investment in an all-new architecture worthwhile, they’re going to have to spread UKL around as much as possible – that means a new 1-Series with sedan, coupe, convertible, hatchback and crossover variants (1-Series GT anyone?), as well as a new MINI and all the variants that entails. This is the kind of thing that makes “enthusiasts” (of the sort with very narrow definitions of what a car should be) roll their eyes, but for better or worse, this is the way things are done in the automotive world these days. And if BMW’s projections are correct, you better get used to it real fast – an interview with Automotive News has one BMW exec stating that UKL vehicles are expected to account for 40 percent of BMW Group’s global sales within a decade.
Sounds like the same rationale that Porsche used to make the Cayenne SUV. As much as we all dread a FWD 1 series, BMW has made the Mini Cooper for 6 years now, and needs to continue to make FWD to stay profitable.
Advertisement
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
AWD > RWD > FWD

It is all about the feel of the ride.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quite frankly, I'm surprised such an article even needs to be written in the first place. All things being equal, FWD are cheaper to manufacture than RWD or AWD. BMW (and the majority of other German luxury marques) have been expanding their entry level portfolio in attempt to grow their business. And they already need an FWD platform for the Mini.

Can't understand why we need to be shown stuff as obvious as 1+1=2...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
AWD > RWD > FWD

4x4 > AWD > RWD > FWD
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
^Genuine question, what is the difference? Between 4x4 and AWD. Also, 4WD = AWD?
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
#deephouse

All wheel drive is always all four wheels. 4x4 you can switch back and forth.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Love awd in the winter but its pretty boring on dry pavement.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
afaik, 4x4 requires some sort of transfer case to be manually engaged in order to get the 4 wheels going. with awd, all the wheels are constantly powered with torque being distributed as needed.

4x4 is also 50/50 where as most awd systems have some sort of power bias.

atleast thats how i learned it
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
AWD > RWD > FWD

AWD Feel > RWD Feel?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
AWD Feel > RWD Feel?
RWD > AWD > FWD
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
AWD Feel > RWD Feel?
Exactly - RWD feel is much better than AWD - the front wheels are just steering, instead of powering...
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
#deephouse

How about in snow :O
Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Exactly - RWD feel is much better than AWD - the front wheels are just steering, instead of powering...
The thing is unless you're on a track, 99% of the time you're not using enough power or taking corners with enough speed to even notice the difference between the three systems.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
#savethemanuals

Even in normal city driving the difference between RWD and FWD is like night and day. When taking corners FWD hesitates or doesn't seem to want to turn in at all due to understeer. Lots of FWD drivers inevitably "cut the corner" in 90 degree turns when driving. The only FWD car I've driven that doesn't do this as much is the Mini.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
The thing is unless you're on a track, 99% of the time you're not using enough power or taking corners with enough speed to even notice the difference between the three systems.
I don't agree. I've driven my buddies Mazdaspeed 3 - it's roughly the same weight, power and size of my Legacy. But the torque steer in that car is overwhelming. Even in second gear, I hesitate to go full throttle because the steering tugs so much in either direction. This is amplified going around any corner - it's a slow-in, fast -out type of car.

Yes, I know the speed3 is know for torque steer, but it does make a difference if you are comparing cars that have more power than econoboxes.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
N8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Even in normal city driving the difference between RWD and FWD is like night and day. When taking corners FWD hesitates or doesn't seem to want to turn in at all due to understeer. Lots of FWD drivers inevitably "cut the corner" in 90 degree turns when driving. The only FWD car I've driven that doesn't do this as much is the Mini.
I think if you're getting understeer in a corner on the street you probably are going a bit too fast no?
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
How about in snow :O
The debate about RWD performing in snow? I would say often misunderstood.

Throw on some snow tires, don't drive like a retard and you're set. Anybody else who says otherwise is a noob at driving, retarded and should take what is called public transit.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
I don't agree. I've driven my buddies Mazdaspeed 3 - it's roughly the same weight, power and size of my Legacy. But the torque steer in that car is overwhelming. Even in second gear, I hesitate to go full throttle because the steering tugs so much in either direction. This is amplified going around any corner - it's a slow-in, fast -out type of car.

Yes, I know the speed3 is know for torque steer, but it does make a difference if you are comparing cars that have more power than econoboxes.
Lift some fucking weights.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 View Post
I think if you're getting understeer in a corner on the street you probably are going a bit too fast no?
It has nothing to do with the speed even if RWD can carry a higher speed through a corner.

Try taking a 90 degree corner and try to turn into the curb lane with a FWD vs RWD car. Even going 30km/h you'll find that the FWD car has to brake earlier and turn in just feels sloppy. You can actually feel that you are being pulled through the corner as opposed to being pushed through it.

Of course none of this matters if you're just DDing or don't want much excitement in your drive.

Last edited by Energy; 11-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Understeer is the front tires no longer holding grip. Your saying that you are breaking loose the front tires just around corners while normal city driving?
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
rwd seems to feel more natural around a turn.. at least from the rwds I have owned so far..

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I was test driving cars this summer and was excited to drive my first rear-drive car (Genesis Coupe). I didn't notice a big difference from driving a front wheel drive for my entire life. Maybe it was because of the heavy car or traction control voodoo. I wasn't pushing it too much around corners tho. I found the Veloster Turbo just as fun for DD-ing.

The BMW thing is kinda funny because they bragged rear-wheel-drive in ads during the 90s. But it makes sense. FWD can be ok too and they're not converting any M3s or performance models to front wheel drive so the only impact is on entry-level cars.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
rwd seems to feel more natural around a turn.. at least from the rwds I have owned so far..
Totally agree, Stock for Stock RWD cars generally “feel” better. Part of that is the feeling and control of being “shoved” rather than “pulled”, but add to it that most RWD cars today make a point of being a bit more performance oriented than your average grocery getting FWD hatchback. This is more about suspension setup and chassis stiffness. But I’m not sure I understand how someone would be getting understeer during normal city driving in a corner.

If your comparing the turn in response at 25-30kmkm per hour of a stock Honda Civic and a stock BMW, the BMW will always have a sharper turn in and better steering response, but not because of an understeer situation. Or at least, it SHOULDNT be becouse of understeer.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
yep. feels more natural than front driving wheels: driven 3 series xi and rwd models and the 4matic / rwd benzes.. rwd just feels nicer.
Posted via RS Mobile
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #25

lol is everyone in here a race car driver or something? It really shouldn't be possible for one to experience the difference in fwd and rwd handling. I've personally driven a 4wd for one year and a rwd for two years and I can say there is little to no difference in cornering or anything else in city conditions. Electric aids such as the new electric power steering numbs the road feel even more so which I believe contributes the most to 'feel'. Suspensions and everything else is for track use only, hence why most manufactures are moving toward torsion beam rear suspensions. Cause in reality there is no difference; evident in the Volkswagon Jetta. So to sum it up, no, rwd and fwd will not change driving dynamics for the daily commuter. And to bring this back on topic, I think it'd be great to have a fwd in the BMW line up besides the cooper.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: