REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
I've felt the difference of FWD vs RWD in my steering radius..
Advertisement
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Understeer is the front tires no longer holding grip. Your saying that you are breaking loose the front tires just around corners while normal city driving?
Quote:
Totally agree, Stock for Stock RWD cars generally “feel” better. Part of that is the feeling and control of being “shoved” rather than “pulled”, but add to it that most RWD cars today make a point of being a bit more performance oriented than your average grocery getting FWD hatchback. This is more about suspension setup and chassis stiffness. But I’m not sure I understand how someone would be getting understeer during normal city driving in a corner.

If your comparing the turn in response at 25-30kmkm per hour of a stock Honda Civic and a stock BMW, the BMW will always have a sharper turn in and better steering response, but not because of an understeer situation. Or at least, it SHOULDNT be becouse of understeer.
From google:

verb /ˌəndərˈsti(ə)r/ (of a motor vehicle) Have a tendency to turn less sharply than is intended

This really doesn't have anything to do with tires breaking loose... More to do with the dynamics of your car.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
From google:

verb /ˌəndərˈsti(ə)r/ (of a motor vehicle) Have a tendency to turn less sharply than is intended

This really doesn't have anything to do with tires breaking loose... More to do with the dynamics of your car.
Understeer is all about grip, and slip angle. It has everything to do with your tires breaking loose. By definition, the front tire is not matching the steering input, which means............... it’s not gripping.

You can induce or reduce understeer in car setup (or vehicle dynamics if you like), but actual understeer itself is the fact the front tires are loosing grip, so the vehicle is going on a more forward direction that the driver is inputing.

If you want some reading, dont look up vague definitions on Google, try something like this:

Understeer - Trackpedia

But as per being on topic, I also have zero issue with “high end” FWD cars. Mercedes has done well with them, I’m surprised BMW hasn’t had one sooner.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
#savethemanuals

Quote:
There is a technical definition and the real world one. The technical definition of understeer is when the front tires have a greater slip angle than the rears. Oversteer is when the rear tires have a greater slip angle than the fronts.

In real world terms, understeer is when the car won't turn any sharper, even if you turn the steering wheel more. At some point, the front end may start to grip less even when the steering is turned sharply and the result is the car continues in more of a straight line than a sharp turn. That is understeer.

That's what I wanted to say but they said it better than I ever could. We are not on the track here and are talking about driving in the real world. Your definition is correct and so is mine.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #30
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juwlzx View Post
lol is everyone in here a race car driver or something? It really shouldn't be possible for one to experience the difference in fwd and rwd handling. I've personally driven a 4wd for one year and a rwd for two years and I can say there is little to no difference in cornering or anything else in city conditions. Electric aids such as the new electric power steering numbs the road feel even more so which I believe contributes the most to 'feel'. Suspensions and everything else is for track use only, hence why most manufactures are moving toward torsion beam rear suspensions. Cause in reality there is no difference; evident in the Volkswagon Jetta. So to sum it up, no, rwd and fwd will not change driving dynamics for the daily commuter. And to bring this back on topic, I think it'd be great to have a fwd in the BMW line up besides the cooper.
agreed with that. most normal herp derp average joes wont feel differences between them in a commuter. but keep in mind though, this is a car forum full of car enthusiasts, and yes enthusiasts tend to lean on "because race car" opinions.
Posted via RS Mobile
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
all work and no play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juwlzx View Post
lol is everyone in here a race car driver or something? It really shouldn't be possible for one to experience the difference in fwd and rwd handling.
I think you're on the wrong forum.
fuzebox is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzebox View Post
VLS is just a click away.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #33
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
People that don't know how to drive would say FWD are useless which is 90% on this forum.
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
AWD > RWD > FWD

It is all about the feel of the ride.
Make>fuel economy>tech features

It's all about showing off and impressing people around you.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
More like its all about impressing yourself.

Make > tech > fuel.

imo.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #36

Quote:
That's what I wanted to say but they said it better than I ever could. We are not on the track here and are talking about driving in the real world. Your definition is correct and so is mine.
You understand the link you pointed out is saying that understeer is a loss of grip on the front tire, right?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #37
#savethemanuals

Quote:
You understand the link you pointed out is saying that understeer is a loss of grip on the front tire, right?
We can argue this down to the tiniest detail but the point is simple: FWD cars have a tendency to turn in less sharply than intended. You can be going 10kmh or 100kmh and the effect is the same.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #38

Quote:
We can argue this down to the tiniest detail but the point is simple: FWD cars have a tendency to turn in less sharply than intended. You can be going 10kmh or 100kmh and the effect is the same.
I give up.

Back on topic:

“European media have already driven powertrain mules of the new 3-cylinder engine set to be used in the UKL cars. How does a 221-horsepower turbocharged three-banger sound?”
So I assume then that these are FWD layouts stuffed in a regular 1 series?

Last edited by 91civicZC; 11-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #39
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
^Genuine question, what is the difference? Between 4x4 and AWD. Also, 4WD = AWD?
4x4 will have a transfer case and some sort of locking hub/differential setup. Ability to choose 4HI, 4LO, 2HI, neutral.

4wd will act like awd in certain situations, depending on the manufacturer/system. Acceleration from a stop, 4wd. Once you hit a certain speed, 2wd (whether FWD or RWD) depends on the vehicle and the system. 4wd may also have a manual low setting via a push button. 4wd may also act like awd in that it may be on all the time (Full-time 4wd).

AWD = all wheels, all the time. Depending on the system, there may be a power bias to the front/rear. Subarus, for example, are 90/10 for automatic, 50/50 for standard transmissions. At least, they used to be. Whether this remains true, I honestly haven't researched lately.

Some 4wd systems are completely and utterly useless outside of paved road driving. Same goes for many true 4x4 systems when it comes to driving on dry pavement. They're made for slip situations where traction is an issue.

Anyways, that's the brief lesson on 4x4/4wd/awd for today.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
#savethemanuals

Quote:
I give up.

Back on topic:

“European media have already driven powertrain mules of the new 3-cylinder engine set to be used in the UKL cars. How does a 221-horsepower turbocharged three-banger sound?”
So I assume then that these are FWD layouts stuffed in a regular 1 series?
Great. You made several good points and I learned how to better explain understeer in a fancy technical way.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
why do people hate FWD so much?
I know this is kinda obvious, but it all depends.

I'm sure some FWD cars are more fun to drive, and better handling than some RWD cars.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
How about in snow :O
I am driving a 450 RWHP RWD V8 car with blizzaks and never had any issues in the winter.

It takes practice/skills to drive in the snow. Just because people put snow tires on their cars doesn't mean they become better drivers.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Back on topic, I don't think most people who buy low-end BMWs care wether it is RWD or FWD.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,308 Posts
Timpo. Shut up.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #45
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
why do people hate FWD so much?
I know this is kinda obvious, but it all depends.

I'm sure some FWD cars are more fun to drive, and better handling than some RWD cars.

The Crown Vic has an excellent turning radius and if it has RAS its quite stable in turns. And yes, this is from personal experiance. And its a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

Imagine a big 'ol Crown Vic, black on black, going down the highway. The left lane is always clear (; People slow down. Its the "crown vic effect"
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #46

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
WTCC has been dominated by FWD for a while now. Theres Audi's insane FWD TT-RS race car as well. Also, 2012 Superlap, an unlimited class FWD beat out the unlimted AWD class car by 2 seconds a lap... its not a matter of FWD being inferior; or can't handle; or not as fun.

Its just that when you think BMW, you tend to associate it with RWD.

Don't think RWD can do this either..

Oops, a FWD manage to be one of the best car ever...
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/carg...e_r34_gtr.html

They REALLY need to sell these overseas

Last edited by JoshuaWong; 11-23-2012 at 08:46 PM.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #47
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Im asking if its more fun :P
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzebox View Post
Realistically speaking bmw is probably more concerned about their target market, which is the average joe, not ppl like you and i as car enthusiates. I want bmw to stay true to it's roots to but you gotta be realistic. Car enthusiates only make up about maybe 5% of the Car market. Take the dieing away of manuals as a testament to the new target audience.

Besides, I don't think there is a problem with progress in cars... I personally drive a rwd and thats how it always will be, even if somehow fwds are the fastest shit on the planet.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Kidnapman; 11-23-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #49
straight from the fields of squamton

after 12 years of owning many cars, from 350hp fwd DSMs to 350hp RWD nissans with many fwd nissans and rwd nissans or hyundais, plus being a mechanic for 5 years and test driving every average consumer car ever made, including everything from police interceptors to ambulances, 68 mustangs to 2013 F350 diesels........

the average consumer, bmw customer or not, will not notice the difference between fwd and rwd...until they get stuck in the snow

there are minor differences in turning radius that can be found, but that has more to do with engine bay layout than wheels putting power to the ground.

if BMW wants to put out fwd cars, all the best to them, if they can lower costs while doing that, they will win huge. they'll still be shitty and expensive to work on, but i support BMWs FWD decision 100%

with all that said, for pure fun outside the average consumers level, rwd is best (imo) rwd gives a feeling that no other layout can give, while fwd and awd can be faster and safer, rwd will always have it's place
Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #50
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
It is all about the feel of the ride.
that's what she said!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity